Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD Beta 10.11

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looks like a handful more people were upgraded to 10.11 overnight.

This is going going to be a slow rollout.
This rollout is similar to previous versions. The only thing that we aren't alerted to now is when the Tesla employees get an update. They've probably been told to not use either TeslaFi or Teslascope.

Anyway, the rollout consists of employees, then several hundred non-employees and then everyone else (assuming no major bugs are found). The composition of the second group seems to change a bit from one rollout to the next.

Reactions: Sigma4Life
vent/useless post. i need to get this off my chest... :)

so i had my old 3/2020 m3p that had fsd beta from november. it was easy to get into the program then because tesla were releasing it in big waves. i opted in that wed, and on that friday i had enough mileage and score (99 in LA!!!)

i sold that car 2 weeks ago (took advantage of the used car market) and got my 2/2022 m3p fsd car.

i REALLLLLLLLLLLLLY want fsd mainly for the animated visuals, so today i opted into beta.

morning 630 am traffic on the 101 just does not let you get any good score. within 3 minutes of being in stop and go ( even in the HOV!! people just crossing the double yellow so you have to brake, which dings your breaking and unsafe follow right away) , i had a bunch of warnings about getting close and blah blah blah zappa dappa doo--so i gave up and once i go to the office i opted out. i cant drive like a granny in a model 3p indefinitely since there is no concrete date when tesla will open up beta invites again. if it was like the old says back in november, i can tolerate it for a few days...
when i see more people getting invites into the beta ill try then. its such a shame tesla wont allow you to get the beta from your old vin to the new one.. ooh well...
Stop your whining! Try driving a Plaid like that for 2 months. 😂

It would be nice if FSD Beta followed registered Tesla accounts rather than VINs. I still don't have FSD Beta on my S Plaid after taking ownership of it this month. I'm on a granny driving diet to keep my score at 100 for the time being. The tempation to paint the concrete with a few donut runs is difficult. I may as well be be practicing priest.

I plan on trading in my M3 with the current FSD beta once we get our X Plaid, hopefully in early Fall. I will be back to square one once again. At which time, I doubt Elon's promises to open it up to more users will be at that level yet.

Initial push was 230 cars. It’s been 260 today. You have to look at not just what was installed but what’s also pending.
You cannot rely on the initial number since some cars may not have been connected. My point was that after the first push that I saw early yesterday morning (give or take 250) there was no 2nd push of any consequence indicating Tesla was widening the release.

Maybe this explains why Elon's twitter referenced 10.12 instead of 10.11. We assumed he made a faux pas with his tweet, but I notice he never corrected it either. Maybe 10.11 is intended for a silent release and 10.12 will go out to the entire fleet of existing beta users?

Maybe this explains why Elon's twitter referenced 10.12 instead of 10.11. We assumed he made a faux pas with his tweet, but I notice he never corrected it either. Maybe 10.11 is intended for a silent release and 10.12 will go out to the entire fleet of existing beta users?
I am beginning to think this is the case. 10.11 is going out so slowly we could see 10.12 very soon for the rest of the beta fleet. Could be there are still 10.10.2 issues that were not corrected in 10.11. Please get me off of 10.10.2 Tesla! It has been a disaster for me.

But he also said last weekend. So, its more likely 10.12 was an error.

Reactions: FelixORiley
Pure speculation here (and I'll explain what I'm thinking), but let me start with a question.

Is there anyone in the US with a Safety Score of 98 or higher that is also not currently an active FSD Beta tester (you've hit the button, but you aren't in yet) with software newer / higher than 4.5.3 that also has their software update preference set to Advanced?

For example, I have all the above mentioned ..... I've hit the enroll button, have a current SSB of 99.22 for the past month and a 100 over each of the past 8 days, have my software update set to Advanced, but haven't had 4.5.5 or higher roll out to me yet. What I'm speculating is that (and I can only hope I'm right) folks are stuck at 4.5.3 because they will get FSD 10.11 Beta sometime in the coming days and having 4.5.16 would have impacted that.
I'm in the same boat as you. Model S Plaid Purchased 1/12. 99 Beta score waiting for my update. Is there anyone here in the FSD beta testers that purchased their car after 1/12? If yes what model do you have and what state are you from?

TL;DR. Summary?
James provides more details on the first item on the 10.11 release notes and the related tweets from Andrej Karpathy. In essence that they are using a transformer to replace the heuristic code that creates the lane lines from the 'bag of points' and the benefits that this provides in terms of more efficient computation (greater use of the HW3 NN processor rather than HW3 GPU) and improved prediction 'confidence'. There is an explanation of why this is particularly helpful for handling junctions. This seems to be supported by early feedback from beta testers.

If you are a geek there is an interesting discussion of the difference between transformers, RNNs and CNNs.

James believes the tweets from Karpathy point to Tesla using the same (transformer based) approach to generate other 'features' from the bag of points in the future, leading to further improvements in computation efficiency and the confidence levels in the prediction of these features.

This is TL;DR, lots I have missed out, but hope it helps. Definitely worth trying to find the time to listen. Makes me even more frustrated that we are unable to participate in FSD Beta this side of the pond :)

What that tells me is that FSD uses the map and supplements with visual data from the road rather than the other way around. It's kind of concerning - I can see how it might be an easier way to implement FSD but it also means that the car is forever dependent on accurate maps. Since road construction and changes are constant that means the car will ultimately always have failures.
No, the car uses both. There are several new intersections that I drive that are NOT on the maps and beta handles them well.

Reactions: M109Rider
No, the car uses both. There are several new intersections that I drive that are NOT on the maps and beta handles them well.
There is some discussion on this in James video above.

He thinks early on Tesla relied more on maps I.e. map would trump vision but they are now confident enough in perception that they have switched to NN completely in that one instance.

I enjoyed the podcast, but now my mood is now soured. The longer time passes between me having listened to how great 10.11 is and not having it pushed to my car, is a constant reminder of why I'd rather enjoy the update first-hand. There's a sickness in having to keep checking your phone for an update push notification from the Tesla app, that will likely never come soon. It may be worst than realizing that the person you hooked up with the night before has probably ghosted you because they aren't returing your text.

I enjoyed the podcast, but now my mood is now soured. The longer time passes between me having listened to how great 10.11 is and not having it pushed to my car, is a constant reminder of why I'd rather enjoy the update first-hand. There's a sickness in having to keep checking your phone for an update push notification from the Tesla app, that will likely never come soon. It may be worst than realizing that the person you hooked up with the night before has probably ghosted you because they aren't returing your text.
just keep a tab open for teslafi, and refresh it every hour or so, you'll see a big spike of pending installs when the flood gates open. That's what i do 😂