Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Free Ludicrous Upgrade for Existing Owners

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There was blog post that said P85Ds could get a Ludicrous upgrade for a discount price and didn’t have the deadline, but there was one eventually. THe fact that a blog post didn’t have a deadline on this doesn’t mean that there won’t be one.

But how should Tesla manage this issue?

I think one way to do it is to make a Ludicrous Club that has an initiation fee: your first Ludicrous you have to pay for (whether $5k for the P85D, or upto $20k for now, or built in to the price for cars in between where Ludicrous was required for all Perfs) and after that you get Ludicrous for free on future Performance cars that you buy.

Last edited:
There was blog post that said P85Ds could get a Ludicrous upgrade for a discount price and didn’t have the deadline, but there was one eventually. THe fact that a blog post didn’t have a deadline on this doesn’t mean that there won’t be one.

But how should Tesla manage this issue?

I think one way to do it is to make a Ludicrous Club that has an initiation fee: your first Ludicrous you have to pay for (whether $5k for the P85D, or upto $20k for now, or built in to the price for cars in between where Ludicrous was required for all Perfs) and after that you get Ludicrous for free on future Performance cars that you buy.

Yea but that’s not profitable. So the other way around makes more sense.

Your first hit of Ludicrous is free. Just try it, it’s just a little acceleration, you’ll like it.

Your second will cost you. $20,000. But we’ll promise it’ll be stronger and last longer.

Can’t afford it? No problem, you have a chance to earn it. Just work it off, get out there on the streets and get some referrals. Don’t worry, the first ones free...

If you go on the website it will sense that you are a CPO owner and allow you to order the Performance model with your free Ludicrous discount.
Interesting. Yesterday I asked, they said yes and came back and said no. I wonder if they will on new builds but not inventory vehicles. Still felt like I was separated from other owners when the blog clearly says all current owners.

If you go on the website it will sense that you are a CPO owner and allow you to order the Performance model with your free Ludicrous discount.

How? I logged into my account. Click on "Design Yours" under model X. The performance MX LR Performance which now includes Ludi is $20K more than the base LR. If the Ludi is free, it should be $10K more like the original cost of P vs base. Just because you don't see the Ludi option anymore doesn't mean it's free.

How? I logged into my account. Click on "Design Yours" under model X. The performance MX LR Performance which now includes Ludi is $20K more than the base LR. If the Ludi is free, it should be $10K more like the original cost of P vs base. Just because you don't see the Ludi option anymore doesn't mean it's free.

was the base performance X $10k more than long range X before the price changes yesterday? I can't keep track...

Interesting. Yesterday I asked, they said yes and came back and said no. I wonder if they will on new builds but not inventory vehicles. Still felt like I was separated from other owners when the blog clearly says all current owners.

Yesterday, I was told they could comp Ludicrous on new RAVEN inventory vehicles, but not new pre-raven vehicles.

Edit/Background: I was standing in the Scottsdale Fashion Park Tesla Store when I posed the question. I was interested in a local inventory raven Model S, but wanted to see if free ludicrous applied (it did), if they could remove FSD (they could), and if I could downgrade the 21" twin turbine wheels (they couldn't do that).

That configuration went up in price $4,990 last night, and someone jumped on that car w/in a couple hours of the new pricing.

Last edited:
Reactions: SilverSp33d3r
That's what I'm getting at. As of a few days ago, the free ludicrous for current owners would have actually saved me a few grand over the current "free for all" pricing. Would be nice if they showed a bit more love to existing customers. At least put a decent referral program back into effect. The current one is a freaking joke.

That's what I'm getting at. As of a few days ago, the free ludicrous for current owners would have actually saved me a few grand over the current "free for all" pricing. Would be nice if they showed a bit more love to existing customers. At least put a decent referral program back into effect. The current one is a freaking joke.

Not many businesses out there that emphasize retention over acquisition. Just not business sense.
It's why people jump around jobs, ISPs, wireless carriers, insurance providers, practically everything.

I just went to price a new P model X.. if I could somehow get a $20k discount as a current customer I'd pull the trigger, but I'm not feeling it at the current pricing. I'm in the market for a new car at the moment, but I'm not feeling the love from Tesla and if I were to buy a new one today it'd be my 5th Tesla.

Guess I'll be waiting to see what the Taycan has to offer (but I'm not holding my breath, I expect it to be underwhelming, just like the IPace et al). I'll suffer along with my X90D and SP85D at the moment I suppose.

I just went to price a new P model X.. if I could somehow get a $20k discount as a current customer I'd pull the trigger, but I'm not feeling it at the current pricing. I'm in the market for a new car at the moment, but I'm not feeling the love from Tesla and if I were to buy a new one today it'd be my 5th Tesla.

Guess I'll be waiting to see what the Taycan has to offer (but I'm not holding my breath, I expect it to be underwhelming, just like the IPace et al). I'll suffer along with my X90D and SP85D at the moment I suppose.

If Tesla reads these l, that right there is the general sentiment. While I don’t expect the company to lose money over me, I feel they’ve pulled too much away. The ownership experience is more painful than it was during the early days, even though it’s more streamlined today.

As for the Taycan, I’m also waiting on mine. The iPace was a disappointment, but I think generally speaking Porsche has put more thought into their cars than Jaguar has. A good example is the F-Pace. Looks great, sounds great, but it was a package of disappointment. Not much fun to drive, not all that comfortable, it wasn’t terrible but it wasn’t great. Comparatively, the panamera and cayenne looked like quickly stretched versions of a 911, but man did both drive and perform well in their respective classes.

Reactions: Naonak