Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Free Supercharging!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Now imagine if you live within 5 mins of a supercharger. This unlimited charging would be worth a few grand. Just charge it every few days for commute and get like 15k miles in a year easily.

Probably a few hundred dollars for most drivers (depending on what you pay per kWh). At 300 wh/mile, you would need need 4500 kWh to drive 15,000 miles a year. So, even at $0.10 a kWh (here in AZ and elsewhere you can charge for a lot less than that at night) you would only be saving $450 for the year. Obviously, some might pay a bit more than that, but it would take a crazy per-kWh charge to make it worth thousands of dollars.

Reactions: N1L CO2
Probably a few hundred dollars for most drivers (depending on what you pay per kWh). At 300 wh/mile, you would need need 4500 kWh to drive 15,000 miles a year. So, even at $0.10 a kWh (here in AZ and elsewhere you can charge for a lot less than that at night) you would only be saving $450 for the year. Obviously, some might pay a bit more than that, but it would take a crazy per-kWh charge to make it worth thousands of dollars.
Bay Area Electricity is Dolla Dolla Bills

Reactions: AmbienWalrus
I got my delivery 12/12 and didn't get free supercharging. I did get a free year of premium connectivity (Seems like I recall that being only a month when I last looked at what to expect) and a free die cast model 3 though.

At first glance free supercharging sounds great but it really isn't that big of deal. Once you start to use apps like plugshare you find out charging is easy and free at tons of locations.

I almost always charge at home it easier and my time is worth more then sitting at a supercharger a few miles away. So what that means is 95% of my charging is done at home.

Basically anything I do within 100 miles of house means I don't use a supercharger. Even when I am traveling maybe I will do 1 supercharger before I get my destination. Heck I even travelled around florida and the cost was 0 because I used destination chargers.

I also found when I travel many times I will use a destination charger for free. This means no need for a supercharger at those locations.

Then when I do use a supercharger the cost is really not that much. I drove around 1200 miles and it was only around $60 total and that included me driving around for a week.

In the last 6 months I might have spent $100 supercharging. In fact is so infrequent I don't even think about it anymore.

If you have home solar, no commute due to Covid, etc.. free SC might have no value to you (I fall in both categories).

$1K performance Boost or 1/2 price on FSD is something that might persuade me to open the wallet and send some love Tesla's way.

C'mon Elon... Rob needs a nice Xmas present from Tesla..... ;)

Last edited:
I got my delivery 12/12 and didn't get free supercharging. I did get a free year of premium connectivity (Seems like I recall that being only a month when I last looked at what to expect) and a free die cast model 3 though.
The free year of connectivity is 'standard' on the MY. It comes with the Premium interior. On the M3, you only get a month only with the partial Premium interior (which I think is only available with the M3 SR).

The free year of connectivity is 'standard' on the MY. It comes with the Premium interior. On the M3, you only get a month only with the partial Premium interior (which I think is only available with the M3 SR).
Thanks that makes sense. I emailed my TA to check on the free supercharging since I took delivery 12/12. Got a not very helpful answer that if my account qualifies it will be added.

Might try calling instead. Not going to be upset if i don't get it. But it never hurts to push for a clear yes or no answer

Reactions: CleverUsername
Missed out on the new scroll, usb glovebox and auto dim side mirrors by a week, and now missed out on supercharging for a year. Wouldn't be that big of deal normally but going on a roadtrip that will use an estimated 3kmiles round trip so my free 1k miles will go by quick.

Reactions: CleverUsername
This morning my SA said that you only get the year if you didn't have a VIN assigned before the 12th but I just heard back that there has been an "update" and anyone taking delivery from 12/12 to 12/31 is eligible. He also said it will activate the 2nd week of January and the year will start on the day of activation. And i got this in writing because i am (finally) learning :)