Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Frustrated with FSD timeline

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think this is correct. Just guessing of course, but it does makes sense that they would have the AP1-system (EyeQ) running on the Main camera, and have the others input to PX2 in shadow mode

not quite. the main camera will feed both the EyeQ3 chip and Drive PX2. They can then compare the outputs of ap1 to ap2. Basically using ap1 output as a baseline to developing parity, tremendously reducing dev time.

So let me get this straight:

When Tesla made that EAP statement in Design Studio in October/November 2016, you believe EAP was really expected to be complete as described in December 2016? As in four active camera, auto lane changes etc.?

Really?
From what we know so far, here's what I my feel for the back story is. Assuming AP1 hardware was to stay, the AP1 features wouldn't be the issue. So mainly the purely EAP features would be worked on in those couple of months. So in December the plan was to begin to roll out some EAP features (not have all of them roll at once, Tesla never rolls features out this way).

That obviously changed with Mobileye refusing to let AP1 hardware stay. So Tesla Vision had to fill in and it became a matter of if it can reach close to parity in a couple of months. I would have to dig up the reference, but Elon had been personally using a full speed version of Tesla Vision for quite some time (well before the recent release; edit: more complete quote below), so I think Elon had a feel that this wasn't something impossible. Even back in October/November, Tesla Vision had already been under a lot of development already (remember, that was part of the reason for Mobileye's break up).

"Safety is always our primary concern. So, really we could have released Tesla Vision and including (18:42) high speed, probably three months ago - I was driving at a high speed personally three months ago, but I think we want to just have an exhaustive testing process, vetting (18:57) process before enabling that throughout the fleet."
From 2/22/2017 Earnings call.
Tesla's Attempt To Leverage Mobileye IP - Tesla Motors (NASDAQ:TSLA) | Seeking Alpha

Last edited:
no it doesn't. mobileye dropped them in the summer. their december timeline which elon stated in the press conference and was stated on their official purchase page were not in anyway associated to continuation of mobileye eye3 chip.

Mobileye was not in the cards at all when AP2/EAP was announced! Tesla was already manufacturing cars with the EAP hardware without Mobileye at that stage when they posted the Design Studio!

Mobileye was dropped long before.

Yep, MobilEye and Tesla broke up in july '16
TESLARATI.com
I would have to dig up the direct quote about AP1 hardware staying, but I remember it came well after the Mobileye break up announcement.

Edit: it was a February earnings call this year, but the direct quotes were actually a lot vaguer than what I recall (I guess I read someone else's analysis paraphrasing):
Elon Musk Says Mobileye Forced Tesla Vision "Across the Rubicon" | Inverse

"Yes, we had some challenges in the transition from Mobileye to Tesla software running on GPU. Our original plan was to have a migration strategy, where we have Mobileye and Tesla Vision operating at the same time to have kind of a smooth process, but Mobileye refused to do that. So, that poised (18:16) us to re-spin the board and caused unexpected delays where we had to basically (18:22) from the board and just kind of (18:26) Tesla Vision."

More complete quote here:
Tesla's Attempt To Leverage Mobileye IP - Tesla Motors (NASDAQ:TSLA) | Seeking Alpha

Note, Tesla was still using Mobileye hardware well after the official break up in 2016, from the same linked article by @lunitiks:
"Shashua did say MobilEye would continue to work with Tesla to improve how EyeQ3 performs in the Model S and Model X. “EyeQ3 shipments will continue for the near future, and maybe for the longer future,” Shashua said."

Last edited:
From what we know so far, here's what I my feel for the back story is. Assuming AP1 hardware was to stay, the AP1 features wouldn't be the issue. So mainly the purely EAP features would be worked on in those couple of months. So in December the plan was to begin to roll out some EAP features (not have all of them roll at once, Tesla never rolls features out this way).

That obviously changed with Mobileye refusing to let AP1 hardware stay. So Tesla Vision had to fill in and it became a matter of if it can reach close to parity in a couple of months. I would have to dig up the reference, but Elon had been personally using a full speed version of Tesla Vision for quite some time (well before the recent release), so I think Elon had a feel that this wasn't something impossible. Even back in October/November, Tesla Vision had already been under a lot of development already (remember, that was part of the reason for Mobileye's break up).

First: Tesla opened the AP2/EAP Design Studio in October 2016, right? Mobileye relationship had already ended three months earlier and very publicly. No way did Tesla not know in October 2016 that the Mobileye solution would not be a part of EAP in December 2016... Honestly, I think you must know this too, if you think it through...

Second: EAP is still so far from what was said to be rolled-out in December 2016 that I have a hard time believing the rest of your speculation either. To me it seems plausible Tesla knew full well they should not have said the things they said back then... but no problem, we can agree to disagree on that possibility. That is of course speculative.

First: Tesla opened the AP2/EAP Design Studio in October 2016, right? Mobileye relationship had already ended three months earlier and very publicly. No way did Tesla not know in October 2016 that the Mobileye solution would not be a part of EAP in December 2016... Honestly, I think you must know this too, if you think it through...

Second: EAP is still so far from what was said to be rolled-out in December 2016 that I have a hard time believing the rest of your speculation either. To me it seems plausible Tesla knew full well they should not have said the things they said back then... but no problem, we can agree to disagree on that possibility. That is of course speculative.
See my other post. After the Mobileye break up, Mobileye made it clear they would continue supplying and supporting EyeQ3 for Tesla (potentially for a long time). Tesla only said they were parting ways on the fully autonomous solution, but didn't say they would part ways on the L2 solution. In fact, they were supplying EyeQ3 up to the last moment of the AP2 announcement and currently they continue to supply support for existing EyeQ3 based cars.

Reactions: ohmman
See my other post. After the Mobileye break up, Mobileye made it clear they would continue supplying and supporting EyeQ3 (potentially for a long time). Tesla only said they were parting ways on the fully autonomous solution, but didn't say they would part ways on the L2 solution.

Still... to think that Tesla in October 2016, when they posted the EAP Design Studio, would not have known they start building AP2 cars within a month without MobilEye chips in them...

I just can't see that timeline, sorry. Tesla must have known Mobileye was out completely when then made the AP2 / EAP Design Studio announcement in October 2016. No other timeline makes sense to me given all that we heard at the time...

If you feel differently I guess there is nothing I can say, but I just can't realistically see what you are saying as even possible.

See my other post. After the Mobileye break up, Mobileye made it clear they would continue supplying and supporting EyeQ3 for Tesla (potentially for a long time). Tesla only said they were parting ways on the fully autonomous solution, but didn't say they would part ways on the L2 solution. In fact, they were supplying EyeQ3 up to the last moment of the AP2 announcement and currently they continue to supply support for existing EyeQ3 based cars.

tesla started making ap2 cars late sept.

I can not see a scenario where Tesla thought still in October 2016 that AP2 cars would have Mobileye chip in them. That does not seem possible at all, given they were building the AP2 cars around that time...

So, when Tesla announced that EAP would roll-out with auto lange changes, four cameras and all in December 2016, which they did in October/November 2016, they must have known Mobileye would not be a part of this equation.

Back in July, Elon stated that the breakup was expected and changed nothing. In his own words:
“This was expected and will not have any material effect on our plans. MobilEye’s ability to evolve its technology is unfortunately negatively affected by having to support hundreds of models from legacy auto companies, resulting in a very high engineering drag coefficient. Tesla is laser-focused on achieving full self-driving capability on one integrated platform with an order of magnitude greater safety than the average manually driven car.”
Elon Musk comments on Tesla discontinuing Mobileye’s Autopilot system, says it doesn’t affect timeline

You seem to be suggesting something that was categorically never said. FSD diverging from EAP in "Maybe 3 months" is the quote.

You've turned that into "Elon said Full Self Driving capability features in 9 days" and are using words like "promised". That is a terrible misrepresentation.

Reactions: kingjamez
Back on the EAP:

The theory that Tesla was putting a braver face on the AP2 situation than was reality through the summer and autumn of 2016 seems plausible, given how immature AP2 turned out to be in December 2016 - compared to Tesla statements around that time...

Again, this is what Tesla said on Design Studio EAP would offer the buyer:

EAP... is expected to complete validation and be rolled out to your car via over-the-air update in December 2016, subject to regulatory approval.

Tesla-enhanced-autopilot-upgrade.jpg

I can not see a scenario where Tesla thought still in October 2016 that AP2 cars would have Mobileye chip in them. That does not seem possible at all, given they were building the AP2 cars around that time...

So, when Tesla announced that EAP would roll-out with auto lange changes, four cameras and all in December 2016, which they did in October/November 2016, they must have known Mobileye would not be a part of this equation.

Exactly, not only was AP2 car started being manufactured in late sept. But included in the announcement is the fact that the new cars will lack many standard basic safety features such as AEB, or even simple cruise control. that in of itself tells you that it won't have mobileye eyeQ3. there is without a doubt that mobileye was completely out the equation for that announcement and December promise.

Elon even said in the ap2 announcement press conference that ap1 cars would be better than ap2 cars for acouple months.

Any speculation that tesla had planned mobileye ap1 eyeq3 implementation is pure ludicrous.

Still... to think that Tesla in October 2016, when they posted the EAP Design Studio, would not have known they start building AP2 cars within a month without MobilEye chips in them...

I just can't see that timeline, sorry. Tesla must have known Mobileye was out completely when then made the AP2 / EAP Design Studio announcement in October 2016. No other timeline makes sense to me given all that we heard at the time...

If you feel differently I guess there is nothing I can say, but I just can't realistically see what you are saying as even possible.
If Tesla operated like a regular car company, I would agree, it's impossible. But Tesla doesn't (a regular car company would never do a mid-year transition like they did with AP2 also, nor take deposits in this way).

Whatever happened around the release time, as noted, they obviously figured out Mobileye was out a good while before December (that part we both agree). But in November, Elon was already driving a full speed Tesla Vision (which was potentially ready for public release). That justifies that time estimate.

If Tesla operated like a regular car company, I would agree, it's impossible. But Tesla doesn't (a regular car company would never do a mid-year transition like they did with AP2 also, nor take deposits in this way).

Whatever happened around the release time, as noted, they obviously figured out Mobileye was out a good while before December (that part we both agree). But in November, Elon was already driving a full speed Tesla Vision (which was potentially ready for public release). That justifies that time estimate.

But they were cranking out AP2 hardware already at least in October 2016. They MUST have known Mobileye chip was not in those cars, when they made the EAP statement in October 2016. Right?

What Elon was driving seems rather irrelevant, though. He was in a position to find out the real status and one can assume he did...

what does elon driving a full speed dev software have to do with anything? that doesn't justifies anything.
elon/tesla said they will have ap1 parity, on-ramp/off-ramp, self lane changing and smart summon, self parking and autosteer+ done by December.

elon driving and testing a development build means nothing.
why do you never discuss facts. why?