Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD 11.4.4 wide release??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I just got the update notification for this one. 2023.7.20. I’m just really surprised Tesla went wide release on this one so fast. I usually see it go out to the beta testers first then all the YouTubers. Then a week or two later I would get it. Maybe it’s because I’ve been playing around with FSD a little bit more lately….

11.4.3 was the worst version I've used so far, due to how many times the car would suddenly decide to jump into a turn lane when it needed to simply continue on straight on 4-lane highways (which I drive on all the time). I had experienced this several times with previous versions, but it was fairly rare. With 11.4.3, it happens multiple times every drive, making the system almost unusable for me.

11.3.6 was by far the best update I've used. It even passed the "wife test!" My wife was finally comfortable enough to let me use FSDb while she was driving with me under that person.

Hope 11.4.4 corrects this major problem with lane selection!

11.4.3 was the worst version I've used so far, due to how many times the car would suddenly decide to jump into a turn lane when it needed to simply continue on straight on 4-lane highways (which I drive on all the time). I had experienced this several times with previous versions, but it was fairly rare. With 11.4.3, it happens multiple times every drive, making the system almost unusable for me.

11.3.6 was by far the best update I've used. It even passed the "wife test!" My wife was finally comfortable enough to let me use FSDb while she was driving with me under that person.

Hope 11.4.4 corrects this major problem with lane selection!
Agreed about 11.3.6 being the best. I just got 11.4.4 and the steering seems a bit jerky., but idk yet.

First drive with 11.4.4. Went a bit better than my experiences with 11.4.3. Drive was 17 miles each way, and I had 3 critical interventions, all for the same basic reason - the car suddenly swerved into a turning lane while zipping along at 60 mph when it should have simply continued on straight. This is the major problem I had with 11.4.3 (but to a much worse extent). So I saw some improvement in this area, but not enough (and this was very rare under 11.3.6).

On the plus side, 11.4.4 definitely seemed more confident in it's decisions overall, with less cautious/more human-like turns. My drive tonight was fairly easy, with light traffic mostly on a 4-lane highway. I did go through a residential neighborhood with several stops and turns, and the car seemed to handle that situation very well and with more confidence than I've seen in the past. I had a couple of unprotected lefts that it handled just fine also (though traffic was pretty light).

It did start slowing down really late for red lights on the highway, to the point were I nearly had to initiate braking myself for fear it would run the red lights. I wish Tesla Vision could look a bit further ahead on the highway to see a red light coming up so the braking can be more gradual and human-like, but it was pretty hard braking in a few instances on the highway tonight.

Overall, I'd say some solid improvements over 11.4.3, and I'm glad I am rid of that version!

11.4.4 is a good step forward for me. i got it 2 days ago, first day it was a bit strange, then yesterday and today it was really great. no critical disengagements. there's one place where it wants to go into the bike lane, but it started doing that in 11.4.3 already.

Reactions: unk45
11.4.4 still likes to enter turn lanes. 11.4.X has been a major regression compared to 11.3.X
The last time I drove with 11.3.6 was between Elgin and Taylor, Texas along Hwy 95
It was OK, but nothing special. When the road went from one to two lanes (on our side), it would take the left lane then do a sharp lurch to the right.
On the reduction from two to one it would get confused until the last minute before correctly centering.
I drove that same road on Monday and it was without issue, with natural handling of the lane transitions, no PB, proper speed control.
For me 11.4.2 was a big step up from 11.3.6
On Wednesday it navigated through my neighborhood for the very first time without intervention, even getting through a construction zone with a brand new traffic light on flashing red and a brand new two into one lane reduction.
Tomorrow I'll be trying 11.4.4 with my local torture test. So far no FSD has completed it without error.

• Informative
Reactions: JB47394
It's so close to what?
JB47394 said it, without disengagements or intervention. I see so many other videos of FSDb getting people the whole way to their destination, it’s not particularly graceful is some spots, but it gets them there and the mistakes aren’t enough to cause them to take the wheel or put them at risk of an accident. 4.4 was the best as far as I felt very comfortable in places I was nervous before, and it looked like it might do a perfect run for me but my two issue spots (going over the white line into the shoulder to make a right turn and pulling way to far to the left to make a left turn) got noticeably worse. It did finally take the left fork in the road, but instead of cutting too close to the grass, it went the complete opposite way and went to the wrong side of an unmarked road. If those three things didn’t occur I would have had my first drive 100% FSDb.

• Informative
Reactions: jeewee3000
JB47394 said it, without disengagements or intervention. I see so many other videos of FSDb getting people the whole way to their destination, it’s not particularly graceful is some spots, but it gets them there and the mistakes aren’t enough to cause them to take the wheel or put them at risk of an accident. 4.4 was the best as far as I felt very comfortable in places I was nervous before, and it looked like it might do a perfect run for me but my two issue spots (going over the white line into the shoulder to make a right turn and pulling way to far to the left to make a left turn) got noticeably worse. It did finally take the left fork in the road, but instead of cutting too close to the grass, it went the complete opposite way and went to the wrong side of an unmarked road. If those three things didn’t occur I would have had my first drive 100% FSDb.
Thanks, keep us posted.

I bought FSD in Europe (2023 Model Y, no USS) and cannot wait to try out FSDbeta whenever it launches in the EU.

It really is a bummer we can't test it currently, seeing the progress first hand, but I console myself with the knowledge that my first FSDbeta drives shall immediately be of a very high level.

That'll help build trust with my wife using it :)

First drive with 11.4.4. Maybe a bit better in turning on residential streets, but that's about it.

The problems that I'm waiting to see fixed:

1. Aggressive slowing due to stopped cars waiting to turn onto my side of the road from a median. I think FSDb would stop, but I push through and don't look at the screen to see what it's trying to do. Unsurprisingly, this doesn't happen at controlled intersections.
2. Significant slowing for a crosswalk in a dedicated turn lane at a large intersection. As above, I push through before I find out whether it will stop.
3. Not moving out of the left lane on a highway (61 in a 55 zone), even when cars are passing to my right and I have a right exit coming up in a mile or so. I was on Chill with Minimal Lane Changes turned off.
4. Swerving instead of simply changing lanes when moving into an exit lane immediately after a controlled intersection. It's a pretty unusual configuration.
5. Unnecessary signaling.
6. A spurious speed change from 50 to 25. A map data problem.

First drive with 11.4.4. Maybe a bit better in turning on residential streets, but that's about it.

The problems that I'm waiting to see fixed:

1. Aggressive slowing due to stopped cars waiting to turn onto my side of the road from a median. I think FSDb would stop, but I push through and don't look at the screen to see what it's trying to do. Unsurprisingly, this doesn't happen at controlled intersections.
2. Significant slowing for a crosswalk in a dedicated turn lane at a large intersection. As above, I push through before I find out whether it will stop.
3. Not moving out of the left lane on a highway (61 in a 55 zone), even when cars are passing to my right and I have a right exit coming up in a mile or so. I was on Chill with Minimal Lane Changes turned off.
4. Swerving instead of simply changing lanes when moving into an exit lane immediately after a controlled intersection. It's a pretty unusual configuration.
5. Unnecessary signaling.
6. A spurious speed change from 50 to 25. A map data problem.
V11 has been bad since 11.3 in regards to lane changes.

I'm not sure why Tesla can't figure it out. I know Elon said they are navigating more on vision than map data or he wanted to move to that direction, but it's not good.

Tesla has programmed FSD Beta to be in the "fast" lane when going over the speed limit. Having such a hard rule doesn't work in the real world.

V11 has been bad since 11.3 in regards to lane changes.

I'm not sure why Tesla can't figure it out. I know Elon said they are navigating more on vision than map data or he wanted to move to that direction, but it's not good.

Tesla has programmed FSD Beta to be in the "fast" lane when going over the speed limit. Having such a hard rule doesn't work in the real world.
Should maybe consider the “speed limit” the percentage over / speed that max is set to instead of the physical sign, then a vehicle traveling slower than our set speed would trigger the pass.

The appeal of navigating by vision should be obvious - it scales pretty much instantly. Just make sure the software has been trained on the appropriate rules and you're good to go on any road. That would certainly eliminate that false speed limit change I see. I'd want map data as an adjunct, providing data that vision doesn't help with, or has difficulty resolving. Speed bumps, pot holes, flooding, construction zones, accidents, etc.
I have to assume that they did that as a temporary stopgap. They probably have some neural net planned for looking at the surrounding traffic flow and figuring out which lane to be in based on that. It's one more judgement call that FSDb needs to make, and each such call requires training.

Just like all previous versions, regressions are commonly caused by hard-coded elements being moved to neural nets, or existing neural nets being phased out or transitioned to new nets. In this case, V11 moved some of the planning functions (which include lane selection) to new neural nets. They start with basic training of this net in simulations, and some employee field testing. Then it gets rolled out very slowly, and training data is used to teach the new net. The more it rolls out, the more training data they get to continue teaching the net.

Remember that we're testing this and providing training data to the nets. Try not to get annoyed too much when "regressions" happen - just understand that it's likely a new net and needs to learn from the fleet to get better.

Reactions: scsmx and JohnB007