TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Front collision warning fluke/ghost

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by DSTAR, May 20, 2016.

1. DSTAR

DSTAR Member

Weird thing has happened to me -- 3 times, maybe four. I am driving along, all of a sudden I get a rapid beep of the front collision warning, there is a red image of a car in front of mine on the dashboard, right in front and flickering red for a second or two... but there is no car in front of me. Then the whole thing disappears and back to normal. A ghost in the machine if you will :)

Has not been a safety issue, and since this only happened a few times, not a huge deal. Just wondering if others have experienced this as well. Thanks.

• Like x 1
  2. Rockster

Rockster Active Member

Has never happened to me. I wonder if you have an intermittent hardware malfunction?

3. Beryl

Beryl Member

I got the red car warning once when driving all alone a couple of weeks ago and added it to the list of things to address at the SC. Tesla acknowledged the problem and referred to it as a 'ghost' but needs for more data to find a resolution. They urged me to use the bug reporting feature each and every time it happens. It hasn't recurred.

Therefore, it appears that the "ghost" is a real thing.

4. JenniferQ

JenniferQ Member

I had that happen to me right after this last software update, but there was a car making a right turn ahead, but far in front of me. I moved a little over to the left to easily go around it and got the warning you mention. I've made similar moves many times before this software upgrade and have never received a warning. I have my Forward Collision Alert (or whatever it's called) set to "Late."

5. DSTAR

DSTAR Member

Thanks. Happened to me again last night... Will use the bug reporting feature next time.

6. hanl1

hanl1 Member

Was is around the same area where these happened? If not, is there any other similarity in the settings?

7. DSTAR

DSTAR Member

No patterns that I can think of...

8. pdxgibby

pdxgibby Member

This happens to me periodically. The pattern that I have noticed is the following:

1) Traveling on a straight road
    2) Using the "Early" collision warning setting
    3) Car in front of me begins to initiate a turn left or right
    4) The turning car is out of my lane, so I begin to accelerate
    5) Collision warning and flashing red car immediately in IC

I think the condition is, acceleration with car in front of you. The car is actually a little slow to recognize that the lane in front of you is clear.

9. jerjozwik

jerjozwik Member

i recall getting the ghost a few months ago. no cars lane changing or anything like that, i merely went under an overpass.

just found out about the bug report feature, i will use it for sure if i see it again.

*end eerie music*

10. FURY

FURY Member

Same thing happened to me, No other cars anywhere near me, at the time, driving on a two lane road.
    Thank you ver much

Fury

11. AWDtsla

AWDtsla Active Member

Mine goes of all the time. I have it set to "late" too, and I can't image what early is. The car should just say "You may crash at any time, stay the **** home". It goes of several times while I find parking in the morning.

12. DSTAR

DSTAR Member

Thanks. I have mine set to "Medium". Seems like this is a sporadic issue for many.

13. Naonak

Naonak Member

Mine is set to medium. I have had this happen a couple times as well.

14. AWDtsla

AWDtsla Active Member

Mine is set the late. Goes of with ever increasing intervals with the newer firmware. It's about to be set to off and never turned back on again.

• Like x 1
  15. GlmnAlyAirCar

GlmnAlyAirCar Member

It happens to me too (late setting). The ghost is weird: it is very faint immediately in front of the toy car (perhaps flickering rapidly), with any "real" cars ahead also lit up in red.

16. Max*

Max* Autopilot != Autonomous

It happens in two places for me.
    1. In a bend at low speeds (25mph speed limit), when a car is parked there (stationary).
    2. In my jobs parking garage, I'm not sure if the parked car is triggering it, or the garage column.

17. Todd Burch

Todd Burch Electron Pilot

I had this happen the morning after the last update. I'm set to early. I get a collision ghost about once every week or two, with 30-40 miles driven on autopilot in a typical day. The ghosts lately come and go so quickly that my car really doesn't apply more than a smidge of braking before it goes away.

My guess is that something adjacent to the lane you're in (such as a concrete barrier, sign, or some other stationary object) causes just the right reflection in the radar signal that it confuses the radar system.

Still, even set to Early, it's a pretty rare occurrence for me.

18. GasKilla

GasKilla No Gas Know Peace

It happens fairly often to me but I have mine set to "early" and it's never been a ghost but 100% of the time it's a parked car and I'm on a winding road or in a large parking garage making sharp 90° turns. It sees the parked car, knows it's a car and thinks you are going to hit it.

19. pdxgibby

pdxgibby Member

I'll take the periodic false warning if it helps when I really need it.

20. AWDtsla

AWDtsla Active Member

What does your brain do with things that happen all the time but don't mean anything? It ignores them.