Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD Beta 10.4 - Take Over Immediately/Cruise Control Unavailable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I saw a post this morning with similar issues also in PA. Magnetic.

Wish I could get AP to work, good for you.

I try new things daily and nothing makes any difference. So I wait until the 14th. Perhaps 10.6 will come out sooner <sigh>.
I have been more closely trying to define the limited visualization I am getting.

When 10.5 falls over, some visualization remains. It still renders road lane lines (in light grey), lane arrows, speed bumps, traffic lights, speed limit signs, cones & trash cans.

It does not render any vehicles and there is no tentacle.

The duration of time 10.5 is functional seems to occasionally reach 2 minutes which is a small change.

Today after lest than 2 weeks of owning new 2021 model S LR it's all started with me ((
autopilot works few hundred feet/maybe mile or so and then red yoke warning "take control" and that's it.... than again second time and all features disappearing for a while or until long stop. Very unpredictable and disappointing. But no phantom braking, just warning...

Did service appointment on Dec14th, but will chat to them tomorrow again .

May be I should recalibrate cameras somehow? or reset the car special way? or ask them to reinstall current firmware by the air?

Today after lest than 2 weeks of owning new 2021 model S LR it's all started with me ((
autopilot works few hundred feet/maybe mile or so and then red yoke warning "take control" and that's it.... than again second time and all features disappearing for a while or until long stop. Very unpredictable and disappointing. But no phantom braking, just warning...

Did service appointment on Dec14th, but will chat to them tomorrow again .

May be I should recalibrate cameras somehow? or reset the car special way? or ask them to reinstall current firmware by the air?

I also figured out that if you turn off lane change confirmation autopilot stop work immediately :(
(im still with 92 safety score to get FSD)
Interesting...so you're seeing the same behavior, but you're NOT in FSD beta. So you're essentially using autosteer on city streets? Or was this on a highway?

I'm still waiting on 10.6 but I'm not hopeful that this is going to be fixed. I think it's some kind of map/navigation error. There's something about this one particular stretch of a certain road that FSD/AP hates.

Interesting...so you're seeing the same behavior, but you're NOT in FSD beta. So you're essentially using autosteer on city streets? Or was this on a highway?

I'm still waiting on 10.6 but I'm not hopeful that this is going to be fixed. I think it's some kind of map/navigation error. There's something about this one particular stretch of a certain road that FSD/AP hates.
Also still waiting on 10.6. Seems to have very slight improvements in duration. There have been some comments indicating camera problems with some vehicles that might involve repairs. Not seen any comments connecting faulty cameras to FSD difficulties but seems plausible.

All day was playing with this malfunction, we started from pushing reinstall current firmware and endup with support chat and service appointment for tomorrow. local Tesla service told me this happens because front radar have to be recalibrated (in service center only) or replaced. Tomorrow will be updates.

for now it could work for few miles then red warning and no more.... then alive again, so anyway this is wrong

FSD Beta 10.5 stopped working for me recently on M3LR. At first, recalibrating the cameras seemed to fix it, but it finally got to where that would not work. Sometimes the calibration would not finish in a reasonable timeframe. I tried the two button restart, two button restart with brake pedal depressed and Power Off for 15 minutes, all to no avail.

What did work was something I read in this forum. First, turn off all autopilot and FSD Beta functions in the Autopilot menu. Then, perform a two-button restart of the MCU. Finally, reactivate Autopilot and FSD Beta. My problem cleared up and has been working for several days (fingers crossed).

• Informative
Reactions: VanFriscia
All day was playing with this malfunction, we started from pushing reinstall current firmware and endup with support chat and service appointment for tomorrow. local Tesla service told me this happens because front radar have to be recalibrated (in service center only) or replaced. Tomorrow will be updates.
Hmm, interesting, although I think we're probably talking about two separate situations (again, assuming that you're not in the FSD beta program). I actually had an issue with my front radar and it was replaced earlier this year, but now that I'm in the beta it should no longer be in use (because the beta is 100% vision-only). UNLESS there's some sort of weird error in the code that doesn't fully account for radar-equipped cars, even when said radar isn't being used...???

I managed to get 2 blocks of 10.5 beta driving this morning. Then got the red steering wheel alarm and take over message as is usual. This is more distance and duration so something good. I did a bug report when it failed.

Still not gotten 10.6.?. Now only 4 days from going Into the shop.🙂

One other weird thing today was that TACC functioned briefly even though FSD visualization had failed. Strange days…

• Informative
I managed to get 2 blocks of 10.5 beta driving this morning. Then got the red steering wheel alarm and take over message as is usual. This is more distance and duration so something good. I did a bug report when it failed.

Still not gotten 10.6.?. Now only 4 days from going Into the shop.🙂

One other weird thing today was that TACC functioned briefly even though FSD visualization had failed. Strange days…
Excited to get 10.6.1 tonight. I will try it again tomorrow but tonight it was no different. Sent feedback to the mothership and next step will the shop visit this week.

• Informative
Follow up: service says it is a HW problem. Parts on order, service pushed out.
I'm glad to hear your SC got back to you, unlike mine! What part did they order?

Interestingly, I tried FSD on my morning commute today for the first time in a while and it didn't bug out. That's the first time that's happened in a long time on this particular road. Still on 10.5. It's all so inconsistent.

Anyways, depending on your results, maybe I should schedule another SC appointment. We'll see.

I'm glad to hear your SC got back to you, unlike mine! What part did they order?

Interestingly, I tried FSD on my morning commute today for the first time in a while and it didn't bug out. That's the first time that's happened in a long time on this particular road. Still on 10.5. It's all so inconsistent.

Anyways, depending on your results, maybe I should schedule another SC appointment. We'll see.
Since you ask, I will cautiously comment that it was a rushed call and I asked if it was the FSD computer. This may not be a proper description and he may have misunderstood me. He did say yes.

I believe early model 3s like mine have resistive heating. There could be many possibilities but some of my symptoms might suggest a processing issue possibly related to sagging voltage or thermal events resulting in processing stepping down the clock speed as a protection resulting in a cascade of timing exceptions. Who knows. It still displays cones, trash cans and speed limit signs with great gusto.

• Informative
Since you ask, I will cautiously comment that it was a rushed call and I asked if it was the FSD computer. This may not be a proper description and he may have misunderstood me. He did say yes.

I believe early model 3s like mine have resistive heating. There could be many possibilities but some of my symptoms might suggest a processing issue possibly related to sagging voltage or thermal events resulting in processing stepping down the clock speed as a protection resulting in a cascade of timing exceptions. Who knows. It still displays cones, trash cans and speed limit signs with great gusto.
Not sure if I’m understanding you correctly, but just in case I wanted to note that we are also an earlier Model 3 (spring 2018), HW3 upgraded spring 2020, but have only experienced this FSD crapping out issue two maybe three times total (hard to tell sometimes when FSD abets visualizations sometimes takes a little time to appear when first getting in the car and driving. I’m utilizing FSD beta most every time I drive without issue.

Not sure if I’m understanding you correctly, but just in case I wanted to note that we are also an earlier Model 3 (spring 2018), HW3 upgraded spring 2020, but have only experienced this FSD crapping out issue two maybe three times total (hard to tell sometimes when FSD abets visualizations sometimes takes a little time to appear when first getting in the car and driving. I’m utilizing FSD beta most every time I drive without issue.
This behavior started with 10.4. Also at that time my local weather turned cold. Climate control turned from cooling to heat. This temp change is likely unrelated but hard to remove as a contributor. I do know turning off climate control does not correct the behavior.

Lots of variables and clearly my situation is rare.

This behavior started with 10.4. Also at that time my local weather turned cold. Climate control turned from cooling to heat. This temp change is likely unrelated but hard to remove as a contributor. I do know turning off climate control does not correct the behavior.

Lots of variables and clearly my situation is rare.
I'm still on 10.5, which initially crapped out on me just like 10.4 for, but for the last week it's been good. Maybe the cold weather had the opposite effect for me and somehow improved the situation??? Though I often don't even use climate control. It's so weirdly inconsistent.

For what it's worth, I also have a 2018 M3 with resistive heating.

This happens predictably to me near the crest of a small rise where corresponding to a fire station. It happens in both directions and only when using autopilot. It's my guess, and only a guess, that something at the fire station is interfering with GPS and the car is unsure where it's driving. It's startling when it happens, that's for sure, and causes my passengers to jump out of their skins. This is definitely not a selling point for future Tesla buyers who ride with me.

• Informative
I'm still on 10.5, which initially crapped out on me just like 10.4 for, but for the last week it's been good. Maybe the cold weather had the opposite effect for me and somehow improved the situation??? Though I often don't even use climate control. It's so weirdly inconsistent.

For what it's worth, I also have a 2018 M3 with resistive heating.
Service center wanted a 2 day appointment and first day is over.

During a 6 hr drive another issue surfaced involving the left side (drivers side) of the car. Called a Ranger directly at the time. He suggested possible water incursion. This “might” be possible but I am doubtful.

OTA update to 10.8 had no improvement.

I can say 12 hours of driving seemed to further degrade performance. I guess the question remains as to whether this degraded performance is resolved by SW or whether it will involve a HW fix eventually.

Last edited:
  • Informative
We’ve had the same experience as the O.P., with no resolution for several weeks. 2020 MY LR, FSD 10.5. We really enjoyed daily Beta testing FSD (thousands of miles) for about a month and a half. We made many, many bug reports, with the same type of reports that are found here. We even have the fire station-triggered failure (downtown Cocoa Beach, FL) like clockwork…until we were thrown out of the program “until the next software update”. We’ve been so impressed with the FSD experience, even with the numerous problems. The phantom “Take control immediately!” SW failure, with both hands on the wheel, driver alert and engaged, is gut wrenching, isn’t it?

We were worried that we were doing something wrong, or that it was some HW issue, but reading everyone else’s reports is simple assurance that this SW is just not quite ready for prime time — and we Beta testers must be patient…

We haven’t even gotten the “Holiday Update”, and perhaps we’ll just have to enjoy the Valentines Day Update, or whatever. Tesla SW programmers really deserve the holidays off too. We can wait.