Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Free premium Connectivity ending

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had my M3 SR+ End of September and only had Premium Connectivity when v10 was released, then it was taken from me in June (I think), so only had it for a few months, certainly not 12 months! Have I been short changed?

I ordered early May last year and have all the paperwork from the web and from the order. Nowhere on there can I find any mention of the subscription being only for one year, indeed it doesn't mention any time limit and as Vanilla highlights (above), it lists on the features outline for the Performance with no mention or asterisk for time limit.
I DO remember however reading it somewhere AFTER I had ordered and paid my deposit and therefore it would seem that my contract with them does not allow them to charge me for it.
I have written to them and await their reply.............. not holding out much hope but one has to try. It's not fair to change the agreement AFTER one has committed to it.

Reactions: navt
They also changed the price and spec several times in that period.. changed the free paint colours, changed the price of FSD. (indeed I lost the 'introductory' FSD offer because they dropped the price and to accept the price drop it formed a new sale and increased the FSD price). SR+ owners lost the front fogs as some point as well. Then there was the garage door opener thing that was removed from the spec.

Just the way tesla do it.. nothing is agreed until you sign at collection.

They also changed the price and spec several times in that period.. changed the free paint colours, changed the price of FSD. (indeed I lost the 'introductory' FSD offer because they dropped the price and to accept the price drop it formed a new sale and increased the FSD price). SR+ owners lost the front fogs as some point as well. Then there was the garage door opener thing that was removed from the spec.

Just the way tesla do it.. nothing is agreed until you sign at collection.

Indeed. I benefited from this as I originally wanted to order a LR, it disappeared just before I placed the order, so I ordered a P-. Then as part of several changes the LR reappeared later at a better price. I was able to switch back to it and “save” thousands vs the P- price. Pretty flexible really. I can’t recall if premium connectivity was for life or for 12 months when I eventually collected my M3 in Sept 2019.

It was on the order page by the end may/beginning of july (on wayback machine) so the question of whether people really only affects those who ordered in early may and even it wasn't really a secret

Tesla shouldn't underestimate the significance of the early May orders - it was start of UK Model 3 orders so likely to be long term reservation holders who would have held a reservation during the period when it was free connectivity for life.

Basically they are saying that they don't view your reservation as part of the order process and they do not honour the headline spec at point of ordering. I think if challenged, some UK consumer law people may disagree with Tesla's interpretation although I suspect that Teslas lawers will have made sure they sit just inside the law.

Indeed. I benefited from this as I originally wanted to order a LR, it disappeared just before I placed the order, so I ordered a P-. Then as part of several changes the LR reappeared later at a better price. I was able to switch back to it and “save” thousands vs the P- price. Pretty flexible really. I can’t recall if premium connectivity was for life or for 12 months when I eventually collected my M3 in Sept 2019.

I was the same, P- originally and switched to LR when the price changed. I must admit to being surprised to learn about premium connectivity only being 12 months - In fact I haven't been told that from Tesla - Can I assume I've got it without a subscription being required?

Don’t Tesla get round this by your deposit actually being a payment towards a reservation, not an actual vehicle order.

I wonder if in Tesla’s strange little world they don’t think you have a real order until you get a VIN matched. So really the same as when you have a build number when you order from anyone else on the planet.

They get around it by basically restarting the order on price changes.. there was always the option to pay the higher price and keep the original spec but unsurprisingly nobody took it.

But yes you pay for a reservation and don't actually pay the deposit until a few days before the car is delivered.

Tesla have reservations and orders.

Reservations are pointless as they’re not a commitment to buy, or more specifically they’re not a commitment on Tesla to sell you anything. The cybertruck reservations aren’t worth much if it never makes it to the uk. Tesla will just say tough.

An order is so what different. Once Tesla accept the contract they should fulfill it. There would be legal opportunity for the buyer to claim in the event that Tesla failed to fulfill their obligation. The contract will probably say the specification can change in the small print but switching to a subscription which effectively increases the price after the event. That’s where the problem occurs. The Aussies won their challenge so there’s precedent.