Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Free Ludicrous Upgrade for Existing Owners

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, is a CPO/pre-owned buyer not considered a previous customer? BMW and Lexus never gave us different offers when we bought new and used. Lol.

Of course CPO / pre-owned buyers are considered a previous customers. However that doesn't entitle them to every incentive Tesla offers, just like ONLY a limited number of P85D owners who took possession during a limited window of time were entitled to the $5,000 Ludicrous update... and this 1/2 price Ludicrous upgrade offer was only for a limited period of time.

Notice limited. One of our kids is a veteran and was eligible for the homebuilder's (Lennar Homes) $2,000 off closing cost incentive. Non-veterans couldn't get the same offer.

There are countless examples of limited offers from sellers. Tesla is no different... and somebody is going to be offended they didn't qualify for the same offer.

Reactions: Seven7
Of course CPO / pre-owned buyers are considered a previous customers. However that doesn't entitle them to every incentive Tesla offers, just like ONLY a limited number of P85D owners who took possession during a limited window of time were entitled to the $5,000 Ludicrous update... and this 1/2 price Ludicrous upgrade offer was only for a limited period of time.

Notice limited. One of our kids is a veteran and was eligible for the homebuilder's (Lennar Homes) $2,000 off closing cost incentive. Non-veterans couldn't get the same offer.

There are countless examples of limited offers from sellers. Tesla is no different... and somebody is going to be offended they didn't qualify for the same offer.

Comparing civilians and veterans for the Lennar is example is not quite the same. A similar comparison would be activist reserve vs regular military for qualifying for various military discounts.

But, I do agree there’s no way to make everyone happy. Just like how some on the forums without lifetime unlimited free supercharging get their bottoms all rolled up when they hear about locals frequently using Superchargers.

Comparing civilians and veterans for the Lennar is example is not quite the same. A similar comparison would be activist reserve vs regular military for qualifying for various military discounts.

The ICE manufacturers have also rewarded previous Lessees with discounts... but not previous Owners. Definitely UNfair to previous Owners but makes sense since the ICE manufacturers also typically make more money on leasing a car than selling it.

Again, doesn't matter. You have to be some dedicated cheapskate or running a business for it to matter.

I'm sorry. I'm neither of those things and it matters to me. Due to where I live, supercharging is my only option of charging, and non-free supercharging is VERY expensive. It's actually like 20-30% more expensive than putting gas in any new-ish car with fair MPG (not even necessarily hybrid).

Driving an EV but paying more than an ICE car for 'gas' is extremely counter-intuitive for me, which is why I can't even consider a new Tesla at the moment, even though I really want to.

• Funny
Reactions: bhzmark
I'm sorry. I'm neither of those things and it matters to me. Due to where I live, supercharging is my only option of charging, and non-free supercharging is VERY expensive. It's actually like 20-30% more expensive than putting gas in any new-ish car with fair MPG (not even necessarily hybrid).

Driving an EV but paying more than an ICE car for 'gas' is extremely counter-intuitive for me, which is why I can't even consider a new Tesla at the moment, even though I really want to.

I used The Google and it told me the residential electricity rate in Raleigh, NC is 10.43c/kWh. This is lower than the national average?

FWIW, We leased a P90D for the last 3 years. I ordered a 2019 Long Range, then heard about the offer for "free" Ludicrous for existing owners. I called and they changed my order to the Performance model and I got the Ludicrous upgrade.
Screen Shot 2019-06-05 at 12.06.15 PM.png

[Note, I say "free" because the Performance model was $10K more than I wanted to spend.... So yeah. Math.]

• Informative
Reactions: sorka and Seven7
Just to let anyone wondering know - you can't have them add free Ludicrous on a new inventory P100D. I asked.... I asked pretty hard.
That's interesting... I asked my OA that question and here is what he wrote back:

"The Model X Batteries are now as follows:

- Standard Range

- Extended Range

- Performance

- Performance with ludicrous

The Free Gifting of Ludicrous applies to both adding it for free for Performance Model X, as well as removing the $20,000 charge for the Performance with Ludicrous Model X options."

So are they saying that before the naming refresh, P100D wouldn't qualify, but the new naming convention "Performance" would?

I got free ludicrous on a Model X P100D yesterday. When I went to pick up the car they were puzzled/shocked that I got a fully loaded demo inventory P100D X for $81k. Totally possible that some employees don't know about the promo since it's not really common knowledge. Attached my build and they removed $20k on that price for the free ludicrous.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190629-210824.png
    Screenshot_20190629-210824.png
    293.6 KB · Views: 113
Reminds me of the call I got from one of our tenants during "The Great Recession". They insisted they were entitled to a rent reduction since market rents were lower than their lease. I asked why didn't they call me and offer to pay MORE when their rent was LESS than market before "The Great Recession". The deafening silence that followed was priceless. :D
Why shouldn't they try to negotiate their rent down? It sounds to me like the only mistake they made was not calling your bluff and moving out on you...or maybe they did as soon as the lease was up?

Why shouldn't they try to negotiate their rent down? It sounds to me like the only mistake they made was not calling your bluff and moving out on you...or maybe they did as soon as the lease was up?

NOPE. They stayed since they recognized:
  1. the monthly rent in our lease agreement is a binding legal agreement which still had 2+ years remaining.
  2. their rent in previous years was BELOW market rent was at that time... and only became ABOVE market rent for a limited period of time during that recession
  3. if they "called my bluff" (which WASN'T a bluff BTW) and moved out they'd STILL be legally responsible for the rent until I found a new tenant + any loss of rent if I re-rented our building at a lower rate than they were paying + all legal fees
  4. defaulting on a lease would show up on their business AND personal credit reports (they personally guaranteed their business's lease)
  5. moving their business was EXPENSIVE so any savings moving to another building with lower rent wouldn't save them much after amortizing their moving expense
  6. finding another industrial building landlord who would NOT contact their previous landlord (me) as part of their credit check was unlikely (most landlords are intelligent people)
  7. if they wanted to stay beyond their initial lease term they could renegotiate their rent to market AT THAT TIME
We've owned industrial buildings since 1984 which are rented to businesses who almost exclusively are owned by logical, non-emotional people. Moving out of a property you've leased before your lease is up is probably a short lived emotional high... followed by a horrible "RUH ROH" if your landlord decides to collect on your broken lease agreement.

"Calling your bluff" might make sense if you were on a month-to-month lease and your moving expense was small. Otherwise you're probably "letting your ego write a check you can't cash".

I was going to take advantage of the free ludicrous upgrade(placed order on April 26th, still no VIN) but was just told that I needed to be the original owner of the vehicle....and that a CPO purchase did not count. Kind of disappointing....Probably will just hold on to my P85DL instead of upgrading to the refresh right now. I wonder how many others are going to feel the same way.

So does this mean if I sell my P85DL, which I'm the original owner of, that I'll still be eligible for the free L upgrade?

Also, if I'm only placing an order if I can sell my current S for a price I want, do I have any time between selling and placing the order?

I suppose the answer to that would be place the order and then sell and then cancel before the cancel date. Although if it takes a long time to sell, that won't work.

Last edited: