Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

From Y to Audi e-tron: a Comparison

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
they refuse to support Telsa when Elon is still CEO
I was squarely in that camp until three things happened:
- I read through IIHS.org’s crash test reports for all the cars I was considering
- most US manufacturers announced they’d adopt NACS (at which point buying any EV is conceding that you’ll be going to one of his charging stations)
- the drastic price drops on the 2023s once the calendar turned to 2024

I think the Y is the ideal car for them but they refuse to support Telsa when Elon is still CEO.

LOL, I have a childhood memory of my great-grandpa and grandpa both tearing into my dad for buying my mom a Volkswagon Jetta. (Hitler car they called it, ya know cause he founded the company.... way back then)

So be careful with these Audi's guys, they are a Volkswagon group car and know what that means... 😬

I think about that incident occasionally and try to never virtue signal with my purchases because of it. Crazy how little things like that shape your viewpoints later in life.

VW was started as a state-owned company in the 1930s, so while Hitler wasn’t literally the owner he was the head of state so nominally he was in charge of everything.

However the VW we know today was cobbled together from the wreckage of post-WWII German industry by the occupying British powers who happened to take custody of Wolfsburg, where the largely intact factory was located. So if you want to write off VW and its subsidiaries based on pre-WWII activities that’s a pretty broad brush.

After many decades of owning VW ICE cars I chose a Tesla over an Audi or VW EV based on much more recent factors, namely charging networks, battery tech, and in-car software. But that’s just me—you do you!

Reactions: KevinT3141
VW was started as a state-owned company in the 1930s, so while Hitler wasn’t literally the owner he was the head of state so nominally he was in charge of everything.

However the VW we know today was cobbled together from the wreckage of post-WWII German industry by the occupying British powers who happened to take custody of Wolfsburg, where the largely intact factory was located. So if you want to write off VW and its subsidiaries based on pre-WWII activities that’s a pretty broad brush.

After many decades of owning VW ICE cars I chose a Tesla over an Audi or VW EV based on much more recent factors, namely charging networks, battery tech, and in-car software. But that’s just me—you do you!
That was exactly my point, choose a purchase over actual material things, not virtue signaling. I have owned a Audi A4, a decent enough car, HID's liked to wink a lot though :p

Reactions: KevinT3141
LOL, I have a childhood memory of my great-grandpa and grandpa both tearing into my dad for buying my mom a Volkswagon Jetta. (Hitler car they called it, ya know cause he founded the company.... way back then)

So be careful with these Audi's guys, they are a Volkswagon group car and know what that means... 😬

I think about that incident occasionally and try to never virtue signal with my purchases because of it. Crazy how little things like that shape your viewpoints later in life.

You know how parents are, can't reason with em 😂 but, regardless what they choose I say more power to them. They are putting their money where their mouth is, where most people are just complaining.

Reactions: Jacob Vega
I was squarely in that camp until three things happened:
- I read through IIHS.org’s crash test reports for all the cars I was considering
- most US manufacturers announced they’d adopt NACS (at which point buying any EV is conceding that you’ll be going to one of his charging stations)
- the drastic price drops on the 2023s once the calendar turned to 2024

Points 1 and 3 I've tried to communicate, but they don't seem to care. Hell, both the Q4 and Ioniq5 cost more than a Y! 2 appears to be the lesser of two evils (and only for road trips), at least that's how they've rationalized it.

Reactions: mborkow
Points 1 and 3 I've tried to communicate, but they don't seem to care. Hell, both the Q4 and Ioniq5 cost more than a Y! 2 appears to be the lesser of two evils (and only for road trips), at least that's how they've rationalized it.
We've been lucky to have new Audi's last 4 times - A3, A3, A4 Avant, Q3. Brilliant cars, solid build, etc. Having made the commitment about this time last year that we were going to go EV (company salary sacrifice scheme) it was a no-brainer we would look at the Q4. Other than the frankly 'awful' Audi MMI, what's not to like?

Then I discovered that Audi were quoting an 18-24 month wait. About the same time, Elon knocked a few £k off the MY which overnight changed it from being more expensive than the Audi, to being a good bit cheaper. 'Maybe we should go look at a Tesla'. So we did an overnight test of an MYP and immediately loved the car. I don't know what I expected but the transition to electric was seamless and even one pedal driving felt very natural. We were quoted around 2-3 months from order to delivery so that was decision made. Tesla MYP it was.

We've had the car about 5 months now and still love it. It really is a great car to drive and to be in. Crazy amounts of storage space (frunk, under trunk, trunk, under seats, etc) and more legroom than any car I've owned. What I didn't realise at the time though, and this really should have been the deal-maker, is the Supercharge network. We've done 4 long trips in the period and the SC network is an absolute dream. It takes so much of the effort and concern out of making long journeys. I really didn't appreciate before owning an EV just how big a deal this would be.

What don't I like about my MYP?: the very gorgeous but super vulnerable Uberturbine/PZero combo. Who on earth though that was a good idea? And Tesla Vision - to be fair, the last OTA improved park assist significantly but it stills pales in comparison to my Q3 Vorsprung (I never did spot that drone that used to hover over my car giving that incredible arial view!). On the plus side and as I've stated previously, the Audi MMI is just awful and the Tesla version is soooo much better. Even after 4 cars spanning 13 years we still never really understood the MMI.

With just a few minor tweaks, Tesla could make the MY an unbeatable package. It's so close to that already.

And btw, it's fast. I mean, who needs a family SUV that goes that quick? Oh yeah, I do :)

It does have a drive mode close to one-pedal driving but this doesn't bring the car do a complete halt - it creeps - so if choosing this I still have to use the brake at a stop sign!
This would be a huge deal for me. After 2 great one-pedal driving cars (Leaf, now MY), I'm pretty sold on it. I will say that the charging changes will make a huge difference when it comes to shopping for my next EV (my current car is a 2021 MY).

Reactions: john8899
My sister owns a Q4, nice car to say the least. No one pedal driving not to mention one of the worst rated cars for range reduction in cold weather and tech that is light years behind Tesla keeps me away. My sister previously had a Q5, I was surprised to see the Q4 EV was slower then the ICE Q5. Bottom line, un upscale ID4.

Not saying it is a bad car, on the contrary, fit and finish is much better than a Tesla however that is not what counts in my book.

My sister owns a Q4, nice car to say the least. No one pedal driving not to mention one of the worst rated cars for range reduction in cold weather and tech that is light years behind Tesla keeps me away. My sister previously had a Q5, I was surprised to see the Q4 EV was slower then the ICE Q5. Bottom line, un upscale ID4.

Not saying it is a bad car, on the contrary, fit and finish is much better than a Tesla however that is not what counts in my book.
I had an SQ5 before the MY, it was good car and served it's purpose. But the service bill alone help push me away.

Reactions: RSpanner