Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Front collision warning fluke/ghost

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Weird thing has happened to me -- 3 times, maybe four. I am driving along, all of a sudden I get a rapid beep of the front collision warning, there is a red image of a car in front of mine on the dashboard, right in front and flickering red for a second or two... but there is no car in front of me. Then the whole thing disappears and back to normal. A ghost in the machine if you will :)

Has not been a safety issue, and since this only happened a few times, not a huge deal. Just wondering if others have experienced this as well. Thanks.

Reactions: jerjozwik
I got the red car warning once when driving all alone a couple of weeks ago and added it to the list of things to address at the SC. Tesla acknowledged the problem and referred to it as a 'ghost' but needs for more data to find a resolution. They urged me to use the bug reporting feature each and every time it happens. It hasn't recurred.

Therefore, it appears that the "ghost" is a real thing.

I had that happen to me right after this last software update, but there was a car making a right turn ahead, but far in front of me. I moved a little over to the left to easily go around it and got the warning you mention. I've made similar moves many times before this software upgrade and have never received a warning. I have my Forward Collision Alert (or whatever it's called) set to "Late."

This happens to me periodically. The pattern that I have noticed is the following:

1) Traveling on a straight road
2) Using the "Early" collision warning setting
3) Car in front of me begins to initiate a turn left or right
4) The turning car is out of my lane, so I begin to accelerate
5) Collision warning and flashing red car immediately in IC

I think the condition is, acceleration with car in front of you. The car is actually a little slow to recognize that the lane in front of you is clear.

Mine goes of all the time. I have it set to "late" too, and I can't image what early is. The car should just say "You may crash at any time, stay the **** home". It goes of several times while I find parking in the morning.

It happens in two places for me.
1. In a bend at low speeds (25mph speed limit), when a car is parked there (stationary).
2. In my jobs parking garage, I'm not sure if the parked car is triggering it, or the garage column.

I had this happen the morning after the last update. I'm set to early. I get a collision ghost about once every week or two, with 30-40 miles driven on autopilot in a typical day. The ghosts lately come and go so quickly that my car really doesn't apply more than a smidge of braking before it goes away.

My guess is that something adjacent to the lane you're in (such as a concrete barrier, sign, or some other stationary object) causes just the right reflection in the radar signal that it confuses the radar system.

Still, even set to Early, it's a pretty rare occurrence for me.

It happens fairly often to me but I have mine set to "early" and it's never been a ghost but 100% of the time it's a parked car and I'm on a winding road or in a large parking garage making sharp 90° turns. It sees the parked car, knows it's a car and thinks you are going to hit it.