Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki FSD’s Earliest Adopters Still Waiting

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Got the cameras updates after 9 months and working on safety score (from 93 to 97), what are my next steps to get FSD beta. Any configs I need to check? When is the next wave of invites expected. I used to frequent this but I’m not abreast on the latest as I had lost hopes of getting cameras upgraded.

Got the cameras updates after 9 months and working on safety score (from 93 to 97), what are my next steps to get FSD beta. Any configs I need to check? When is the next wave of invites expected. I used to frequent this but I’m not abreast on the latest as I had lost hopes of getting cameras upgraded.
There is no "sure answer" other than, once you have the correct cameras, nothing else needs to be done... just keep up the safety score and wait.
I expect the next wave to be added once 10.13 is released and proven to be stable... when that will be, nobody knows...

Current thinking: Not many people are getting the FSD-b at the moment, but the 10.13 release is Any Day Now (Elon time, but really).

One poster reports being told by a Tesla type that the amount of use mattered. Apparently, this is the first time a Tesla type has actually said that.

Said Tesla type also said it mattered where one lives. Which could mean that if one lives in an area where Tesla wants data, wherever the heck that is, one would be more likely to get the package. I got mine about 6 weeks ago and live in Central NJ, which is a relatively congested space, but not as bad as (say) NYC, which is completely over the top.

Finally: At the last Stockholders' meeting, Musk said that Tesla is still on track to have a GA Beta available by the end of the year, that being defined as, "Anybody who wants it can get it."

My guess, and it's only a guess: We'll probably have 10.13 in the next fortnight. Then there'll be a 10 or 15 day period where the scare-the-pants-off-of-people problems are detected (if any) and corrected (if severe enough), at which point Tesla will go for more testers.

How this fits into the Release 11 variant, $DIETY only knows.

I got FSD beta in mid-June. I think in early June they must have relaxed the limits quite a bit, as it was widely reported that many people who had been waiting a long time got in. That may mean that things people post as "known" may have become not-true.

In my case, the safety score tended to run in the 93 to 95 range, held down by one or two forward collision warnings each month, and a steady trickle of turning and braking squawks. I think my turning and braking scores were harmed by the fact that I am generally quite a mild driver. This is bad for those scores, because the denominator uses your "moderate" time, while the numerator is your "too strong" time. So if I and the local aggressive teenager have the exact same amount of "too strong" he'll get a better safety score, as he'll have lots more "moderate" time to water it down.

All that aside, I'm here to doubt that I had anywhere near 100 miles of Navigate on Autopilot in total in the three months I'd been operating with FSD Beta requested, let alone in the last month, last week, or other claimed relevant period. So maybe in mid-June that requirement got relaxed, along with a lower Safetey score being accepted.

But all new recent FSD beta installations are of firmware version 2022.12.3.20, aka Beta 10.12.2, and there is currently only a tiny trickle. Only four new installs reported in the last week in the TeslaFi population of 18,000 reporting vehicles. For comparison, the install rate peaked at 1,216 on June 1, and was still running over 20/day past mid-June.

So whatever the current rules really are, hardly any new cars are being added at the moment. I'd hazard a guess that allowing for rollout, gradual early checking, etc. that people who don't have it now are looking at mid-September as a plausible time to hope to get it.

Reactions: Cyberspeed
That doesn't sound consistent with the experiences of others in this group. As far as I've read in the experiences on this thread, the FSD beta does NOT require changing the gateway config (and in fact, changing the gateway config might break your APU).
You are correct! Went to service and they talked directly to engineers in Palo Alto and we’re told not to update the config as this would cause AP alerts to pop up. What they were still unclear on was why updating the configs to reflect the updated cameras would cause the errors to pop up. But was able to confirm from the engineers that as long as all the cameras are RCCB and the cameras report as RCCB then you’re good to go! So at this point we shall wait for 10.69 to roll out on 08/20 and hope they start taking in new users right after.

I got mine about 6 weeks ago and live in Central NJ

Thanks, I live in North Western NJ and hopefully they need someone from here as this area is sparsely populated.

GA Beta available by the end of the year

Don't think they can call a software GA and also Beta at the same time. Usually it's the alpha build, beta and then GA. But it's Tesla with deep legal pockets now, so who knows what they will do.

Thanks, I live in North Western NJ and hopefully they need someone from here as this area is sparsely populated.

Don't think they can call a software GA and also Beta at the same time. Usually it's the alpha build, beta and then GA. But it's Tesla with deep legal pockets now, so who knows what they will do.
Elon's words were, "We're on track to releasing a Beta by the end of the year that, if anybody wants it, they can get it."

Dunno if that's Beta as in, "Everything we do with TACC/Lanekeeping/regular FSD/what-have-you is all Beta, so this one joins the collection." or if it's Beta as in the 10.12.2 that we those of us who've got it know that it's Beta, and in the real sense, as in, "scare the passengers and your pants off on a periodic but random basis - so don't you dare take your eyes off the road". I mean, the current beta's release notes say something like (and I'm quoting) 'The car will do the wrong thing at the wrong time'. And they're right, too.

The first one is more-or-less the GA release, if true. The second is a version of the beta that still has bugs in it, but not risk-your-life kinds of bugs, and when you drive it you gotta really Pay Attention.

Which, who knows? We'll find out when we get there.

I was able to confirm with the service technician that all the cameras report as RCCB BUT the config gateway still reports the car as RCCC. So the service technician will take in the car tomorrow and upload the new config to the car. The FSD beta servers only release to vehicles that report RCCB in the config gateway, it does not check to make sure each camera is RCCB. Although the vehicle should automatically update the config with the new RCCB camera type but it does not always (in my case). So to those who have the RCCB camera upgrade, check with the service center that your config is also updated to reflect RCCB and not just the cameras reporting as RCCB. Will update on this after me appointment visit tmo!
Thanks for the info. I will reach out to my service center.

I finally got my cameras upgraded on 2017 Model S without invite after 6 unsuccessful appointments in as many months. These were the parts installed, but I still see very little difference in dashcam footage from compared to old cameras from all 5 replaced cams.

Do I have the right parts? How do I confirm?

View attachment 833917

View attachment 833918

I finally got them to update my parts and it pretty much matches what you have. The only question I have is what is the following part number listed next to your triple cam supposed to be for?:

SCR,M3X10,BTN HD,ZI, TORX(1011417-00-B) - Quantity 2.

Also did you get into FSD Beta after your camera upgrade?

I noticed this ancient thread following 2016-17 Model S and X “early” owners and FSD Beta is still active. It was very helpful during my waiting period, especially re the screwed up camera upgrades that included the wrong triple camera!

Is this thread now being used by anyone awaiting the Beta? It appears most of the recent posts are new Model 3 or Y owners.

Last edited:
I noticed this ancient thread following 2016-17 Model S and X “early” owners and FSD Beta is still active. Is thread now being used by anyone awaiting the Beta. It appears most of the recent posts are Model 3 or Y owners.
I generally see legacy S/X owners trying to arrange their RCCB upgrade and having to fight service for the correct parts/config in this thread. Haven’t noticed any 3/Y owners personally. I myself am a legacy X subscriber trying to push them to install RCCB cams to be eligible for FSD Beta but they just respond with a generic copy paste response. I’ll probably cancel the subscription and wait closer to end of year with a wider rollout or something to see if they’ll let me upgrade my cameras, or at the very least offer an upgrade path that’s paid. It sucks there’s no path unless you get that invite but it seems like it won’t happen after a year of paying the sub since you’ll likely need to own it. Some data points show otherwise so I’m still a little optimistic because it’s such a silly thing to be held out on.

Reactions: pilotSteve
I generally see legacy S/X owners trying to arrange their RCCB upgrade and having to fight service for the correct parts/config in this thread. Haven’t noticed any 3/Y owners personally. I myself am a legacy X subscriber trying to push them to install RCCB cams to be eligible for FSD Beta but they just respond with a generic copy paste response. I’ll probably cancel the subscription and wait closer to end of year with a wider rollout or something to see if they’ll let me upgrade my cameras, or at the very least offer an upgrade path that’s paid. It sucks there’s no path unless you get that invite but it seems like it won’t happen after a year of paying the sub since you’ll likely need to own it. Some data points show otherwise so I’m still a little optimistic because it’s such a silly thing to be held out on.
I got invite after 8 attempts of scheduling appointments b/w 3 SCs in the area over 8 months