Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD after purchase software upgrade now $5000?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I expect we'll see increased price, then a discount period of ordering before xx date before reverts to full new price.
Folks will only upgrade when they see FSD features being released, and will be incentivised to jump onboard by the discount period.

That would be the reasonable way to manage it, keep faith with existing owners, and best way for Tesla to maximize revenue imho

(It will also give Tesla another revenue stream for CPOs as they can just switch on the FSD at no cost to themselves - the joys of software)

Reactions: Enginerd
2017 MX, showing 5K. IMHO this is pretty bullshit because when we bought it clearly said that it would be 4k after delivery, so they shouldn't be changing it after the fact. I also don;t buy into the fact that we need to pay for hardware upgrades for FSD because when we bought the car the literature clearly said that it already came with full self driving hardware

2017 MX, showing 5K. IMHO this is pretty bullshit because when we bought it clearly said that it would be 4k after delivery, so they shouldn't be changing it after the fact. I also don;t buy into the fact that we need to pay for hardware upgrades for FSD because when we bought the car the literature clearly said that it already came with full self driving hardware
You might not need HW upgrades for all FSD features, but if you do at some point, that's part of what the FSD cost covers. As for raising the price being BS, it is if there was a contract of some sort stating Tesla wouldn't raise the upgrade price on you. Without that, it's just another case of you snooze you lose (you snost you lost?).

Reactions: ℬête Noire
You might not need HW upgrades for all FSD features, but if you do at some point, that's part of what the FSD cost covers. As for raising the price being BS, it is if there was a contract of some sort stating Tesla wouldn't raise the upgrade price on you. Without that, it's just another case of you snooze you lose (you snost you lost?).
Would it be legally binding if it said upgrade cost will be 4k after purchase without an asterisk (asking all the lawyers on TMC, don;t know the answer) because isn;t that how it was in the ordering process?

Would it be legally binding if it said upgrade cost will be 4k after purchase without an asterisk (asking all the lawyers on TMC, don;t know the answer) because isn;t that how it was in the ordering process?
I'm not a lawyer, but it could be binding if the language Tesla used would be interpreted by your average reasonable person as meaning that $3k for the upgrade would be offered indefinitely. If there's something in a contract somewhere that says you will at most have to pay $3k for FSD, then that's unambiguous.

Even if your account said something like "Upgrade to FSD at any time for $3k.", then you might have something, although at any time might also mean instantaneously, so that's ambiguous. If there was no language referring to how long you would be able to pay $3k for the upgrade, I think you're out of luck. In that case I think it's the same as Tesla raising/decreasing the price of a wheel package or anything else they sell.

I’m leaving the option off and will ask them to add it if they can deliver BEFORE the full tax credit goes away. I got invited to configure 4/20, configured RWD 6/7. Updated to AWD at 6:30 last night. I don’t know where that puts me
Delivery in 2018, likely full tax credit. If you've already configured then you're likely safe.

This tells us two things.

First, it may imply that FSD will be rolling out soon. I have to be honest that FSD is part of the reasons why I pulled the trigger on my Model S. Tesla must be confident about FSD now and maybe what Elon said that it is promising might not be exaggeration.

Second, Tesla really needs to squeeze cash out of customers or scare the buyers that if they don't buy now, they will regret with 2k more cost.

Personally, this is not a good move by Tesla because it "kinda" promised back in 2016 that FSD would be ready by December 2016, but it is not still out there. They kept delaying. Even Elon at one point tweeted "maybe in 3 months, 6 months definitely" They really should provide same 3K for all customers who already bought for the certain time period and then raise it up.

Given that EAP is $5k, I think it’s unrealistic to expect that true FSD is $3k is when it truly is L4/L5 autonomy.

I think the $3k and even the current $4k pricing are more for early adopters who have to sit through all of this reduced functionality while the software is ready.

I think this is the first of the price hikes and it will likely go up more once FSD gets more functionality.

This tells us two things.
First, it may imply that FSD will be rolling out soon. I have to be honest that FSD is part of the reasons why I pulled the trigger on my Model S. Tesla must be confident about FSD now and maybe what Elon said that it is promising might not be exaggeration.

Opposite of that, I think. The economics of the bigger gap says longer wait and/or higher risk. Simple risk-reward math.

I think the $3k and even the current $4k pricing are more for early adopters who have to sit through all of this reduced functionality while the software is ready.

This. I mean maybe the feature that is added in August will blow me away but for $3K it's going to need to be really compelling to me to buy it.

• Disagree
Reactions: outdoors and JeffK
Maybe FSD needs MCU2. Since M3 already got MCU2, it remains at $4000. All the other MCU1 MS/MX with AP2.5 needs upgrade to MCU2, therefore the extra $1000! :p

I actually kind of happy that they changed the price retroactively. Because if they could raise the price, it means they could lower it too. Who knows, maybe 5 years down the road, when FSD is fully developed, they will lower it to $3000 or $2000 for the existing owners.

Reactions: GSP
Maybe FSD needs MCU2. Since M3 already got MCU2, it remains at $4000. All the other MCU1 MS/MX with AP2.5 needs upgrade to MCU2, therefore the extra $1000! :p

I actually kind of happy that they changed the price retroactively. Because if they could raise the price, it means they could lower it too. Who knows, maybe 5 years down the road, when FSD is fully developed, they will lower it to $3000 or $2000 for the existing owners.
But if FSD needs MCU2, that means that the statement that all tesla cars come with full self driving hardware is false and therefore they should give that upgrade for free

How do we go about adding it after the fact anyway? I can't seem to find the option in my Tesla account?
It should appear on your My Tesla page for your vehicle(s). Sometimes options disappear when they are tweaking things but then they show back up later.

For me, it shows up between the Support and Contact sections:
upload_2018-6-27_9-21-58.png

I think this will come down to "How long are you planning to keep your car, and how much of the 'self-driving' do you believe will be deployed in that window...and does that use-case matter to you?" Let's say Tesla does start rolling out some FSD features this year. The closest comparison we have is the AP rollout. It FINALLY gets activated and then we get updates over the next year as we wait for it to not be mediocre. Even after that, additional updates make it better, then worse, then better, then worse, etc. Later still someone posts "hey, the hardware changed and there are 57 cameras on the new cars!" and we start hearing about FSD 3.0 cars <insert buyer's remorse here>.

On top of all that, we don't really know the use-case for FSD. I suspect the initial extra features will be ultra-restrictive or novelty use cases (one might put "summon" and "auto park" in that category now).

It would kind of stink for it to get "kind of good" at the 5 year mark...right as you go to sell...and then your car still has the old AP 2.5 hardware, etc. so resale isn't as big of a draw as it could be.