Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Free premium Connectivity ending

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
T&C’s:
https://www.tesla.com/en_GB/order/download-order-agreement?redirect=no&country=GB&model_code=m3

If you change the spec, Tesla can change the price. Its not quite so easy for Tesla to change the spec.

When you ordered the car, if it was included (no caveats) Tesla will honour it. Just raise a service ticket. If you’re not sure, check the spec on your order agreement and their website on your order date (not reservation date) Wayback Machine
I don’t remember seeing anything mentioned about ‘subscription required’. Nowadays time limits are shown/included.

If Tesla don’t play ball straight off they won’t try to defend a claim for misrepresentation / beach of contract for too long before giving in.

Reactions: Keeper
T&C’s:
https://www.tesla.com/en_GB/order/download-order-agreement?redirect=no&country=GB&model_code=m3

If you change the spec, Tesla can change the price. Its not quite so easy for Tesla to change the spec.

When you ordered the car, if it was included (no caveats) Tesla will honour it. Just raise a service ticket. If you’re not sure, check the spec on your order agreement and their website on your order date (not reservation date) Wayback Machine
I don’t remember seeing anything mentioned about ‘subscription required’. Nowadays time limits are shown/included.

If Tesla don’t play ball straight off they won’t try to defend a claim for misrepresentation / beach of contract for too long before giving in.
Thanks for this

So it seems May 27th 2019 was the date the 1 year sub subscription appeared for the first time. No mention before this just says "Included" with Premium

Interesting to see that the garage door opener was still there for Premium interior (LR & P) then disappeared on the 31st May 2019.

Am i right in saying that if you paid the £2k order payment - Deposit? (and not the £1k Reservation) that is in effect you agreeing to an order with that spec?

Mine below

Tesla Order.JPG

• Informative
Reactions: MrBadger
Spotify (Tesla account) seems to be part of the sub. I don't login and use the free Tesla account. Unless having your own account does more?

A Spotify account does much more that the Tesla free account. Import your own playlists, far larger selection of songs, Higher bitrate than the free app in the home, (not sure if higher in the car.)

After checking it out I never bothered with the Tesla version, I had a large selection on a USB drive. Since upgrading to a Spotify account I've removed the USB. At first there was no difference to the Tesla home page, but a two finger re-boot fixed it and my playlists appeared. Happy with it so far, but even my cloth ears can tell the difference between Spotify and the Flac files I had on the USB.

• Informative
Reactions: Durzel and davidmc
So my premium connectivity subscription expired today after one year.
Like others in this thread, I ordered May 1st 2019, when premium connectivity was not a subscription service. Has anyone successfully appealed to Tesla to waive the annual subscription fee?

What about the tax position of company car owners? If the company pays the subscription fee then does the driver incur a tax liability?

As an early Model 3 Performance purchaser I am convinced that they have breached the Consumers Rights Act 2015 with regard to Premium Connectivity. My spec clearly shows that it was included with no mention of a fee. I have queried it (not quoting the Act) but got rejected. I was given a contact f I wished to take it further. Haven’t decided yet. Was hoping that “others” were acting on my behalf somewhere and , just like Australia, they acknowledged their error.

As an early Model 3 Performance purchaser I am convinced that they have breached the Consumers Rights Act 2015 with regard to Premium Connectivity. My spec clearly shows that it was included with no mention of a fee. I have queried it (not quoting the Act) but got rejected. I was given a contact f I wished to take it further. Haven’t decided yet. Was hoping that “others” were acting on my behalf somewhere and , just like Australia, they acknowledged their error.
Are you able to supply the contact details at Tesla? The more people who challenge this the better chance will will have. Tesla must be aware due to them losing the case in Australia but unless owners challenge we won’t have a chance.

Last edited:
The warranty manual states how you should formally complain to Tesla on warranty matters and its probably worth doing this in parallel

https://www.tesla.com/sites/default/files/downloads/tesla-new-vehicle-limited-warranty-en-us.pdf

I've found this extract on a web page which might need changing a little (this was a guide to a formal complaint about the MCU) but I'd serve a formal complaint on this the same way, and by registered post as they simply don't bother responding to emails

Vehicles registered in Europe:

Tesla Motors Netherlands B.V.
Atlasstraat 7-9, 5047 RG
Tilburg, Netherlands
Attention: Vehicle Service

Include the following information:
  • Your name and contact information;
  • VIN;
  • Name and location of the Tesla Store and/or Tesla Service Center nearest you;
  • Vehicle delivery date;
  • Current mileage;
  • Description of the defect; and
  • History of the attempts you have made with a Tesla Store or a Tesla representative to resolve the concern, or of any repairs or services that were not performed by a Tesla Service Center or Tesla authorized repair facility.
I know the premium connectivity and warranty are slightly different, but if you do feel minded to go to the small claims court and you can show you've exhausted every avenue then it only helps your case. Worth a less than a quid on a stamp.

• Informative
Reactions: CMc1 and MrBadger
A Spotify account does much more that the Tesla free account. Import your own playlists, far larger selection of songs, Higher bitrate than the free app in the home, (not sure if higher in the car.)

After checking it out I never bothered with the Tesla version, I had a large selection on a USB drive. Since upgrading to a Spotify account I've removed the USB. At first there was no difference to the Tesla home page, but a two finger re-boot fixed it and my playlists appeared. Happy with it so far, but even my cloth ears can tell the difference between Spotify and the Flac files I had on the USB.
I can hear the difference between the FLACs on my USB SSD and Spotify too, but generally speaking the music I tend to listen to has been mastered to be on the loud side anyway. USB is invaluable for me as my LTE service locally (both Tesla and on my phone) is patchy.

Reactions: mick4545
So my premium connectivity subscription expired today after one year.
Like others in this thread, I ordered May 1st 2019, when premium connectivity was not a subscription service. Has anyone successfully appealed to Tesla to waive the annual subscription fee?

What about the tax position of company car owners? If the company pays the subscription fee then does the driver incur a tax liability?
In the Netherlands I wrote a letter of default. That got me into contact with their attorney. He launched a load of crap on my with website screenshots etc etc. Even third party mentions of the expected 'temporariness'.
Anyway, they have no case. There is nothing temporary in the contract. You can't take a random part away without consequences.
In this case, the attorney ended up by discontinuing the entire contract. Which is possible under Dutch law if it is reasonable. He claimed it was because of the +1 month notice.
I compared it to removing the back seat or make it a subscription, as that is also not listed explicitly in the contract. It made clear they have no case but hope that individuals will not spend the money on a court case as it will be more than the subscription.
I contacted lease companies to join forces, but they are reluctant to sue their big supplier.
I am still considering legal action through the car insurance as by ending the entire contract, that implies warranty too.
Nice car, criminal company.

Reactions: GeorgeSymonds
Btw: it is not just a data service that is now paid, it is a essential part of the nav system (a feature) that they take away (traffic's info and sattelite maps).
You don't get those back with a hotspot.
So it could be classified as market abuse too because there is no alternative for something that had no price on it when you bought it.

• Informative
Reactions: boywonder
I’m going to go against the grain and say that I don’t think it’s a big deal.

To be clear, if Tesla advertised it as a lifetime feature, or neglected to state that it was 1 year only, then they’re in the wrong - clearly.

That being said, whilst small claims is the least onerous form of legal action, it’s not without its costs both financial (you have to pay a fee to bring a claim, which can be added to the claim amount but nevertheless it’s an upfront cost) and mental - you have to file a claim, witness statements, be prepared to attend mediation, potentially even attend court, etc. All that to save £10 a month.

Again, on principal I agree with the position people are taking with this, but at the same time I think legal action is disproportionate to the cost.

And I don’t believe it’s the thin end of the wedge, or whatever. Issues of significance can be dealt with as and when they occur. Just because you don’t kick off about paying £10 a month for Premium Connectivity doesn’t mean you can’t take action over something more significant.

The business case of legal action isn't that positive indeed. And for the potential gain it feels stupid. It also feels bad to sue your car company. But, it is a legal mistake they could have fixed in a better way. I even suggested to split the feature from the connectivity or come with a reasonable solution. They went in hard with BS arguments. Now I feel motivated to return the favor and pave the way for everybody.