Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD Beta 10.11

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The first few times I used 11.2 the lane selection was clearly worse than it was in 10.2. Now it seems to have improved. I’d still say it’s worse than 10.2 but not as bad as it initially was. FWIW, it seems to have the hardest time on 2 lane roads. Larger roads are less of an issue for some reason But overall I agree - lane selection is worse in 11.2

Just now as I was driving home I was turning left from an access road onto a 4 lane divided county road, speed limit 45 MPH. The car stopped at the stop sign, then crept forward just to the point where it would not be in the cross traffic. As soon as the traffic passed the car smoothly and confidently pulled out and made the turn. It was very impressive - I felt like it actually passed the FSD Turing test for a brief instant!

Reactions: Z_Lynx
I'm beginning to wonder if there's something wrong mentally with Elon Musk. His public statements are getting more and more erratic. I used to think it was all just theater, but now I'm not so sure. The Board isn't to remove him as CEO unless he gets much worse. James Murdoch, the most often mentioned CEO replacement isn't going to instill enthusiasm among investors and car owners.
Oh, he's crazy as pencil loop, but so were Steve Jobs and many others who changed things. If you want sane go with Bill Gates, see where that gets you........

Oh, he's crazy as pencil loop, but so were Steve Jobs and many others who changed things. If you want sane go with Bill Gates, see where that gets you........
Ummm, you do know that $1000 in Apple at IPO would get you less than $500,000 today. Same about for Microsoft’s IPO would get you $1,600,000. No comparison between Jobs and Gate’s personalities but hard to argue about the results.

Reactions: PACEMD
Ummm, you do know that $1000 in Apple at IPO would get you less than $500,000 today. Same about for Microsoft’s IPO would get you $1,600,000. No comparison between Jobs and Gate’s personalities but hard to argue about the results.
Fair enough, but my point wasn't about the current economic results which relate more to the hold Microsoft still has in industry/business. I never said Gates was not smart, just not crazy enough to step outside the box, in the same manner, to push things to the extreme. And Jobs didn't give a sh*t about money. Anyway, I wasn't being entirely serious......

Last edited:
The first few times I used 11.2 the lane selection was clearly worse than it was in 10.2. Now it seems to have improved. I’d still say it’s worse than 10.2 but not as bad as it initially was. FWIW, it seems to have the hardest time on 2 lane roads. Larger roads are less of an issue for some reason But overall I agree - lane selection is worse in 11.2

Just now as I was driving home I was turning left from an access road onto a 4 lane divided county road, speed limit 45 MPH. The car stopped at the stop sign, then crept forward just to the point where it would not be in the cross traffic. As soon as the traffic passed the car smoothly and confidently pulled out and made the turn. It was very impressive - I felt like it actually passed the FSD Turing test for a brief instant!
I am probably in the minority but I would prefer that FSD go past the Stop Sign to the edge of the intersection and Stop. Then decide when to initiate the left/right turn. That is what human drivers do. I bring this up again because that is how FSD handles the T-intersections I have without Stop Signs. My first 3 turns out of my neighborhood work exactly this way. Old New England sign system:)

I am probably in the minority but I would prefer that FSD go past the Stop Sign to the edge of the intersection and Stop. Then decide when to initiate the left/right turn. That is what human drivers do. I bring this up again because that is how FSD handles the T-intersections I have without Stop Signs. My first 3 turns out of my neighborhood work exactly this way. Old New England sign system:)
I doubt you‘re in the minority and Tesla used to do that but then they got in trouble with the NTSB. The problem is, even though that’s what everyone does, it’s technically illegal so Tesla’s not allowed to program their computers to drive that way.

You're off a little. Apple's IPO price, split-adjusted, is 10 cents, and the current price is $161.79, so it has increased by a factor of 1,618x. So $1,000 at Apple's IPO would be $1.6 million today, whereas Microsoft's IP price, split-adjusted, was 7.29 cents, so $1,000 invested at Microsoft's IPO (~6 years after Apple's IPO) would be worth $3.4M.

But bear in mind that Microsoft didn't have more than a decade of Pepsi and Commodore execs breaking the company's back.

In January of 1997, when Steve Jobs returned to Apple, Apple's split-adjusted stock price was somewhere around 19 cents. Microsoft's was over ten dollars. And now Microsoft stock is less than 2x Apple's stock price. So in that period, Microsoft stock grew 26x, while Apple stock grew 851x — almost 33x as much.

A little over a week into 11.2:

-turning is definitely better. Still some issues when turning from a marked road to an unmarked road (lane markings), wheel jerks around, some odd behaviors.

-lane choices suck. Waits till the last second, or picks the entirely wrong lane (supposed to turn left, car is in the right lane, then tries correcting at the last second, which I wouldn’t expect a 16yr old high on bath salts and tide pods to do).

-still can’t keep the car centered when going around some curves to the right, hugs the center lane marking, sometimes crosses it. It freaks on coming traffic out. This issue has been there since before the beta, still broken. Curves to the left are fine, car hugs the right lane marking a bit, but that’s how I would drive manually.

-rural unmarked roads with no curbs are still 27-29mph max, car wanders in its “lane”, no real improvement, nor regression. It still sucks on rural unmarked roads.

Like most are saying, some things better than 10.2, some worse.

I doubt you‘re in the minority and Tesla used to do that but then they got in trouble with the NTSB. The problem is, even though that’s what everyone does, it’s technically illegal so Tesla’s not allowed to program their computers to drive that way.
Tesla got in trouble for not stopping and rolling thru Stop signs anywhere from 3-7mph. Tesla then tried to appease the NTSB by reducing the rolling speed to 1-2 mph but by that time it was too late. I'm not suggesting the car never stops just that it stops where driver's stop which is at the edge of the intersection not always at the Sign. You need to do this when the Sign is located too far from the intersection or so far back you cannot view the intersection safely. Hopefully the NTSB would agree this would be safer. As stated earlier this works just fine when the T-intersection has NO Stop Sign. Go to the edge, Stop then decide when to turn.

Reactions: VanFriscia
Tesla got in trouble for not stopping and rolling thru Stop signs anywhere from 3-7mph. Tesla then tried to appease the NTSB by reducing the rolling speed to 1-2 mph but by that time it was too late. I'm not suggesting the car never stops just that it stops where driver's stop which is at the edge of the intersection not always at the Sign. You need to do this when the Sign is located too far from the intersection or so far back you cannot view the intersection safely. Hopefully the NTSB would agree this would be safer. As stated earlier this works just fine when the T-intersection has NO Stop Sign. Go to the edge, Stop then decide when to turn.
There's no rule against stopping at the edge of the intersection. You just need to comply with the stop sign first.

See above - to my knowledge the Ryzen chips are only on the infotainment interface which is a separate computer from the one that controls FSD. I’m sure they’ve updated that computer at some point as well but I don’t know when.

So even things like the FSD visualizations aren’t handled by the infotainment computer. Thinking that 2019 cars can’t handle the visualizations that 2020 cars can’t. I would think that’s not due FSD computer but the infotainment? Are they 100% segregated or is there some back and forth relationship?

So even things like the FSD visualizations aren’t handled by the infotainment computer. Thinking that 2019 cars can’t handle the visualizations that 2020 cars can’t. I would think that’s not due FSD computer but the infotainment? Are they 100% segregated or is there some back and forth relationship?
They have to be connected in some way, right? How would you set drive mode, or the roll/creep. I'd bet it's a really secure link but they're connected regardless.

There's no rule against stopping at the edge of the intersection. You just need to comply with the stop sign first.
Which of course is stupid and unsafe but then nobody said the NTSB was really thinking clearly. It's too bad Tesla initially allowed for rolling stops up to 7 mph at times. If they had always had the rolling stop between 1-2 mph I suspect it would have been ok.
Does anyone know if NTSB actually requires stopping right at the Stop Sign when it's 20 feet from the intersection? Who drives that way?

Last edited:
Yes but how would that relate to single stack?
No one really knows how much of the visualization is done by the FSD computer vs the infotainment system. Remember, the FSD computer doesn’t ’think’ in terms of an image the way we do. I suspect that the FSD computer does its processing and then passes intermediate data to the UI computer that then renders the Image. It would make more sense to do it that way and reserve the processing power of the FSD computer solely to those tasks.

Which of course is stupid and unsafe but then nobody said the NTSB was really thinking clearly. It's too bad Tesla initially allowed for rolling stops up to 7 mph at times. If they had always had the rolling stop between 1-2 mph I suspect it would have been ok.
Does anyone know if NTSB actually requires stopping right at the Stop Sign when it's 20 feet from the intersection? Who drives that way?
Legally, you are required to stop before the stop sign. After that you can proceed without stopping or pull forward to get a better view before proceeding. This is exactly what Tesla is doing. In reality, people just proceed directly to the point they need to to see whether they can proceed or not and then stop or proceed at that point but Tesla is following the letter of the law. No one drives that way, except on their license exam, but that’s what I would expect a FSD algorithm to do, especially during the beta stages.

It’s unlikely that the NTSB will allow anything different - to do otherwise would tacitly be allowing illegal driving, even it’s what everyone does.

Reactions: Hbrink
No one really knows how much of the visualization is done by the FSD computer vs the infotainment system. Remember, the FSD computer doesn’t ’think’ in terms of an image the way we do. I suspect that the FSD computer does its processing and then passes intermediate data to the UI computer that then renders the Image. It would make more sense to do it that way and reserve the processing power of the FSD computer solely to those tasks.
Exactly