Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Freeze my UI and OTAs please.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

OxBrew

Sep 23, 2021
Spokane WA
I want off the update train. Freeze my UI so it never changes again, like any other car out there.

I'm busy, I don't have time to keep up with the changes, figure out where everything is, constantly re-learn how to pop open the music shortcut, where the favorites are, how to switch between phones.

The UI is not perfect, I'd have done a lot differently, but it's passable, and I just want out. It's my car, stop effing with it.

I know how to avoid updates, I just don't want to have to know or pay attention.

Give me a freeze my UI options, and only ever push security patches or federally mandated safety recalls, with no UI changes. Please.

image_5bb0b48a-151f-41d5-8654-8ea8f254b842.2b1fb28d66da31879b56b6372398fca8.jpeg

Reactions: WyoDude
I want off the update train. Freeze my UI so it never changes again, like any other car out there.

I'm busy, I don't have time to keep up with the changes, figure out where everything is, constantly re-learn how to pop open the music shortcut, where the favorites are, how to switch between phones.

The UI is not perfect, I'd have done a lot differently, but it's passable, and I just want out. It's my car, stop effing with it.

I know how to avoid updates, I just don't want to have to know or pay attention.

Give me a freeze my UI options, and only ever push security patches or federally mandated safety recalls, with no UI changes. Please.
That is a reasonable request, to have a "no updates now option" except for safety, security and Gov't mandated ones. Updates can be monitored and installed when the user sees a valuable feature and/or just feels like updating.

To be silly but not take away from the OP'S point, I don't think anyone is still using Microdoft Bob.
1000032099.jpg

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: OxBrew and Falcon73
I think Tesla is the only one doing OTA updates. You'd have to take a competitor car to the shop to get an update. This may be your only solution now.
Most car companies are doing OTA updates these days. But yeah, the forced updates are both a blessing and a curse. I have the opposite position, I install Tesla updates usually the second they come out. Cause it's usually an improvement (well since 2019 at least). My MCU still freezes at least weekly (mostly with regards to Spotify) but the overall experience is way better now than it was even a year or two ago. Button placement hasn't really changed in the last two years either.

That all being said, the Tesla UI design is still way worse than what Apple and Android have released for nearly a decade now. I really don't understand why it's so hard to get a smooth intuitive UI in a giant 2 ton car, when the cheapest iPad from 5 years ago has a way experience than any car on the road today (probably cause Tesla's daddy doesn't like Tim Apple and won't include CarPlay).

I too am bailing on Tesla once a competitor really gets on the SC network, is fun to drive and has CarPlay.

(Also, Tesla navigation is still hot garbage with the map data rarely being updated. I feel like this is something people don't mention, when I had the FSD trial this was one of the reasons why I really didn't use it... it tried to take the long way almost every time. It's 2024 and I still have my phone up next to my giant display with Waze most of the time.)

Most car companies are doing OTA updates these days. But yeah, the forced updates are both a blessing and a curse. I have the opposite position, I install Tesla updates usually the second they come out. Cause it's usually an improvement (well since 2019 at least). My MCU still freezes at least weekly (mostly with regards to Spotify) but the overall experience is way better now than it was even a year or two ago. Button placement hasn't really changed in the last two years either.

That all being said, the Tesla UI design is still way worse than what Apple and Android have released for nearly a decade now. I really don't understand why it's so hard to get a smooth intuitive UI in a giant 2 ton car, when the cheapest iPad from 5 years ago has a way experience than any car on the road today (probably cause Tesla's daddy doesn't like Tim Apple and won't include CarPlay).

I too am bailing on Tesla once a competitor really gets on the SC network, is fun to drive and has CarPlay.

(Also, Tesla navigation is still hot garbage with the map data rarely being updated. I feel like this is something people don't mention, when I had the FSD trial this was one of the reasons why I really didn't use it... it tried to take the long way almost every time. It's 2024 and I still have my phone up next to my giant display with Waze most of the time.)
You think Tesla has a bad navigation system? Try Rivian’s. It literally tries to route me to other states half the time!

• Funny
Reactions: Mercimek
You think Tesla has a bad navigation system? Try Rivian’s. It literally tries to route me to other states half the time!
I heard that. Unfortunate. The UI is a big factor in why I didn't go Rivian either. Tesla still has the best, but that really isn't saying much. Especially when compared to an iPad or Samsung tablet. All car UIs are salty garbage.

In my book, including Android Auto and CarPlay (I know that there is some controversy about the forthcoming versions of both of these systems) would go a long way in my book. Then I could at least choose what navigation to use (also would let me stop using the truly awful version of the Spotify app included with Tesla). But that's not going to happen because car companies, esp Tesla and Rivian, want as much control over the software as possible. This is despite everyone, including them, knowing they are no match for Google, Samsung or Apple's software.

Reactions: OxBrew
Hey OP, just so you know, this is an enthusiasts forum. There are no connections or ties to Tesla the company at all.

I do hear you on some of the changes. I am the opposite and update as soon as I can because of the nerd that I am. I also dislike some of the changes they make.

Hey OP, just so you know, this is an enthusiasts forum. There are no connections or ties to Tesla the company at all.

I do hear you on some of the changes. I am the opposite and update as soon as I can because of the nerd that I am. I also dislike some of the changes they make.
I know. It's an owner's forum, we all bring our own perspective.

Just venting into the void.

Not going to be an owner too much longer actually.

After the last update I got the dreaded all your settings are back to default (sort of).

I've been here for almost 3 years, I've seen enough to understamd this place.

I've also been on owner's forums for several makes, VW TDI, Toyota Landcruiser, Subaru Outback, BMW 2002, Toyota Supra (3rd gen) and this forum is by far the most toxic of all of them.

All the others are just owners helping owners figure out how to keep their ars going, upgrade, whatever. This place is 60% full of the most insufferable ----s you could ever find. I have no idea why people get so defensive about these cars.

But whatever. I'm a short timer. Still love driving the car, except when I get in and half my wife's settings persist when it switches to my profile.