Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki FSD Beta 10.4

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't think Tesla uses OSM maps (for anything other than summon). Checkout my TomTom thread.
Ok let me clarify. From the threads I have read, it appears that some mapping data comes from TomTom, some from OSM. You might be correct about smart summon. However, when I find mapping problems on the road, I check Open Street Maps and in every case there is a corresponding error, especially when it comes to speed limits, number of lanes, turn directions, etc. It may be that Tesla uses TomTom map data, but it is apparent that there is a strong correspondence between TomTom and OSM data. Draw your own conclusions.

Ok let me clarify. From the threads I have read, it appears that some mapping data comes from TomTom, some from OSM. You might be correct about smart summon. However, when I find mapping problems on the road, I check Open Street Maps and in every case there is a corresponding error, especially when it comes to speed limits, number of lanes, turn directions, etc. It may be that Tesla uses TomTom map data, but it is apparent that there is a strong correspondence between TomTom and OSM data. Draw your own conclusions.

See this thread -> FD Beta : TomTom Map, Roundabouts and the Speedlimit

None of us are sure. But I found very good examples near to my house where TomTom/Bing/Michelin were wrong and OSM/Google were correct. The car behaved exactly like you would expect it to behave if using TomTom/Bing. I found one more case which I'll explain there. If you compare TomTom/OSM maps to what you found and post the details there - may be we can figure this out.

Reactions: rxlawdude
I have 10.4 FSD (2021.36.8.5) and had a question about the Safety Score. Since getting the latest software and firmware, the Safety Score no longer appears in the iOS app. Do I no longer need to be concerned about it?

The reason I'm asking is my wife stopped driving my car because she kept dragging my scores down. After 2 weeks of her not driving, I went from 91 to 100, and got into the Beta program. She has asked if she can now drive again, and I want her to, but honestly don't know if her 91 driving will kick me out. Sorry to bring up the Safety Score again, but I could not find the answer elsewhere on this forum.

I have some new observations to share regarding animals on the road.

I have 2x now come across turkeys on my road, and they were rendered. One of those times the car slowed for one in the lane, but in neither case were they in the driving path. I hope to test an animal in the driving path sometime soon at a reasonable speed.

Speaking of animals, yesterday was totally an FSD failure, during my morning commute over 17. For whatever reason a 3 point buck thought it was a good idea to walk across the highway, and stop right in front of me in the slow lane at about 55 mph. I came around the corner to see him just stop taking a step, and he was directly in line with the drivers seat, in the left of the lane. I had no thought that I was going to see how FSD or the buck responded and instead, I swerved strongly into one of the few emergency lanes on 17. I saw behind me the impact as he got hit by the lumber delivery truck behind me (I think)

I really wish my USB still worked, but it has died over the last year. It was working intermittently but mostly working. As time went on the USB has become a total failure and I have an appointment to replace the MCU tomorrow. I already had tesla replace the USB module and the wiring harness, so only the MCU is left as a possibility.

Reactions: Massive Attack
I have some new observations to share regarding animals on the road.

I have 2x now come across turkeys on my road, and they were rendered. One of those times the car slowed for one in the lane, but in neither case were they in the driving path. I hope to test an animal in the driving path sometime soon at a reasonable speed.

Speaking of animals, yesterday was totally an FSD failure, during my morning commute over 17. For whatever reason a 3 point buck thought it was a good idea to walk across the road, and stop right in front of me in the slow lane. I came around the corner to see him just stop taking a step, and he was directly in line with the drivers seat, in the left of the lane. I had no thought that I was going to see how FSD or the buck responded and instead, I swerved strongly into one of the few emergency lanes on 17. I saw behind me the impact as he got hit by the lumber delivery truck behind me (I think)

I really wish my USB still worked, but it has died over the last year. It was working intermittently but mostly working. As time went on the USB has become a total failure and I have an appointment to replace the MCU tomorrow. I already had tesla replace the USB module and the wiring harness, so only the MCU is left as a possibility.
Yikes, dude! Last week I had to stop and wait for a group of deer to cross the street. It was a 45mph, 2 lane road in the suburbs. I was already on alert because deer mating season in central Ohio is October-February. I was fortunate to see them coming out of the woods, and didn't have to trigger a Hard Braking Event.

Be careful, and get that USB fixed!

Reactions: Vines
The FSD capture button to upload data. Does anyone know how far back it captures the data for a bad event?
In other words if FSD does something totally wrong, how much later after correcting said action do you have
to select the capture button.
The guidance from the FSD team to one youtuber was to press the button 10 seconds after the event.

Now that is a thread I look forward to reading!
Tom Maloughney of Inside EV's has done some terrific work already published. he has several videos on the work he did that are worth watching. I still collect my own data anyway. It varies slightly from his work because my battery / car is different but the overall charging curve is about the same. The one interesting discovery is that the V3 with 250KW peak doesn't gain much on the Tesla charging curves. With a Tesla, the advantage of V3 is no sharing. Tom has demonstrated that other EV's like the Taycan takes more advantage of high KW charging better than the Tesla fleet. Then there is the debate over battery life with that rate. OK I'm done with this OT discussion.

• Informative
Reactions: Phlier
I have 10.4 FSD (2021.36.8.5) and had a question about the Safety Score. Since getting the latest software and firmware, the Safety Score no longer appears in the iOS app. Do I no longer need to be concerned about it?

The reason I'm asking is my wife stopped driving my car because she kept dragging my scores down. After 2 weeks of her not driving, I went from 91 to 100, and got into the Beta program. She has asked if she can now drive again, and I want her to, but honestly don't know if her 91 driving will kick me out. Sorry to bring up the Safety Score again, but I could not find the answer elsewhere on this forum.
No you don't have to be concerned as that beta scoring system was only used to qualify your car. However when using beta-FSD, be ready to intervene constantly as it is still flakey. If you get too many final warnings to pay attention, Tesla will remove you from the beta team. I continue to suggest setting up a separate FSD-beta profile and use that when running test driving.

I'll try to get used to this. The throttle doesn't disable FSD though; I think that was my instinctive hesitation, that I'd rather disable FSD than fight with it. But I'll try the throttle the next time it happens.
As I understand, everytime FSD-beta is disabled, it reports to Tesla. You don't need to alert with the camera button. If you use the accelerator to avoid phantom braking, then that must be reported with the camera button.

• Informative
Congrats ;)

I just had the worst 10.4 drive this morning, 5 disengagements over 10 min.

1) Car decided to turn right halfway through a left turn (the navigation showed left turn).
2) Car passed by two side roads in a row where it was supposed to turn
3) Car entered a left turn only lane at stop light when it needed to go straight
4) Had to be disengaged in tight roundabout to prevent curb scraping
5) Car tried to go around cars stopped for red light into left only turn lane.

Some drives are amazing, and then some are total disasters.

No you don't have to be concerned as that beta scoring system was only used to qualify your car. However when using beta-FSD, be ready to intervene constantly as it is still flakey. If you get too many final warnings to pay attention, Tesla will remove you from the beta team. I continue to suggest setting up a separate FSD-beta profile and use that when running test driving.
I will be super careful, for sure. After the first day of testing FSD, I have become fully aware of what Beta-testing really is. The irony is not lost on me, as I am a software developer of over 20 years, lol.

Separate profile is a great suggestion.

I have never once been kicked off NoA for being inattentive, and I used it a ton. However, even though I have my hand on the wheel 100% while using the FSD Beta, I am frequently seeing that blue banner. Its a battle trying to maintain enough resistance, but not disengaging. All the while being on edge letting the car do odd stuff while waiting to see if it will figure it out. haha

It is fun.

1) Car decided to turn right halfway through a left turn (the navigation showed left turn).
Ditto! After having an excellent FSD-beta drive recognizing 100% of all speed bumps slowing to 15mph for all of them well in advance, then I come to a NOA left turn at a red light waiting for the left green arrow. left turn signal is on and then bam, the car tried to switch to a right turn as I entered the intersection. Used the steering wheel to abort and continue the left turn staying on route.

Its a battle trying to maintain enough resistance, but not disengaging. All the while being on edge letting the car do odd stuff while waiting to see if it will figure it out. haha
Not a battle for me. If Tesla v10.4 can't do the drive as it should, then I abort and move on. I don't even allow it to do erratic steering. That's not normal and is unacceptable. FSD is supposed to be better than me so sorry to Tesla apologists, If it isn't achieving good driving I give it an F grade.

I'm a Tesla fan, I'm not a Tesla apologist. I want this to be as Elon said, "better than human drivers."

Ditto! After having an excellent FSD-beta drive recognizing 100% of all speed bumps slowing to 15mph for all of them well in advance, then I come to a NOA left turn at a red light waiting for the left green arrow. left turn signal is on and then bam, the car tried to switch to a right turn as I entered the intersection. Used the steering wheel to abort and continue the left turn staying on route.

Not a battle for me. If Tesla v10.4 can't do the drive as it should, then I abort and move on. I don't even allow it to do erratic steering. That's not normal and is unacceptable. FSD is supposed to be better than me so sorry to Tesla apologists, If it isn't achieving good driving I give it an F grade.

I'm a Tesla fan, I'm not a Tesla apologist. I want this to be as Elon said, "better than human drivers."
But it is not yet feature complete. Are you expecting it to be? This is like giving a student a final grade halfway through the semester. Your expectations are unreasonable and if these are your expectations you should not be part of the program.

I think both options are valid. I've reported a erratic steering a lot - now I just let it be erratic and see what it does next - so I can report on any further problems. If we keep disengaging on the first problem, we'll find out other problems.

As we used to say - there are some "blocking" bugs that need to be fixed before you can test further - but with most of them you can log and move on.

3 lanes going southbound and we are in the middle lane, GPS says “turn right in 1 mile.“
At the .5 mile mark it changes to the right lane?
at the .2 mark it goes back to the middle lane and at this point there is no room to get in the far right lane.
At the last minute it tries to jump in the far right lane and it was wat to close to a car that was in that lane already so disengaged and skipped that turn.

Why in the world would it even want to go to the left lane when GPS knows it was a right turn coming up?
I think at some point based on traffic it needs to get on the correct lane early on.