Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD Beta 10.11

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Feel your pain, our X got a flat last week inside Washington DC. Roadside said they couldn’t get to us for TWO DAYS! We had it towed in and waited two days for a lucky patch.

I have had multiple flats on my S at the side wall. I’ve gotten to the point I just keep the winter tires on long as possible.

get spares just in case. Did you try tire rack ?
I did, tirerack is 14 days out. Tire on order. I also ordered a Falken tire that is coming Tuesday so I can drive until the Michelin comes in. Will keep Falken as backup

Reactions: bizi
I doubt you‘re in the minority and Tesla used to do that but then they got in trouble with the NTSB. The problem is, even though that’s what everyone does, it’s technically illegal so Tesla’s not allowed to program their computers to drive that way.

They got in trouble because the UI explicitly stated that rolling stops was a thing. If Tesla didn't mention that FSD supports that behavior, I doubt they would have attracted any attention. Just like any errant move FSD makes today, it's not forcing recalls for each of those things. So a car that rolls through a stop sign is seen as a mistake, as much as cutting a corner during a turn is a mistake. In this manner, Tesla could make FSD beta account for more human-like driving and not be seen as flaunting the law. Yes, they still are, but it's all about perception.

Therefore, Tesla should just have the car stop at the intersection where it has the most visibility while not encroaching into other lanes, and not advertise in any way that this is the intended behavior. I have never seen a police trap for stopping beyond a stop sign, so as far as breaking the law goes, this one is as minor as it gets.

Legally, you are required to stop before the stop sign. After that you can proceed without stopping or pull forward to get a better view before proceeding. This is exactly what Tesla is doing. In reality, people just proceed directly to the point they need to to see whether they can proceed or not and then stop or proceed at that point but Tesla is following the letter of the law. No one drives that way, except on their license exam, but that’s what I would expect a FSD algorithm to do, especially during the beta stages.

It’s unlikely that the NTSB will allow anything different - to do otherwise would tacitly be allowing illegal driving, even it’s what everyone does.
Foolishness by NTSB. Tesla needs to change creep so it moves quickly forward otherwise the disengagement rate will remain high but we all know that. I go back to the statement that Tesla brought this upon themselves by allowing rolling Stop signs to 5-7mph frequently especially in California

They got in trouble because the UI explicitly stated that rolling stops was a thing. If Tesla didn't mention that FSD supports that behavior, I doubt they would have attracted any attention. Just like any errant move FSD makes today, it's not forcing recalls for each of those things. So a car that rolls through a stop sign is seen as a mistake, as much as cutting a corner during a turn is a mistake. In this manner, Tesla could make FSD beta account for more human-like driving and not be seen as flaunting the law. Yes, they still are, but it's all about perception.

Therefore, Tesla should just have the car stop at the intersection where it has the most visibility while not encroaching into other lanes, and not advertise in any way that this is the intended behavior. I have never seen a police trap for stopping beyond a stop sign, so as far as breaking the law goes, this one is as minor as it gets.
Ah - but there’s a significant difference between errant behavior and behavior that’s intentional and programmed by design. I agree that had they not announced it the NTSB likely would have said nothing but think back to the VW diesel scandal - once VW got caught they payed big time.

Foolishness by NTSB. Tesla needs to change creep so it moves quickly forward otherwise the disengagement rate will remain high but we all know that. I go back to the statement that Tesla brought this upon themselves by allowing rolling Stop signs to 5-7mph frequently especially in California
Why is the NTSB foolish for requiring FSD to follow the law? What would happen when someone got a ticket for rolling through a stop sign? I can see the class action lawsuit now. If Tesla ever wants to get the FSD software approved they need to follow the rules. Not sure why that’s so difficult to understand.

As far as disengagements go, all you need to do is goose the accelerator a little if you got someone riding your tail. Not that tough.

Reactions: Hbrink and Yelobird
Ah - but there’s a significant difference between errant behavior and behavior that’s intentional and programmed by design. I agree that had they not announced it the NTSB likely would have said nothing but think back to the VW diesel scandal - once VW got caught they payed big time.

Why is the NTSB foolish for requiring FSD to follow the law? What would happen when someone got a ticket for rolling through a stop sign? I can see the class action lawsuit now. If Tesla ever wants to get the FSD software approved they need to follow the rules. Not sure why that’s so difficult to understand.

As far as disengagements go, all you need to do is goose the accelerator a little if you got someone riding your tail. Not that tough.
Because following the law is less safe. Who comes to a complete stop 10-30 feet before the actual intersection when the Stop sign isn't close to the intersection which is the case in many older states? I either disengage and ride up to the edge of the intersection which is technically illegal but much safer then NTSB wants, or ride the accelerator which means FSD is limited. What is the long term goal of FSD if you have to use the accelerator frequently? Eventually I suspect NTSB will make some changes realizing they have forced poor driving.

@sleepdoc- just curious if you're aware of the specific language that requires you to stop at the Stop sign versus stopping where you need to be to make a safe turning decision. Or are we just assuming? The change NTSB required for rolling thru Stop Signs was logical since the car was never stopping. That is not the situation here. Besides I didn't purchase FSD to use the accelerator pedal throughout the drive. Ironic that a 3 way T-intersection without a Stop Sign drives better then 3 way intersections with a Stop Sign and it's legal.

Last edited:
Ironic that a 3 way T-intersection without a Stop Sign drives better then 3 way intersections with a Stop Sign and it's legal.

I assume you've called out this discrepancy via the fsdbeta email?

It is the same with red lights. Was driving today and paying specific attention with the rate of deceleration at a red light. It comes to a stop exactly like a human would for a red light. But a stop sign? It slows to a crawl really early and takes it's time coasting to the stop sign. Then it stops. Then it slowly creeps to the edge of the intersection and stops again. Hesitates, especially if there are no cars around, takes the turn, and then hard-accelerates as if to make up the time.

I also have T intersections without stop signs leaving my neighborhood, and my car pulls up to the intersection faster than if there were a stop sign there.

Because following the law is less safe. Who comes to a complete stop 10-30 feet before the actual intersection when the Stop sign isn't close to the intersection which is the case in many older states? I either disengage and ride up to the edge of the intersection which is technically illegal but much safer then NTSB wants, or ride the accelerator which means FSD is limited. What is the long term goal of FSD if you have to use the accelerator frequently? Eventually I suspect NTSB will make some changes realizing they have forced poor driving.

@sleepdoc- just curious if you're aware of the specific language that requires you to stop at the Stop sign versus stopping where you need to be to make a safe turning decision. Or are we just assuming? The change NTSB required for rolling thru Stop Signs was logical since the car was never stopping. That is not the situation here. Besides I didn't purchase FSD to use the accelerator pedal throughout the drive. Ironic that a 3 way T-intersection without a Stop Sign drives better then 3 way intersections with a Stop Sign and it's legal.
From the Minnesota Driver's Manual:
A stop sign requires that you come to a complete stop. At a stop sign with a marked stop line, you must stop before the line. At a stop sign with a pedestrian crosswalk you must stop before entering the crosswalk. When you have stopped, yield the right-of-way to pedestrians, bicyclists and traffic before proceeding.
If your view of the intersection is obstructed, prepare to stop again for traffic or pedestrians in your path.
You must also come to a complete stop in the following situations:
  • Before entering a road from an alley, a private driveway, a parking lot,
    or a parking ramp. Always stop before crossing an adjoining sidewalk or crosswalk.

Seriously, I get that you're annoyed about FSD making you stop before you normally do, but that's the law, even if people routinely flout it and you really don't have an argument for saying Tesla should deliberately program illegal behavior into the FSD algorithms without the government's blessing.

Yeah i think we're going to be stuck with lots of accelerator pedal interventions for a long while. More so here in New England where the intersection angles and lane markings are pretty terrible, and the driving culture here earns us nicknames like Massholes. Here more than anywhere else I've driven, the letter of the law is rarely complied with and also less enforced. I really don't see a good solution for blending FSD driving with human driving in this area.

I chuckle when I watch Dirty Tesla do all of his FSD testing AT the speed limit. People here will honk and give you the bird as they illegally pass you for driving that slow. But I get it. I learned how to drive in the south, and people are much more patient and tolerant. The intersections and road design is also much better.

Reactions: sleepydoc
Legally, you are required to stop before the stop sign. After that you can proceed without stopping or pull forward to get a better view before proceeding. This is exactly what Tesla is doing. In reality, people just proceed directly to the point they need to to see whether they can proceed or not and then stop or proceed at that point but Tesla is following the letter of the law. No one drives that way, except on their license exam, but that’s what I would expect a FSD algorithm to do, especially during the beta stages.

It’s unlikely that the NTSB will allow anything different - to do otherwise would tacitly be allowing illegal driving, even it’s what everyone does.
To clarify it is NHTSA (which handles recalls) that is requiring this. This has nothing to do with NTSB (which is a completely different organization that can only investigate incidents and offer recommendations, but has no enforcement powers).
About NHTSA | NHTSA
About the NTSB

Sorry I had to point it out given I see journalists make this mistake a lot of times and use them interchangeably, when the actions of either have very different connotations (NHTSA can levy fines, NTSB can't and many times its recommendations are ignored by Tesla).

A stop sign requires that you come to a complete stop. At a stop sign with a marked stop line, you must stop before the line. At a stop sign with a pedestrian crosswalk you must stop before entering the crosswalk. When you have stopped, yield the right-of-way to pedestrians, bicyclists and traffic before proceeding.
If your view of the intersection is obstructed, prepare to stop again for traffic or pedestrians in your path.
You must also come to a complete stop in the following situations:
  • Before entering a road from an alley, a private driveway, a parking lot,
    or a parking ramp. Always stop before crossing an adjoining sidewalk or crosswalk.
So what does the law imply when the stop "LINE" is past the Stop Sign right near the edge of the intersection? Or when the painted word "STOP" is on the road past the Stop Sign near the edge of the intersection? Both are common where I drive. Does FSD have always stop at the sign even though everyone ignores it and I mean everyone?

I realize we'll never agree but just hoping in time the regulators will make changes that make sense.

Here is a typical example with the Stop Sign probably 50 feet from the road and the stop line (highlighted in yellow) much closer to the intersection edge where everyone stops.

Attachments

• Stop Sign Swan Street.png
    Stop Sign Swan Street.png
    195.1 KB · Views: 56
Last edited:
To clarify it is NHTSA (which handles recalls) that is requiring this. This has nothing to do with NTSB (which is a completely different organization that can only investigate incidents and offer recommendations, but has no enforcement powers).
About NHTSA | NHTSA
About the NTSB

Sorry I had to point it out given I see journalists make this mistake a lot of times and use them interchangeably, when the actions of either have very different connotations (NHTSA can levy fines, NTSB can't and many times its recommendations are ignored by Tesla).
Wait… but what about the People’s front of Judea?

My thoughts (Cause I KNOW You Wanna Know) is FSD must drive like people, laws should reflect how people drive. If you wanna speed you just say so in your settings (I am at 115% of the limit, works great in CA). If rolling stops when it's safe are a thing where you are, you ought to be able to set that TOO. Otherwise as stated earlier you get people touching the gas pedal which is technically a disengagement of FSD and should be reported to the DMV as the program gets closer to reality.

PLEASE stop saying 'the car should NEVER be able to be set to do something illegal' as LONG as there is cruise control on this planet

Seriously, I get that you're annoyed about FSD making you stop before you normally do, but that's the law, even if people routinely flout it and you really don't have an argument for saying Tesla should deliberately program illegal behavior into the FSD algorithms without the government's blessing.
Just came back from a drive and approached a Stop Sign set back from the intersection. First time using 10.11.2 and FSD aced it. Drove right past the Stop sign and then crept the last few feet pretty quickly, stopped then proceeded. Perfect and so much better then before. So those that say you have to stop at the Stop sign should reconsider.

Yeah i think we're going to be stuck with lots of accelerator pedal interventions for a long while. More so here in New England where the intersection angles and lane markings are pretty terrible, and the driving culture here earns us nicknames like Massholes. Here more than anywhere else I've driven, the letter of the law is rarely complied with and also less enforced. I really don't see a good solution for blending FSD driving with human driving in this area.

I chuckle when I watch Dirty Tesla do all of his FSD testing AT the speed limit. People here will honk and give you the bird as they illegally pass you for driving that slow. But I get it. I learned how to drive in the south, and people are much more patient and tolerant. The intersections and road design is also much better.
Yeah - I end up doing a lot of accelerator goosing when there are people waiting on me. Most often FSD will handle it fine if you’re willing to wait. In reality, the wait is only a matter of seconds but no one is willing to wait that long. In my mind, this type of intervention (intervening just because it’s not fast enough.) is the least serious.
My thoughts (Cause I KNOW You Wanna Know) is FSD must drive like people, laws should reflect how people drive. If you wanna speed you just say so in your settings (I am at 115% of the limit, works great in CA). If rolling stops when it's safe are a thing where you are, you ought to be able to set that TOO. Otherwise as stated earlier you get people touching the gas pedal which is technically a disengagement of FSD and should be reported to the DMV as the program gets closer to reality.

PLEASE stop saying 'the car should NEVER be able to be set to do something illegal' as LONG as there is cruise control on this planet
What are you talking about? There is no comparison between cruise control and FSD. If you want to use that logic then cars shouldn’t be able to go faster than 80MPH. With cruise control you are actively setting the speed. With FSD, the car is doing everything and you’re saying it should intentionally break the law. I still can’t figure out how/why you think Tesla should so that?

Let me give you a scenario - you approach a stop sign, roll right through, slow down to 2MPH like you usually do and then proceed. You get pulled over and you say ‘well Everyone else does it!’ To which the cop responds - ‘that doesn’t make it legal’ and gives you a ticket. Do you have any case? Absolutely not.

Now you’ve got FSD that’s programmed to do the same thing. You get pulled over and tell the cop “I didn’t do it, the car did!” to which the cop responds “I don’t care - you still broke the law and you’re in charge of the car.” You’re pissed and your lawyer friend files a class action lawsuit against Tesla for knowingly breaking the law. Now Tesla has bad publicity, legal fees and possible settlement costs. Or they can program the car to follow the law and let people press the accelerator.

Reactions: Hbrink
Just came back from a drive and approached a Stop Sign set back from the intersection. First time using 10.11.2 and FSD aced it. Drove right past the Stop sign and then crept the last few feet pretty quickly, stopped then proceeded. Perfect and so much better then before. So those that say you have to stop at the Stop sign should reconsider.
I looked at that intersection on Google Maps and quite honestly it’s awful The stop sign is on the wrong side of the road, the intersection is obscured by the entrance to the cemetery, and there’s no markings on the Road, at least in street view - it looks like they may have added some later on? I thought it was a one way road but then I saw a car turning the opposite way in the photo so it must be a 2 way street. I had a hard time figuring out what you were supposed to do.

Based on everything I saw, my guess is the legal way to approach the intersection is to stop at the line that’s painted on the satellite view, then proceed, but 🤷‍♂️
11.2 is much better with creeping forward. 10.2 would take forever but 11.2 figures things out and proceeds much more quickly.

Last edited:
I looked at that intersection on Google Maps and quite honestly it’s awful The stop sign is on the wrong side of the road, the intersection is obscured by the entrance to the cemetery, and there’s no markings on the Road (at least in street view - it looks like they may have added some later on? I thought it was a one way road but then I saw a car turning the opposite way in the photo so it must be a 2 way street. I had a hard time figuring out what you were supposed to do.

Based on everything I saw, my guess is the legal way to approach the intersection is to stop at the line that’s painted on the satellite view, then proceed, but 🤷‍♂️
11.2 is much better with creeping forward. 10.2 would take forever but 11.2 figures things out and proceeds much more quickly.

For those following along, this is the intersection:

At the time the googlemobile drove by, there was no stop line or "STOP" painting on the road. Just the tacked on stop sign on the left-side telephone pole.

Par for the course. This is why cops rarely enforce the little things here.

FWIW Florida law as it relates to red light cameras doesn’t require a full stop for a right on red if turn is done in careful and prudent manner. It also permits stopping over the white line which is something practically everyone does as we know.

316.0083 Mark Wandall Traffic Safety Program; administration; report.—
(1)(a) For purposes of administering this section, the department, a county, or a municipality may authorize a traffic infraction enforcement officer under s. 316.640 to issue a traffic citation for a violation of s. 316.074(1) or s. 316.075(1)(c)1. A notice of violation and a traffic citation may not be issued for failure to stop at a red light if the driver is making a right-hand turn in a careful and prudent manner at an intersection where right-hand turns are permissible. A notice of violation and a traffic citation may not be issued under this section if the driver of the vehicle came to a complete stop after crossing the stop line and before turning right if permissible at a red light, but failed to stop before crossing over the stop line or other point at which a stop is required. This paragraph does not prohibit a review of information from a traffic infraction detector by an authorized employee or agent of the department, a county, or a municipality before issuance of the traffic citation by the traffic infraction enforcement officer. This paragraph does not prohibit the department, a county, or a municipality from issuing notification as provided in paragraph (b) to the registered owner of the motor vehicle involved in the violation of s. 316.074(1) or s. 316.075(1)(c)1.

• Informative
For those following along, this is the intersection:

At the time the googlemobile drove by, there was no stop line or "STOP" painting on the road. Just the tacked on stop sign on the left-side telephone pole.

Par for the course. This is why cops rarely enforce the little things here.
I can see why - it would be pretty easy for a driver to argue that the intersection wasn’t clearly marked and get A ticket dismissed.

Here’s a better example: - the stop sign (and line) are right before the sidewalk. The proper/legal way is to stop at the stop sign, then creep forwared enough to ensure the coast is clear before making your turn and proceeding. In reality, most people make sure no one is crossing from the sidewalk and come to (almost) a complete stop before proceeding. Just like a student driver, I’d expect Tesla to follow the legal method.
1650825802333.png