Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD Beta 10.11

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why ramp up 2022.4.5.18 if 2022.8.2 has been out?
I tried to wrack my pea brain about this also and the only lame idea that I had is that there are three firmware teams working in parallel. One team develops the initial major release such as 2022.4. After internal testing and some minor updates, the release is handed off to some kind of tweaking/optimization team. The optimization team may create model and region dependent branches. The first team then goes on to work on the next major release, say 2022.8. This team gets the benefits from the work done by the optimization team. After the optimization team has fiddled with 22.4 for awhile, it is then handed off to the FSD beta team.

If the development is set up this way, there is bound to be multiple active versions.

This makes sense from a development point of view, but you'd think there is another team who manages the deployment process. Ready to go versions get sent and they workout how many cars and which cars and when based on bug tracking, server capacity, etc.. But why hit the "more .4" button instead of the "more .8" button... assuming .8.2 is good, which it seems to be based on the numbers. Holding off on .8.2 does make sense if they don't want to downgrade and are keeping options open for FSD beta deployment, but that's a lot of cars.

I've been keeping an eye on this page over on TeslaFi for the 10.11.1 release. In the past couple hours the number of pending installs jumped from 22 to 37. Read into that what you will, but wondering if there's another push going out.
Pending + installed has been about 320. Now its 334. Definitely a few more people pending now - but difficult to say whether it is an actual new push.

BTW, Omar says, there is a new build in the works.

• Informative
Reactions: FSDtester#1
Why ramp up 2022.4.5.18 if 2022.8.2 has been out?

Theories, all speculative:
- They need a number of cars on a similar build as FSD for A/B comparisons.
- They are queueing them to go to FSD, since software upgrades are much easier than downgrades*.

*It's always easier to upgrade software to newer versions than downgrade, mainly due to saved state. I.e. migrating settings from an older version to newer is easily supported, doing the opposite needs careful forethought about potential future direction. Often times a downgrade may mean losing settings (i.e. reset to factory default). Not all of them, just the ones that are no longer compatible. This would be less of an issue in minor versions, e.g. going from 2022.4.5.18 to say 2022.4.5.16. However would likely be a bigger issue for major version changes, i.e. from 2022.8.2 to 2022.4.5.20.

I've been keeping an eye on this page over on TeslaFi for the 10.11.1 release. In the past couple hours the number of pending installs jumped from 22 to 37. Read into that what you will, but wondering if there's another push going out.
There was another major push. I just got FSD Beta for the first time!!!!!!! Sounds like another push to Canada!

I drove to the university manually, and Tesla pushed the update to my car sitting outside in the parking lot. I will leave the university in a few minutes and let my car drive me home. Can you tell that I am excited? Where else can we experience such magic? Have we really become so blasé that this isn't huge??