Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Free Unlimited Supercharging back on New Custom Orders?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Appreciate your sarcasm. If it isn’t going to cost me to return the car and order another to gain supercharging I’m sure you would do the same.
I would probably talk to Tesla, point out how silly it would be to go through the process of returning and reordering, and they would agree and just turn on free supercharging. But if there's a new price sheet I would have to put up with any changes.

But I wouldn't be angry. That's the aspect of your post I was responding to.

Free anything is great but perhaps this isn't the fantastic deal it may at first appear to be. If you drive the average 12000 miles a year at the average 333 wH/mi and pay the average $0.11/kWh for electricity at home then you would spend $439 per year on electricity (for the car). If you did all your charging at SC's instead of at home you would save that much. But I found, and no surprise here, that only 9% of my charging is done at superchargers. Thus my savings would be $39/year. That's enough for a decent lunch but nothing to get excited about. Of course if you live in one of those places where electricity is $0.35 kW/h and/or your planned use involves more road trips than running around town/commuting you will get different numbers the point being that maybe you ought to run some numbers.

I placed an order a few days ago but do not have a VIN yet. I emailed my rep TO MAKE SURE that free supercharging will be included in my custom order. I am going to ask that my PO includes that line item.

Attachments

• 28E2440E-0FB4-4F97-87A6-D13192FC2298.jpeg
    28E2440E-0FB4-4F97-87A6-D13192FC2298.jpeg
    822.2 KB · Views: 58
I’m supposed to pick mine up next weekend. I called Tesla today and asked if I needed to cancel and reorder to get the free supercharging and they said no, that it can be added to any undelivered orders. I will make sure it shows on my delivery paperwork

Reactions: GraemeS
I'm waiting on delivery on a custom X at the moment. My OA called me this morning to inform me that there was an identical build already on the ground that came with free supercharging. Once I asked him about it, he explained that this morning they brought back the unlimited free supercharging. Allegedly, they said they can still add the unlimited supercharging to my custom order since I'm still waiting for delivery. Really crossing my fingers that it's true.

Free anything is great but perhaps this isn't the fantastic deal it may at first appear to be. If you drive the average 12000 miles a year at the average 333 wH/mi and pay the average $0.11/kWh for electricity at home then you would spend $439 per year on electricity (for the car). If you did all your charging at SC's instead of at home you would save that much. But I found, and no surprise here, that only 9% of my charging is done at superchargers. Thus my savings would be $39/year. That's enough for a decent lunch but nothing to get excited about. Of course if you live in one of those places where electricity is $0.35 kW/h and/or your planned use involves more road trips than running around town/commuting you will get different numbers the point being that maybe you ought to run some numbers.

I pay $0.31/kwh here.

Thank you for adding logic to the discussion. Running the numbers really helped shed light on what could have made some make an emotional decision. ;)

On the flip side of the argument. Imagine living right down the street from a L2 L3 supercharger and not paying one dime to charge your EV.....as long as you own it. No need to install anything at your house, saving hundreds in installation costs, possibly a lot more if you were thinking about installing the Tesla wall charger. No need to worry about off peak charging.

Sounds like a pretty good deal to me!

On the flip side of the argument. Imagine living right down the street from a L2 L3 supercharger ...
The object was not to promote argument but rather thought and to encourage people to do a bit of number crunching or at least think a bit about how they are going to charge the car in order to determine whether free supercharging is really worth anything to them. To someone who lives next to a SC where the utility charges $0.45 kWh it clearly is. If that same person has solar panels it isn't so much.

Now all this is moot because I don't suppose you can go in and say "Hey, I'll give up the free supercharging if you'll knock $2000 off the bottom line." Remember what the wise man said, "There is no such thing as a free lunch."

Reactions: EA500
Hmm, so those of us that took delivery 3 weeks ago are hosed I take it? Anyone ever successfully get FUSC added after the fact? Should I even try?
Back in 2017 when they first offered the non-performance 100 kWh battery, there was no Supercharging included. A few months later, they added it retroactively to all of the cars that had already been ordered/delivered earlier in the year.

Reactions: Spelly88