Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Free premium Connectivity ending

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hmmmm. This is very strange. When I ordered late last year there was no mention of only 1 year data included with the purchase. It’s certainly not in the terms and conditions.

Other manufacturers usually provide 3 years, and it’s clearly stated.

I know it’s ‘only’ £10 a month but I might get in touch with Tesla to show me where this is stated at the point of order.

I ordered in August last year and definitely remember it being mentioned when I was looking at the options while considering ordering. I can't remember the exact wording, but it did make me aware that it was a "trial" and I seem to remember being aware that it was 1 year, as I asked the person from Tesla who accompanied me on my test drive for more information on what the billing amount/frequency would be after this period (he didn't know.)

Reactions: Roy W.
Has anyone solved the P to D issue? I've done two drives without Premium and it's annoying having to manually turn on WiFi each time.

I’m surprised that more people don’t complain about the disconnecting WiFi rather than the price of the service.

Please please please Tesla, add option to leave Wifi enabled after Park to Drive shift.

Oh! I've got a few months left yet, but that along with sorting the P to D issue might have swung it to tethering -

P to D issue has been highlighted by @verygreen. Seems like Tesla sometimes listen to him, so see what comes of it.
Bit of a insight to how it previously worked:

Thread by @greentheonly: As more and more people have their premium connectivity trial expiring, I keep getting this question about how to make hotspots more tolerab…

3073A9A5-65F0-4293-A527-464D458A65C4.jpeg

The real time traffic info displayed to the screen is amazing. It has to be interpreted sometimes, so yellow can just mean traffic slowing for roadworks, not necessarily a jam. And it is often 15-20 minutes out of date, but that’s understandable and still very useful. The deep crimson is real deep trouble, on the couple of occasions I was foolish enough to ignore it, I paid the penalty in sitting more or less motionless for ages. So I treat that with respect and always avoid.

I think you must have a different version of traffic to me. 90% of the time, the map is full of yellow lines without a car in sight. Only real use I found when stuck in a jam and getting an idea of who long I'm p to queueing for and its convenience only as I can get that info easily from other sources.

So my premium connectivity is due to end mid September and I am in two minds as to whether it's worth paying £10 a month for.
  • Spotify - I use it occasionally and it's quite handy being able to save favourites albums / playlists etc but I do get frustrated as the signal drops frequently so the music stops. I then default to radio. I'm also an Apple Music subscriber like many and would much prefer to have this available - how are other Apple Music users managing this? I know that my mobile signal is better than the Tesla data in terms of reliability in my corner of South Wales so maybe I should just bluetooth from that?
  • TuneIn - I have a TuneIn account but my favourites don't show up in the Tesla. In particular, as an exiled Scot I like to listen to Radio Clyde for football but it just gets an error message every time. Grrr.
  • Navigation - I do like the satellite mapping, adds a layer of reality to the nav and helps in terms of location awareness. The live traffic information I rarely use or pay attention to.
  • Netflix - rarely used, when on a road trip I prefer to stretch my legs when charging than stay in the car.
I'm thinking that £10 a month is a bit much for satellite imagery which is probably the main benefit to me from premium. And anyway, wouldn't I get that if I created a hotspot on my mobile anyway? Am I missing anything?

And anyway, wouldn't I get that if I created a hotspot on my mobile anyway? Am I missing anything?

Below? wifi hotspot is not sticky when starting a drive.

Please please please Tesla, add option to leave Wifi enabled after Park to Drive shift.
Then i can use lovely 5G via Vodafone in London.

You can re enable it after shifting into drive

Absolutely, but that's going to get boring very quickly doing it every time I get back into the car. More helpful would be leaving it enabled when you change from Park to Drive.

I’m in the same boat, mine runs out on 23 August. I don’t think I’m going to pay the £10 a month, because all I really use is the satellite map view. From what I’ve read it’s not possible to get that by any other means, tethering your phone or whatever.

I don’t have a Netflix subscription, so can’t get that, and only use Spotify very occasionally. I find the Spotify interface poor compared to Apple Music or even Amazon.

You still get the live traffic data included in routing, it’s just not visible on the screen.

So for me, it’s basically £10 a month for the pretty satellite map! :eek:

Reactions: CMc1 and Rustybkts
Anyone not re-subscribed and missing the experience?

For me, only thing I will miss is visible live traffic data once in a blue moon, the rest of the time its normally not very accurate.

I'm also hoping that when you you do a search for music, its no longer going to look on Spotify and goto USB instead.

Last edited:
Anyone not re-subscribed and missing the experience?
I like using spotify via the car, I have plenty of data on my phone, so hotspot is not an issue, my biggest issue everytime I go into drive then the wifi turns off, quite often I do short journeys so it is even more of a pain, and if you have to reverse then you either wait until you have reversed and then turn wifi back on, or close the camera, turn wifi on, open the camera, reverse then turn the camera off again. It is such a pain and that reason alone is making me think about subscribing, I just wish tesla would let you toggle an option to let you keep the wifi on.

Well I'm about to do a road trip up to Scotland so maybe I'll do some A/B testing to help me decide. One week with satellite mapping off and one week on. One week using Spotify on the screen and one using Apple Music via bluetooth with Siri voice commands. See how I get on.

Am I right in assuming that if parked up and charging I could hotspot to wifi on my phone to watch Netflix?

Back when the model 3 was released if you didn't have premium connectivity you didn't even get the web browser.. so they've changed it a lot in ways that devalues the subscription already if that was something they cared too much about.

Personally I've fought with mobile phones and mounts and dodgy bluetooth in other cars and am quite willing to pay £10/mo. Half that is probably the difference in data cost already.

I ordered my car in September 2019. I’m sure the fact that Premium Connectivity was a trial was never mentioned when I signed up, and I can’t find anything in the very limited ‘paperwork’ received from Tesla. Can anyone advise where I should look to find order related info about the expiry of my ‘subscription’? I think the date only appeared on the screen after a software update a month or so ago.

I spotted the 12 month complimentary subscription a week or so after signing up, so early May 19. Whether it was on paperwork available before signing up I do not know, but as it took me a while to spot, I would say it was pretty well entrenched in the depths of the paperwork no matter where it was. Unlike the configuration page where no mention of it, not even a '*'.

May 2019 order spec below.

Worth noting that I had the garage door opener (Homelink) retrospectively fitted for no cost and no argument, along with front boot mat. Both these items were not part of spec by time I took delivery so were not supplied as standard.

upload_2020-8-3_14-2-0.png

Last edited:
The version of events I heard was Tesla forced it to drop the hot spot as thats intended for connection at home. Dropping wifi takes time for as you drive away from home leaving none of the functions requiring it working until the conenction faield. A solution was to drop it when you entered Drive - it also conveniently paved the way for paying for connevity making hot spots a PIA. Eitehr way, both seem more logical compared to a new developer rewriting the code completely and getting it wrong. And if either are the case, its by design and Tesla aren't going to change it back in a hurry, they will be making money on those £10 monthly subscriptions.

As for the premium connectivity being included or not, the Aussies won a case against Tesla for some owners and the UK owners club are trying to do the same. Their success rate to date on such matters has sadly been zero so don't hold your breath if you're in the 1 or 2 month window in the UK where you were told something different to whats happening now (ie as per .VA picture saying it was included)

I ordered my car in September 2019. I’m sure the fact that Premium Connectivity was a trial was never mentioned when I signed up, and I can’t find anything in the very limited ‘paperwork’ received from Tesla. Can anyone advise where I should look to find order related info about the expiry of my ‘subscription’? I think the date only appeared on the screen after a software update a month or so ago.

These days the expiry date is in the car. You can also subscribe early and they'll tell you they won't start taking money until it expires.

It was on the order page by the end may/beginning of july (on wayback machine) so the question of whether people really only affects those who ordered in early may and even it wasn't really a secret (I knew - it was one of the things that I considered when I switched SR+ to LR a few weeks later). Maybe it could have been clearer but I doubt it meets any legal definition of miss-selling so those trying to sue tesla are going to blow a lot more than £120 on it on legal fees and probably still have to pay.

Reactions: Roy W.