Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Frustrated with general lack of response from Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes and no. Yes, that's basically what happened, but it's not really the sales rep's fault. Since, at the time, I didn't really believe the whole double bonus situation, I agreed to let them change the referral code. This was probably a mistake on my part, but I didn't really know the person receiving the referral bonus either way, so it was basically the same to me. Hell, I didn't even know 100% the person _was_ from Virginia. :smile:

Didn't Tesla say the referrals were would be accepted in good faith as in you actually referred the person for sale? As you said you didn't know the person. You still got the regular discount so I wouldn't be upset by that's just me.

CRAP

No, no, this did not work out. Never mind what I said. Just got off the phone with my DS, and he absolutely re-confirmed with me that I am not eligible for the $2000, that the wording in the original email is almost completely backwards.

Only buyers taking delivery and registering in Ohio or Virginia will be eligible for the bonus. I'm pretty sick of this back-and-forth crap. They screwed up with the emails about the referral, to be honest. They should have released a complete plan, not some half-assed email that everyone is going to make a bunch of assumptions about.

If anyone can point me to someone who has actually taken delivery out-of-state with an OH or VA purchase, and received the $2000 bonus, I would appreciate it. Otherwise, there's going to be a bunch of extremely unhappy buyers in the near future.

@thomas I appreciate the sentiment, and I almost didn't bother worrying about it originally. But two points:

• For me, this was less about the money, and more about the misinformation and lack of response. I had already committed to the original price, but I'm getting very different responses from everyone I talk to.
  • It's not just ~1% of the purchase, it's $1000. That pays for the electrical plug in the garage, or a center console, or any number of additional expenses. This is a very expensive car, and there's more than a few people stretching to make it work. It also reduces the tax burden ($60 here, but much more elsewhere).

You still got the original discount you were planning on and everyone else did. I don't see why this should ruin your buying experience. This is a new program and these state laws threw some wrinkles into the implementation. You got caught in the middle. Considering you didn't actually know the person that goes against the spirit of the program anyway.

CRAP

No, no, this did not work out. Never mind what I said. Just got off the phone with my DS, and he absolutely re-confirmed with me that I am not eligible for the $2000, that the wording in the original email is almost completely backwards.

Only buyers taking delivery and registering in Ohio or Virginia will be eligible for the bonus. I'm pretty sick of this back-and-forth crap. They screwed up with the emails about the referral, to be honest. They should have released a complete plan, not some half-assed email that everyone is going to make a bunch of assumptions about.

If anyone can point me to someone who has actually taken delivery out-of-state with an OH or VA purchase, and received the $2000 bonus, I would appreciate it. Otherwise, there's going to be a bunch of extremely unhappy buyers in the near future.

@thomas I appreciate the sentiment, and I almost didn't bother worrying about it originally. But two points:

• For me, this was less about the money, and more about the misinformation and lack of response. I had already committed to the original price, but I'm getting very different responses from everyone I talk to.
  • It's not just ~1% of the purchase, it's $1000. That pays for the electrical plug in the garage, or a center console, or any number of additional expenses. This is a very expensive car, and there's more than a few people stretching to make it work. It also reduces the tax burden ($60 here, but much more elsewhere).

Think for a second about the discussion going on at Fremont. "Where does this go if we give a KY referee additional $1k because their referrer was OH? Yikes, then all of the people who have had $1k discount will demand another $1k... because they could have gotten if only they had used referral code from OH! AND, this would tilt the playing field for the referral prizes to OH and VA. Because who would use a referral from another state?" So, unfortunately you were the loser in the attempt to pi$$ off the least people.

It's not that at all. Apparently the wording of the original email was completely wrong, and it's leading to a lot of confusion (and frustration). It actually makes sense to me now that I've had time to think it through, and hopefully this will clear it up for others.

Basically, it's not the referral that's the issue in these states, it's the sale/registration of the car. When you register the car in OH or VA, no matter whose code you are using, the referrer does not get the $1000.

Even if the referrer is in a non-broken state, if the buyer is in OH or VA, the referrer does not get the bonus!

On the other hand, if the buyer is in any state other than OH or VA, then the referrer gets the bonus, even if they are in OH or VA.

Maybe I should post a new thread up top to help clear this up for everyone.

It's not that at all. Apparently the wording of the original email was completely wrong, and it's leading to a lot of confusion (and frustration). It actually makes sense to me now that I've had time to think it through, and hopefully this will clear it up for others.

Basically, it's not the referral that's the issue in these states, it's the sale/registration of the car. When you register the car in OH or VA, no matter whose code you are using, the referrer does not get the $1000.

Even if the referrer is in a non-broken state, if the buyer is in OH or VA, the referrer does not get the bonus!

On the other hand, if the buyer is in any state other than OH or VA, then the referrer gets the bonus, even if they are in OH or VA.

Maybe I should post a new thread up top to help clear this up for everyone.

Definitely took a moment to wrap my head around that, but it does make sense. I bet Tesla (or rather the folks dealing with at on the ground) will be glad when this experiment is over.

I appreciate that you all feel I was abusing the referral program. I almost didn't post here originally because I figured that would be the response. :-(

It was never my intent to abuse the program. I don't exactly have a lot of access to other Tesla drivers out here in Louisville, there's only a few in the area total. We're 2 hours from the nearest sales or service center. That doesn't mean I haven't been sold on the car from these forums and Reddit, or that I hadn't convinced myself to buy the car with minimal assistance from sales. I'm extremely passionate about the car, and I will continue to be. I plan on showing and sharing this car with everyone I meet. Tesla will get the referral money back out of me in the long run.

I don't really care about the doubled bonus—not in the long run. Excuse me for being frustrated that I was just told I was going to be given an extra $1000, then told literally 15 minutes later, "Nope!". I like having money. I think most people do. I vented a little there, but I am extremely happy I'm getting the $1000 referral discount. I'm very excited to be getting my car. I took photos of the plug and circuit breaker I had installed yesterday, for cripe's sake! :biggrin:

As I wrote above, I was more frustrated by the lack of response combined with having very different answers. It turns out my DS was right all along; I take full responsibility for not listening to him, and instead trusting the internet (including these forums).

Now I can move on and go back to just being excited and anxious about getting the car.

To me it makes more sense if the restriction applies only to the referrer, not the buyer. Otherwise it would be fine for a Virginia resident to refer somebody from out of state. But that would make him an unlicensed car salesman which is exactly what the law prohibits. The restriction is not about buyers. It is about unlicensed car salesman. In this topic there is more discussion about this.

I appreciate that you all feel I was abusing the referral program. I almost didn't post here originally because I figured that would be the response. :-(

It was never my intent to abuse the program. I don't exactly have a lot of access to other Tesla drivers out here in Louisville, there's only a few in the area total. We're 2 hours from the nearest sales or service center. That doesn't mean I haven't been sold on the car from these forums and Reddit, or that I hadn't convinced myself to buy the car with minimal assistance from sales. I'm extremely passionate about the car, and I will continue to be. I plan on showing and sharing this car with everyone I meet. Tesla will get the referral money back out of me in the long run.

I don't really care about the doubled bonus—not in the long run. Excuse me for being frustrated that I was just told I was going to be given an extra $1000, then told literally 15 minutes later, "Nope!". I like having money. I think most people do. I vented a little there, but I am extremely happy I'm getting the $1000 referral discount. I'm very excited to be getting my car. I took photos of the plug and circuit breaker I had installed yesterday, for cripe's sake! :biggrin:

As I wrote above, I was more frustrated by the lack of response combined with having very different answers. It turns out my DS was right all along; I take full responsibility for not listening to him, and instead trusting the internet (including these forums).

Now I can move on and go back to just being excited and anxious about getting the car.

You will love your car, and this will be distant memory, I predict. FWIW, I don't think we ALL felt you were abusing program. I certainly did not. However I do feel the program is ripe for abuse and confusion... you've proven so on the confusion front!

I don't think anyone thought tou were abusing the program. Everyone likes money and you were just trying to take advantage of the program you thought was in place. There likely was little response as they were just as confused about the program as you. Running into 50 different state laws is difficult and error are bound to happen. Over time this should get better.

To me it makes more sense if the restriction applies only to the referrer, not the buyer. Otherwise it would be fine for a Virginia resident to refer somebody from out of state. But that would make him an unlicensed car salesman which is exactly what the law prohibits. The restriction is not about buyers. It is about unlicensed car salesman. In this topic there is more discussion about this.

That's the exact same quotes that have been splattered across the internet. I have to hear of a single, non-anecdotal case of someone actually getting the doubled discount and not registering it in VA or OH.

Think for a second about the discussion going on at Fremont. "Where does this go if we give a KY referee additional $1k because their referrer was OH? Yikes, then all of the people who have had $1k discount will demand another $1k... because they could have gotten if only they had used referral code from OH! AND, this would tilt the playing field for the referral prizes to OH and VA. Because who would use a referral from another state?" So, unfortunately you were the loser in the attempt to pi$$ off the least people.

I don't care about the discussion in Freemont. They didn't make it clear from the beginning, leading everyone to believe they can get $2k. Want to see the wording of the VA email? (I have it). There is nothing about taking delivery in VA. Just some BS about being car sales men, and the fact that they can't give me the $1k, but will give it to the buyer instead. Period. That's it. Nothing about the buyer has to be from VA.

They should be honoring this in good faith and fix the damn language going forward.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, OP - welcome to Tesla ownership. On again-off again-on again-off again-let's change this-now let's do that-nah, let's go back.

I don't care about the discussion in Freemont. They didn't make it clear from the beginning, leading everyone to believe they can get $2k. Want to see the wording of the VA email? (I have it). There is nothing about taking delivery in VA. Just some BS about being car sales men, and the fact that they can't give me the $1k, but will give it to the buyer instead. Period. That's it. Nothing about the buyer has to be from VA.

They should be honoring this in good faith and fix the damn language going forward.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, OP - welcome to Tesla ownership. On again-off again-on again-off again-let's change this-now let's do that-nah, let's go back.

Buy another car

I looked to more recent topics and it appears I was wrong. On Tesla forums I found this message. It says:

I used Redmiata98's link and my DS determined that because I don't live in Virginia, he can indeed get his store credit in Virginia.

The way I understanding it now, it works like this:

Referrer and buyer are from Virginia: Buyer gets $2000
Referrer and buyer are from Ohio: Buyer gets $2000
Every other combination (including those below) : Referrer gets $1000, Buyer gets $1000

Referrer is from from Virginia, buyer isn't: Referrer gets $1000, Buyer gets $1000
Referrer is from from Ohio, buyer isn't: Referrer gets $1000, Buyer gets $1000

That actually makes the most sense! If it's really that simple, Tesla needs to put out a press release or a blog post clarifying it, now.

Now my original order sheet only had the $1,000. I contacted my DS after the build was finished. I simply told my DS to make sure my account has the $2k discount, because I used a referral code from a VA resident. He checked and told me my account has the $2,000 off attached.

I would bet a huge majority of the people who used a code did not personally know the person the code belonged to.

I agree, and I don't feel that automatically means the referral is invalid.

What about folks that put QR codes on their cars? Helped out people with videos and info like Bjorn or Kman? They still sold those cars whether or not they knew the person directly.