Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD Beta 10.4 - Take Over Immediately/Cruise Control Unavailable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My apologies if this was discussed elsewhere - there are a lot of threads here, some quite long with a lot of different points of discussion but I haven't quite seen what I'm about to describe.

I got into FSD Beta on the initial rollout. With 10.4 (and ONLY 10.4), I'm experiencing frequent "crashes" of the entire AP system. I don't mean disengagement from a confusing situation, or accidental disengagement from me - I'm talking the red "Take Over Immediately" screen accompanied by the chimes of doom, followed by a message stating that cruise control is unavailable. Sometimes (but not always), the visualizations revert back to non-FSD for a time; however, in every case all of my AP functions are dead for several minutes. No FSD, TACC, autosteer - nothing, it's all unavailable. After several minutes (or curiously, after turning onto a different road, though perhaps that's coincidence), it all comes back. BUT, sometimes when it does come back, the visualizations are strange. My planned path is gone, and I see dotted lines out in the distance that kind of LOOK like my planned path lines, but uh, I sure hope it's not because that would literally drive me off the road and into grass fields. It's WEIRD.

This has happened to me at least five times on 10.4 (I don't use FSD every day so I've no doubt it would be more if I did). It's worth noting that in each case, absolutely nothing strange was going on. Traffic was minimal, weather was normal on 35-45 MPH country roads that are curvy & hilly but otherwise rather boring. There's no prior warning at all - it just hard quits out of the blue.

So, my question is - Is anyone else experiencing this? The first couple times I chalked it up to beta software, but I'm starting to wonder if there's something wrong with my car (2018 M3). If no one else is seeing it I'm going to schedule a service appointment.

Thanks everybody!!

I have experienced that just once, and I got a quick notification that it was due to sun blinding! If that's not your case, press the microphone button and say "bug report - Full Self Driving stopped working". Take note of the time. Then after you're done driving, submit a service request to Tesla, noting that you tagged a bug report at HH:MM. They will be able to read the car's diagnostic data and give you a better explanation than anyone here could guess. Sometimes they'd push you the same firmware again to try and correct it, or escalate to Dev team (which, from my experience, they will close the ticket with "will be resolved in a future release"). Good luck, and let us know if you hear anything interesting!

Reactions: Phlier
I have experienced that just once, and I got a quick notification that it was due to sun blinding! If that's not your case, press the microphone button and say "bug report - Full Self Driving stopped working". Take note of the time. Then after you're done driving, submit a service request to Tesla, noting that you tagged a bug report at HH:MM. They will be able to read the car's diagnostic data and give you a better explanation than anyone here could guess. Sometimes they'd push you the same firmware again to try and correct it, or escalate to Dev team (which, from my experience, they will close the ticket with "will be resolved in a future release"). Good luck, and let us know if you hear anything interesting!
I got that once last week and I also thought it was from the sun. It was about 4:30 on a full sun day and happened right after I had turned a corner putting the sun at a different angle mostly from behind.

Reactions: helvio
My apologies if this was discussed elsewhere - there are a lot of threads here, some quite long with a lot of different points of discussion but I haven't quite seen what I'm about to describe.

I got into FSD Beta on the initial rollout. With 10.4 (and ONLY 10.4), I'm experiencing frequent "crashes" of the entire AP system. I don't mean disengagement from a confusing situation, or accidental disengagement from me - I'm talking the red "Take Over Immediately" screen accompanied by the chimes of doom, followed by a message stating that cruise control is unavailable. Sometimes (but not always), the visualizations revert back to non-FSD for a time; however, in every case all of my AP functions are dead for several minutes. No FSD, TACC, autosteer - nothing, it's all unavailable. After several minutes (or curiously, after turning onto a different road, though perhaps that's coincidence), it all comes back. BUT, sometimes when it does come back, the visualizations are strange. My planned path is gone, and I see dotted lines out in the distance that kind of LOOK like my planned path lines, but uh, I sure hope it's not because that would literally drive me off the road and into grass fields. It's WEIRD.

This has happened to me at least five times on 10.4 (I don't use FSD every day so I've no doubt it would be more if I did). It's worth noting that in each case, absolutely nothing strange was going on. Traffic was minimal, weather was normal on 35-45 MPH country roads that are curvy & hilly but otherwise rather boring. There's no prior warning at all - it just hard quits out of the blue.

So, my question is - Is anyone else experiencing this? The first couple times I chalked it up to beta software, but I'm starting to wonder if there's something wrong with my car (2018 M3). If no one else is seeing it I'm going to schedule a service appointment.

Thanks everybody!!
This exact thing happened to me today on my drive into work. No rhyme or reason but I distinctly got the impression FSD crashed. I do use FSD every day, every drive and had not noticed this to this point.

I get this almost everyday en route to work in my MSLR 2021 Refresh on FSD 10.4, 2021.36.8.6. I have pushed the snapshot camera several times and sent an email to [email protected]. Frequently it is while driving toward the sun in am but this morning it was on a street with to sun at my driver’s side. My current hypothesis is there may be something with seeing the driver (me) in the car since that’s a big part of the beta program - is eye forward and staying alert. I wonder if in certain conditions The AI is failing inside the car?

I didn’t think about putting in a service ticket as it is new with the beta FSD. Let us know what they find for you.

• Informative
Reactions: VanFriscia
July 2018 Model 3, LR RWD. 3.0 computer running FSD Beta 10.4 (pretty sure you have to have 3.0 for FSD Beta)
Yes, I have 8/18 vehicle with same behavior but worse. I am not far from you. Wonder if we got upgraded to FSD 3 computer from the same group of boards.

My experience is that 10.4 awakes from sleep and usually tries twice to get 10.4 to engage but it fails (as you describe) within about a minute. Thereafter AP and TACC are offline for the rest of the drive. I really miss them!

I thought it might be a camera problem but service came and checked cameras and seem ok. I did recalibration but no joy.

Doing bug reports so they get a time stamp to the logs and service is coming back later this month. Seems related to visualization problem right from start.

I had 10.3.1 and it worked fine, 10.4 had immediate problems so there is that.

Next release might clean this up.

• Informative
Reactions: VanFriscia
Yes, I have 8/18 vehicle with same behavior but worse. I am not far from you. Wonder if we got upgraded to FSD 3 computer from the same group of boards.

My experience is that 10.4 awakes from sleep and usually tries twice to get 10.4 to engage but it fails (as you describe) within about a minute. Thereafter AP and TACC are offline for the rest of the drive. I really miss them!

I thought it might be a camera problem but service came and checked cameras and seem ok. I did recalibration but no joy.

Doing bug reports so they get a time stamp to the logs and service is coming back later this month. Seems related to visualization problem right from start.

I had 10.3.1 and it worked fine, 10.4 had immediate problems so there is that.

Next release might clean this up.
Update:

There is some uncertainty but it seems my follow up service appt is scrubbed since this is beta program related. Makes sense. If cameras are not the problem then it is likely to be resolved by SW.

Since others are now reporting similar experience, it is increasingly unlikely to be a HW fix.

FWIW, I'm May 2018 LR RWD, upgraded to HW3 in April 2020. I'm not experiencing this issue. Hope they figure it out for you soon. Please let us know the resolution!
FWIW, on my August 2018 3P, FSD beta 10.5 offered no change. I still get the red steering wheel and take control immediately alarm within a minute or so of invoking the FSD 10.5 beta. I have filed a "bug report". It is as if the steering wheel torque feedback was not getting back to the SW or the cabin camera can't recognize a driver.

I am wondering if all drivers have to complete the beta agreement for it to work. I noted that it seemed to make a camera shutter click sound when accepting one of the agreements. It may be taking a photo of the individual making the agreement at the time of the agreement rather than just registering a browser selection.

I think I will get my other driver to accept the agreement and see if that makes any difference.

My memory is that 10.3.1 just worked as soon as the beta conditions were agreed to and the visualization was obvious right in the garage. Now (10.4 & 10.5) the enhanced visualization only appears when already driving down a public street.

FWIW, on my August 2018 3P, FSD beta 10.5 offered no change. I still get the red steering wheel and take control immediately alarm within a minute or so of invoking the FSD 10.5 beta. I have filed a "bug report". It is as if the steering wheel torque feedback was not getting back to the SW or the cabin camera can't recognize a driver.

I am wondering if all drivers have to complete the beta agreement for it to work. I noted that it seemed to make a camera shutter click sound when accepting one of the agreements. It may be taking a photo of the individual making the agreement at the time of the agreement rather than just registering a browser selection.

I think I will get my other driver to accept the agreement and see if that makes any difference.

My memory is that 10.3.1 just worked as soon as the beta conditions were agreed to and the visualization was obvious right in the garage. Now (10.4 & 10.5) the enhanced visualization only appears when already driving down a public street.
Yep, I too installed the 10.5 update this morning and FSD again crapped out after about two minutes of driving. Exact same circumstances as my original post (although the sun was bright this morning but I'm nearly positive that has nothing to do with it). I took a snapshot and filed another bug report.

One thing I confirmed this time - I initially reported that turning onto a different road (which happened to be off the nav route) brought the system back online. That was absolutely true again today. I wonder if it's some weird bug with navigation??? FSD Beta did curiously change my route to get to work after years of being the same pre-FSD Beta.

Unfortunately, Tesla still hasn't even acknowledged my service center appointment so no word from them yet. I'm going to send them a message with today's incident/bug report and request that they take a look. Incidentally, they used to respond to service requests very quickly with confirmations and estimates. The last couple times, it's been dead silence up until much closer to appointment time. I feel like that kinda sucks, especially for a case like this where I may not actually NEED to go to the SC. Like, do I really need to make arrangements with my job to take a couple hours off, or are you just going to check the logs and cancel? Come on, Tesla...

I'm going to send them a message with today's incident/bug report and request that they take a look.

Yeah I think emailing fsdbeta is the best move. I tend to think there's nothing wrong with your car, so a service center won't be able to do much except try a reflash of the fsd beta firmware. I remember reading somewhere that there's so many unique hardware variations that it's very possible that a small subset of owners will experience bugs that the rest of the fleet won't. Make sure to post your VIN in the email so there's no ambiguity on their end what your hardware config is.

Yeah I think emailing fsdbeta is the best move. I tend to think there's nothing wrong with your car, so a service center won't be able to do much except try a reflash of the fsd beta firmware. I remember reading somewhere that there's so many unique hardware variations that it's very possible that a small subset of owners will experience bugs that the rest of the fleet won't. Make sure to post your VIN in the email so there's no ambiguity on their end what your hardware config is.
I think that you're probably right, but I did both anyways (emailed FSD Beta & updated the SC appointment). At least with the SC I know I'll get a response eventually. I have no clue what kind of volume Tesla gets via the beta emails but that's a one-way line of communication. Even if the SC can't do anything about it, if it's a known issue to them maybe they can make sure someone at Tesla actually takes notice for the next release.

Reactions: nvx1977
I think that you're probably right, but I did both anyways (emailed FSD Beta & updated the SC appointment). At least with the SC I know I'll get a response eventually. I have no clue what kind of volume Tesla gets via the beta emails but that's a one-way line of communication. Even if the SC can't do anything about it, if it's a known issue to them maybe they can make sure someone at Tesla actually takes notice for the next release.
It may be that your SC appt will get scrubbed. After a few wasted hours of fiddling with everything I can imagine, I am inclined to think it is a configuration or parameter bounds issue in the SW.

It may be fixed with an FSD computer replacement or a SW fix. Odds are the SW team is pushing this to the field to fix but the field has no boards so it is a standoff.

SW has to be struggling to keep this present pace so I think they will win over field service.

I think I will try to place a request for a TACC fix. Whatever fixes that will likely fix it all.

Well, I canceled my SC appointment. It was to be 24 hours from now but they never even confirmed the appointment, let alone responded in any way. I'm not going to take off work to drive down there and likely be told that it's a software problem. I swear, they used to be much faster with their service communications so I'm not sure what the deal is lately. Pretty disappointing.

But, AP on the highway has been working just fine and the freakout disengagements only occur on my route to work, so I'm really inclined to think it's a software bug. Hopefully Tesla is actually reading the feedback emails we send!

Well, I canceled my SC appointment. It was to be 24 hours from now but they never even confirmed the appointment, let alone responded in any way. I'm not going to take off work to drive down there and likely be told that it's a software problem. I swear, they used to be much faster with their service communications so I'm not sure what the deal is lately. Pretty disappointing.

But, AP on the highway has been working just fine and the freakout disengagements only occur on my route to work, so I'm really inclined to think it's a software bug. Hopefully Tesla is actually reading the feedback emails we send!
I saw a post this morning with similar issues also in PA. Magnetic.

Wish I could get AP to work, good for you.

I try new things daily and nothing makes any difference. So I wait until the 14th. Perhaps 10.6 will come out sooner <sigh>.