Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki FSD’s Earliest Adopters Still Waiting

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had already upgraded the cameras in my 17 Model X for better dashcam video mo the ago, and didn’t get the Beta. Obviously the car’s config also needs to be updated.

Went to the local Service Center, and asked them to update the config to reflect the updated cameras. They refused. I got the sense they don’t want to get in trouble with all the attention that is being placed on the camera issue. They were apologetic, but said I just need to wait.

On another note: I just opted out. Time to enjoy the car again while waiting.

You upgraded all cameras (triple inline front, side repeaters, and B-pillars) yourself?

Just curious to know which part numbers you used

Reactions: gaspi101
You upgraded all cameras (triple inline front, side repeaters, and B-pillars) yourself?

Just curious to know which part numbers you used
@technoz posted all the part numbrs on page 20 of this thread...

Just to clear up some confusion here a restricted part means tesla must install at the service center. It makes perfect sense for this to be so this is the main eye for our tesla's. It requires careful calibration with a bunch of stationary signs with specific locations. Would you want to take the liability replacing these camera's? What if you had an accident and they pointed it back to improper installation? I paid only 30 bucks to have the latest triple cam installed at the service center. Later this week I will have all the cams upgraded and will be the guinea pig here. The build can be edited just like they did with the 60 --> 75 pack. There is a configurable area in the MCU to specify V2 cams once this is changed from V1 to V2 we should be good. The time to replace all the cams realistically is 30 mins for a well seasoned tesla tech. Nothing is stopping you from going to tesla parts counter in the service center and ordering all the upgraded cams. If you want the updated PN's they are in the EPC parts catalog online. I had to educate the service and parts advisors on this whole camera debacle last week. They were very appreciative as Corporate is always leaving them in the dark.

Here are all the updated Camera Parts to bring you up to a Jan 2021 Build for a MS

INLINE TRIPLE CAM, S/X/3 1120520-00-B
LAMP ASY, SIDE REPEATER CAMERA, RH 1642011-00-A
LAMP ASY, SIDE REPEATER CAMERA, LH 1642010-00-A
APPLIQUE,MS,B PLR,RH ASSY 1496709-S0-B
APPLIQUE,MS,B PLR,LH ASSY 1496707-S0-B
Backup Camera doesn't need to be upgraded using same model# and is RGGB

I finally got my cameras appointment cancelled after 10 days. Message acknowledged the cameras would be replaced and told me to keep checking Tesla.com. Yeah right. Of course there was no offer to contact me.

Instead of frequent visits to the Tesla.com black hole I will keep checking here where information/communication is actually a priority. Let’s keep this thread active and report back when camera swaps start happening.

I think I will keep rescheduling this appointment about once a month. Seems ridiculous to do that but since they won’t contact me when they have the parts it seems like a reasonable alternative.

I just want to share my experience with swapping all the AP cameras in my February built 2017 Model S.

If interested, I documented all the install process here.

• I bought all the Autopilot cameras (except for the rearview camera) from a salvaged Raven Performance Model S on April 6th 2020.
  • I did the install on September 2020 and the specs of my car at the time were: 2017 Feb built Model S with MCU1 and full AP2.0 hardware (computer and cameras).
  • The actual parts that came off the Raven and that were installed at the time were: (some of these parts have currently changed, more on this below).
1125106-00-E - MS/ MX LAMP ASY, SIDE REPEATER (LH)​
1125107-00-E - MS/ MX LAMP ASY, SIDE REPEATER (RH)​
1120520-00-B - INLINE TRIPLE CAM, S/X/3​
1069104-00-D - MS,B PLR,CAM ASSY​
  • When I finished the full camera swap (except for the rearview camera), I scheduled an appointment at my local Service Center, in order to have the MCU2 upgrade alongside the FSD computer install ( the car had all the cameras updated with no errors thrown by the car). I also did the radio tuner upgrade myself with parts from eBay in order to save the $500 bucks Tesla wanted, but that's another story!
  • I personally wanted to experiment and document if the AP camera type line of code in my Model S' gateway.config file really needed to be changed alongside the hardware. Was the hardware swap enough or did the car require the software modification as well? I wanted to find out if the AP2.0 computer actually behaved any different after the camera swap, and then find out if it behaved differently after the MCU and FSD computer upgrade, without changing any software line of code.
  • So I drove a little over 200 miles on AP with the new cameras and the old MCU1 and AP2.0 computer to set the baseline and then drove the exact same route a few days later, with the new MCU2 and FSD computer. Both tests were carried out with the Autopilot Camera Type line of code in the gateway.config file set to value 1, aka: (RCCC_CAMERAS):
{
"description":"Type of autopilot camera installed",
"content":{
"enums":[
{
"codeKey":"UNKNOWN",
"description":"",
"value":"0"
},
{
"codeKey":"RCCC_CAMERAS",
"description":"RCCC Cameras for vehicles built with DAS HW2.0 only",
"value":"1"
},
{
"codeKey":"RCCB_CAMERAS",
"description":"RCCB Cameras",
"value":"2"
}
]
},
"accessId":"autopilotCameraType",
"codeKey":"autopilotCameraType",
"products":[
"ModelS/X"
]

As you can see in the image below:
WhatsApp Image 2021-10-30 at 5.31.10 PM.jpeg

• My tests determined that the change in the gateway.config file was not actually needed in order for any of the two AP computers to do their job. I wasn't able to notice any tangible difference on both drives.
  • After a few months of AP driving on this configuration, on January 2021, I noticed Tesla listed 2 new side repeaters on its Parts Catalog (which as of this writing, they are still the latest and greatest side repeater cameras for the Oct 2016 to Jan 2021 Model S and X vehicles):
1642010-00-A - MS/ MX LAMP ASY, SIDE REPEATER (LH)​
1642011-00-A - MS/ MX LAMP ASY, SIDE REPEATER (RH)​
Screen Shot 2021-10-30 at 6.13.17 p.m..png
  • So I decided I was going to once again swap my side repeaters for the new ones. I placed an order for both at my local Service Center and gave them a shot. Considering I was changing my side repeater cameras again, I decided that this time I was going to change the Autopilot Camera Type line of code in the gateway.config file now to value 2, aka: (RCCB_CAMERAS), and so I did.
  • Once again, I drove the same route, but wasn't able to notice any difference on the image quality or any change on the AP behavior.
  • My conclusions, at that time, were that there was no tangible differences in the AP driving characteristics when changing the software camera type line of code on the vehicle's Gateway... that was until Elon's tweet regarding the cameras and FSD Beta 😒.
  • I don't work at Tesla and have no way of knowing for a fact anything related to my suspicions, but I believe (as many others have stated here in this thread), that probably Tesla is training it's NN with RCCB images, considering they are the vast majority of camera feeds they receive from the fleet, since all Model 3's and Model Y's, as well as all Model S' and Model X's built from August 2017 onwards are equipped with RCCB cameras.
  • I also personally believe that [eventually] Tesla is going to install this exact part numbers on our AP2.0 factory built vehicles, as these part numbers have not changed at all in a while and all the Palladium S and X's and all 3's and Y's have different size and trim color cameras, (they are chrome deleted).
1642010-00-A- MS/ MX LAMP ASY, SIDE REPEATER (LH)
  • Regarding the FSD software on my Model S, (considering I have a Feb 2017 Model S with the full camera swap and the RCCB software tag enabled in it's Gateway), unfortunately I didn't hit the "Request Full Self-Driving Beta" button when my car got the 2021.32.22 firmware update, as I thought the Beta Score® thing was a plain ridiculous joke on us early adopters that were promised, and payed for, FSD since October 2016, so my Model S is currently on the 2021.36.5.5 software branch with all of us that didn't request the FSD Beta and/or declined to play Elon's games on software and features we payed for literally years ago.
  • Sorry for my long post, but just wanted to share my 2 cents on the matter.

Last edited:
Regarding the FSD software on my Model S, (considering I have a Feb 2017 Model S with the full camera swap and the RCCB software tag enabled in it's Gateway), unfortunately I didn't hit the "Request Full Self-Driving Beta" button when my car got the 2021.32.22 firmware update, as I thought the Beta Score® thing was a plain ridiculous joke on us early adopters that were promised, and payed for, FSD since October 2016, so my Model S is currently on the 2021.36.5.5 software branch with all of us that didn't request the FSD Beta and/or declined to play Elon's games on software and features we payed for literally years ago.

Do you think that you'll get into the Beta with your current hardware and retrofits? Or does 2021.36.5.5 nor have the "Request Button"?

I was thinking about going down the same route and replacing the cameras myself (I just did the side repeaters on Friday), but now I'm thinking I should wait.. 😔

• Regarding the FSD software on my Model S, (considering I have a Feb 2017 Model S with the full camera swap and the RCCB software tag enabled in it's Gateway), unfortunately I didn't hit the "Request Full Self-Driving Beta" button when my car got the 2021.32.22 firmware update, as I thought the Beta Score® thing was a plain ridiculous joke on us early adopters that were promised, and payed for, FSD since October 2016, so my Model S is currently on the 2021.36.5.5 software branch with all of us that didn't request the FSD Beta and/or declined to play Elon's games on software and features we payed for literally years ago.
So, if you have all the new cameras & your car’s configuration has been updated, why don’t you opt in to see if you get FSD Beta? Then you could prove if what you did is sufficient to get it.

I finally got my cameras appointment cancelled after 10 days. Message acknowledged the cameras would be replaced and told me to keep checking Tesla.com. Yeah right. Of course there was no offer to contact me.

Instead of frequent visits to the Tesla.com black hole I will keep checking here where information/communication is actually a priority. Let’s keep this thread active and report back when camera swaps start happening.

I think I will keep rescheduling this appointment about once a month. Seems ridiculous to do that but since they won’t contact me when they have the parts it seems like a reasonable alternative.
Squeaky wheel gets the grease. Do it.

I just want to share my experience with swapping all the AP cameras in my February built 2017 Model S.

• I bought all the Autopilot cameras (except for the rearview camera) from a salvaged Raven Performance Model S on April 6th 2020.
  • I did the install on September 2020 and the specs of my car at the time were: 2017 Feb built Model S with MCU1 and full AP2.0 hardware (computer and cameras).
  • The actual parts that came off the Raven and that were installed at the time were: (some of these parts have currently changed, more on this below).
  • When I finished the full camera swap (except for the rearview camera), I scheduled an appointment at my local Service Center, in order to have the MCU2 upgrade alongside the FSD computer install ( the car had all the cameras updated with no errors thrown by the car). I also did the radio tuner upgrade myself with parts from eBay in order to save the $500 bucks Tesla wanted, but that's another story!
  • I personally wanted to experiment and document if the AP camera type line of code in my Model S' gateway.config file really needed to be changed alongside the hardware. Was the hardware swap enough or did the car require the software modification as well? I wanted to find out if the AP2.0 computer actually behaved any different after the camera swap, and then find out if it behaved differently after the MCU and FSD computer upgrade, without changing any software line of code.
  • So I drove a little over 200 miles on AP with the new cameras and the old MCU1 and AP2.0 computer to set the baseline and then drove the exact same route a few days later, with the new MCU2 and FSD computer. Both tests were carried out with the Autopilot Camera Type line of code in the gateway.config file set to value 1, aka: (RCCC_CAMERAS):
{
{
},
{
},
{
}
]
},
"ModelS/X"
]

View attachment 727622
  • My tests determined that the change in the gateway.config file was not actually needed in order for any of the two AP computers to do their job. I wasn't able to notice any tangible difference on both drives.
  • After a few months of AP driving on this configuration, on January 2021, I noticed Tesla listed 2 new side repeaters on its Parts Catalog (which as of this writing, they are still the latest and greatest side repeater cameras for the Oct 2016 to Jan 2021 Model S and X vehicles):
  • So I decided I was going to once again swap my side repeaters for the new ones. I placed an order for both at my local Service Center and gave them a shot. Considering I was changing my side repeater cameras again, I decided that this time I was going to change the Autopilot Camera Type line of code in the gateway.config file now to value 2, aka: (RCCB_CAMERAS), and so I did.
  • Once again, I drove the same route, but wasn't able to notice any difference on the image quality or any change on the AP behavior.
  • My conclusions, at that time, were that there was no tangible differences in the AP driving characteristics when changing the software camera type line of code on the vehicle's Gateway... that was until Elon's tweet regarding the cameras and FSD Beta 😒.
  • I don't work at Tesla and have no way of knowing for a fact anything related to my suspicions, but I believe (as many others have stated here in this thread), that probably Tesla is training it's NN with RCCB images, considering they are the vast majority of camera feeds they receive from the fleet, since all Model 3's and Model Y's, as well as all Model S' and Model X's built from August 2017 onwards are equipped with RCCB cameras.
  • I also personally believe that [eventually] Tesla is going to install this exact part numbers on our AP2.0 factory built vehicles, as these part numbers have not changed at all in a while and all the Palladium S and X's and all 3's and Y's have different size and trim color cameras, (they are chrome deleted).

What a fantastic write up—you’re brave! Thanks for this! Pinning your post for future reference.

Reactions: Art VandeIay

{
{
},
{
},
{
}
]
},
"ModelS/X"
]

View attachment 727622

So the beta request is gone because you didn’t opt in?
But looks like those that opt out don’t get another update and still have the request button…

Reactions: gaspi101
So, if you have all the new cameras & your car’s configuration has been updated, why don’t you opt in to see if you get FSD Beta?

So the beta request is gone because you didn’t opt in?

That's exactly it!
I no longer have access to the request button, it's long gone.

It never occurred to me when I rejected the opportunity to try FSD, that Musk would play the bait and switch technique again, but now with the camera hardware.

I decided to change the cameras in my Model S because I wanted a better image quality (in regards to color) for my Dashcam/Sentry videos, that was it. If the camera swap also brought AP improvements, those were an unintended plus.

Thanks to the people with RCCC camera vehicles, which also had 100 and 99 scores but no FSD in sight who kept pushing Elon on Twitter, he then "casually" mentioned the camera issue. But the code preventing those people from testing the FSD they paid for, was probably there since the first FSD beta release. I'm guessing Tesla didn't want to further upset early FSD buyers, so they kept quiet and let RCCC vehicle drivers to join the Safety Score™ game knowing very well the game was rigged from the beginning.

But as with all things Tesla, now that the cat is out of the bag, things got even worse than if they would just mentioned the FREE camera upgrade needed for this particular portion of the fleet. They had enough time to source all the cameras needed for this swap and ship them to all the Service Centers, prepare the emails to affected owners, and then release the FSD beta request button.

That's exactly it!

It never occurred to me when I rejected the opportunity to try FSD, that Musk would play the bait and switch technique again, but now with the camera hardware.

I decided to change the cameras in my Model S because I wanted a better image quality (in regards to color) for my Dashcam/Sentry videos, that was it. If the camera swap also brought AP improvements, those were an unintended plus.

Thanks to the people with RCCC camera vehicles, which also had 100 and 99 scores but no FSD in sight who kept pushing Elon on Twitter, he then "casually" mentioned the camera issue. But the code preventing those people from testing the FSD they paid for, was probably there since the first FSD beta release. I'm guessing Tesla didn't want to further upset early FSD buyers, so they kept quiet and let RCCC vehicle drivers to join the Safety Score™ game knowing very well the game was rigged from the beginning.

But as with all things Tesla, now that the cat is out of the bag, things got even worse than if they would just mentioned the FREE camera upgrade needed for this particular portion of the fleet. They had enough time to source all the cameras needed for this swap and ship them to all the Service Centers, prepare the emails to affected owners, and then release the FSD beta request button.

Just confirmed the "free upgrade"

Screenshot_20211031-103341_Tesla.jpg

That's exactly it!

What software version are you running?

That's exactly it!

Hmmm... I wonder if opting out of beta request, would eventually trigger a software update and the loss of "the button"
Right now people are opting out/in to restart the safety score from scratch...