Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Frustrated with FSD timeline

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know a lot more than you about this. Have you actually used AP2? I have in all situations. You can cite anecdotes but they mean little.

The guy in the second video literally tells u that the ap1 car he used before show lanes in that exact street which his current ap2 car doesn't.
I don't care what you know, I only care what you can prove and what's independently verifiable.

Here is another video to prove my point.

This is AP1 Car showing curb as lane in a similar side street and autosteer being available. Again I can get tons of more video if I wanted.

Elon never said that EAP would be complete before they add any FSD features.

I knew you would say this so I had left it out in my initial post.
currently there are zero, 0, zip EAP features. You can't significantly depart from something that isn't there. So for FSD features to significantly depart from EAP we actually have to have EAP features.

currently there are zero, 0, zip EAP features. You can't significantly depart from something that isn't there. So for FSD features to significantly depart from EAP we actually have to have EAP features.

Seriously. We don't even have AP1 parity let alone the EAP that was "completing final validation" in December 2016. And the FSD that I paid for, what a joke!

I can't wait for a real car company to release a nice EV - Tesla (the company) is a joke at my house and at dinner parties. I don't blame the car (Tessie) but I blame Elon Musk, a total disappointment and no longer my hero.

Those of you who were not scammed into buying a crippled AP2 car will not understand how I feel.

The day they turned on AP for HW2 you had EAP features.

HW1 = AP
HW2 = EAP

It's just a name for the bundle of features not some promise of what features don't exist on HW1.

Oh and the day they enabled the ultrasonic sensors for HW2 you had something that outperformed HW1. They sense objects at twice the range of the first gen ultrasonic sensors.

You might not like the software level you are on but there is a lot in it that didn't exist previously no matter how you do or don't like it.

Actually that is not true.

First Video

Second Video
Just the First Minute
AP2 works in heavy rain:

From your first video, I first watched it without audio and see it actually detecting the curb (shows the outline in blue lines).

Then I listen to the commentary. The problem is not detecting the curb, it's doing that. Rather it allows the car to drift toward it (you can see the car image drifting within the blue lines rather than staying center).

This is consistent with commentary by others who tested both AP1 and AP2.
  • There's one glimmer of hope: AP2 seems to recognize curbs, grass, etc as lane lines on the screen. AP1 has never managed to do that in my experience.

Last edited:
Reactions: croman

HW1 = AP
HW2 = EAP

It's just a name for the bundle of features not some promise of what features don't exist on HW1.

Oh and the day they enabled the ultrasonic sensors for HW2 you had something that outperformed HW1. They sense objects at twice the range of the first gen ultrasonic sensors.

You might not like the software level you are on but there is a lot in it that didn't exist previously no matter how you do or don't like it.

This is incorrect.

feqk35.png

HW2 is not EAP, just like HW2 is not FSD.
EAP is a set of defined features on HW2 just like FSD is a set of defined features on HW2, just like AP is a set of defined features on HW2.

There are still tesla owners with HW2 that only paid for AP1 convenient features ($2500) and haven't upgraded to EAP and are using autopilot.

Haha! Do you actually have an AP2 car? We lucky AP2 owners would still happily trade whatever the ultrasonic sensors are supposedly doing for whatever AP1 actually does.

I love my MS, and I still have a lot of faith in Elon, but Tesla has a long way to go to make things right by early AP2 adopters. AP2 is still a novelty toy; AP1 is solid and represents functionality that "just works," as I was reminded with my last AP1 loaner. AP1, with the promise of EAP and FSD L4 later, is why I bought the MS. In that regard, I have coming up on 8 months disappointed, and I will grumble.

Reactions: kavyboy
AP2 works in heavy rain:

From your first video, I first watched it without audio and see it actually detecting the curb (shows the outline in blue lines).

Then I listen to the commentary. The problem is not detecting the curb, it's doing that. Rather it allows the car to drift toward it (you can see the car image drifting within the blue lines rather than staying center).

Periodic detection isn't detection and that's why it gravitates to it and in the second video it doesn't even see it at all. Watch the AP1 video I posted and see how rock solid it is.

WRONG

notice the periodic detection. infact if you were to time how long it detected the curb vs how long it didn't, the latter outweighs the former and then in other scenario like side street where there is virtually no lanes it doesn't detect the curb even partially or periodically.

AP1 Car

That's after rain with the partially dried roads causing confusion. Doesn't change that it works in rain. Keep in mind, only one counter example is enough to disprove your claim that it doesn't work in rain.

Periodic detection isn't detection and that's why it gravitates to it and in the second video it doesn't even see it at all. Watch the AP1 video I posted and see how rock solid it is.
Periodic detection is still detection. I looked at the AP1 video (only the first couple minutes, don't have the time to look through everything; I presume the later parts are all freeway). It never marks the curb blue like in the AP2 video (the person didn't activate AP on local roads), so really hard to tell, but I can see in the local section, the black line showing the curb comes on and then disappears (for example at 0:12, 0:17) and then comes on again. I don't see it being any more rock solid than the first video you showed (which seems to show the line almost the whole way in blue).

AP2 was supposed to be as good as AP1 by December 2016. That is what Elon said.

Who cares really, it's in parity now. Elon says a lot of things and is typically late. And yet still manages to deliver the impossible. I and pretty much everyone not whining in this forum seem to have cut him some slack and sent his stock to all time highs on almost a weekly basis.

As far as bladerskb goes. He had some kind of agenda and it appears to be focused on bashing Tesla. He doesn't own a Tesla, doubt he has a model 3 reservation. I mean why would he, the car can't even drive itself yet and Audi is so much better. He can just do get the affordable all electric Audi with great range... Oh wait.. it doesn't exist. I'm sure it's due to come out in the magical year of 2020 when everyone else is releasing there Tesla killers.

I to have an AP2 car and it has exceeded my expectations for a driver assist. Now on to fsd. See you in Dec.

Who cares really, it's in parity now. Elon says a lot of things and is typically late. And yet still manages to deliver the impossible. I and pretty much everyone not whining in this forum seem to have cut him some slack and sent his stock to all time highs on almost a weekly basis.

As far as bladerskb goes. He had some kind of agenda and it appears to be focused on bashing Tesla. He doesn't own a Tesla, doubt he has a model 3 reservation. I mean why would he, the car can't even drive itself yet and Audi is so much better. He can just do get the affordable all electric Audi with great range... Oh wait.. it doesn't exist. I'm sure it's due to come out in the magical year of 2020 when everyone else is releasing there Tesla killers.

I to have an AP2 car and it has exceeded my expectations for a driver assist. Now on to fsd. See you in Dec.
Its still not in parity with AP1. Its close, but still not. AP2 still wanders around within the lane. No perpendicular parking. Does not read speed limits etc.
What wrong did Audi do? They did not over promise and under deliver.
I know what Tesla is doing is awesome, but they should not over promise.

Even though bladerskb has an agenda, what he says is correct most of the time. Its just that tesla fans cannot handle it. One should be objective.
I like Tesla, but I am not a fanboy.

Last edited:
Reactions: oktane
As an owner of an AP1 and an AP2 at the same time, I can confirm that AP2 is nowhere near AP1 in terms of product maturity. AP1 still performs better, smoother. It also detects more accurately while AP2 sort of hunts for the nearest vehicles. Functions are available on AP1 that are not available on AP2 as cited in this post. AP2 owners have some, but not all of the functions as of right now and I wouldn't consider the two to have achieved parity.

With that said, AP2 is starting to exceed AP1 in terms of capability. It did play a part of why I sold my AP1 recently to get another AP2. Over the past month, we have noticed our AP2 does a better job on any non-freeway road. It is able to detect a "lane" even without markings where an AP1 would not even attempt to.

While I'm excited about the additional capabilities of EAP/AP2/FSD, I have to wonder if additional capability being released without the required maturity is a safety concern. Especially with FSD. I know what Elon is saying, but I just don't see FSD being available by year end. I do think they will meet the December date for EAP...just December 2017 instead of 2016.

**As of today, in terms of day to day living, the only major thing I miss on a regular basis is rain sensing wipers. If I think hard, I notice little things (I think I disengage AP2 more frequently, seems to "bounce" more in an AP2, lack of lane markings, etc.) but none of it really annoys me. I don't really think about being in an AP1 vs an AP2; except when it starts raining, I always get annoyed at my AP2. #firstworldproblems

Correct me if I am wrong but teslas
original plan with AP was to roll out AP20 with AP10 as backup and progressively switch off AP10.

I really wonder how the hell anybody at tesla thought that Mobileye was going to be OK with that?!
Mobileye said that they would continue to supply EyeQ3 chips even after their break with Tesla, just that they will not supply the next generation. A lot of people read the break as a complete break, but that was not the case.