Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki FSD Beta 10.4

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
More fun with interstate traffic control. Here it sees traffic signals on the overpass and tells me it’s preparing to stop for traffic control in 500 feet. Pre-FSD I turned off traffic control response bc it would stop for train control signals on the highway, but with FSD enabled traffic control response is always enabled. This particular example didn’t actually result in braking, but FSD still misclassifies the situation and is confusing
Interesting - because that is not coming from the map.

Update regarding animals: the turkeys are safe, and FSD managed to not only go around them, but also to cross the double yellow at the same time to avoid a permanent narrow spot in the road.

My appointment to get the USB fixed for the 5th time is tomorrow. I highly suspect it is the computer.

Reactions: jebinc
Update regarding animals: the turkeys are safe, and FSD managed to not only go around them, but also to cross the double yellow at the same time to avoid a permanent narrow spot in the road.

My appointment to get the USB fixed for the 5th time is tomorrow. I highly suspect it is the computer.
Glad to hear that the turkeys are safe - especially this time of year!

• Funny
Reactions: MarcG and Phlier
10.4 will not make a simple left turn from my residential street onto a two lane thru street. It starts the turn, yanks the wheel back and forth and finally stops diagonally in the middle of the road. Tesla's electric steering motor drives the steering rack gear with a toothed flexible belt via a set of toothed pulleys that reduce the motor speed and increase torque. The violent wheel movement is unlike any normal steering movements and has to be putting undesigned for stress and large transient loads on the belt teeth. Failure of this belt will disable electric steering. This is one of the few single-point-failute parts in a system that must be fault tolerant and should be what's called, " Fail-operational". That means to safely continue the operation when there is a failure of any one component. Aircraft "Autoland" systems are Fail-operational. They have at least two of everything including two separate autopilots with actuators. Tesla drives the steering motor with two different controllers but there is only one motor and one belt.

I think you have it wrong. Here's why-

I paid for FSD and was very satisfied for what it did at the time I paid. It will be nice when it does more. I later volunteered to be a beta test pilot and do the testing as a volunteer. That work did not require me nor expect me to make excuses for the work in progress that in my opinion failed to work. You seem to feel I don't understand that it is a work in progress. But I surely do. While most of my career I worked in industry as an engineer and owned my own business for a number of years, I also taught at the college level part time. But aside from my past experience, nowhere in my agreement to be a beta tester was I expected to make excuses for what doesn't work. I'm here to both learn what others are experiencing and offer my observations. When I had a student do poorly on a test he failed. When I saw the whole class did poorly then I failed.
Yes but there is a difference between what you (and most of us) expect should have been delivered by now, and what has actually been delivered to date. I am not making excuses for the unrealistic (a.k.a, blatantly dishonest) projections of FSD delivery. We were lied to. But that doesn’t change that Tesla agreed to release an ”early access“ beta, which in most circles would not even be called an alpha release. It is more of an iteration of the development cycle. Not what we wanted, but it’s what we all accepted when we pressed “the button.“ Criticizing it as incomplete is non-sensical. It was explicitly stated to be incomplete.

I put in a service request with some screen shots. Got scheduled for Friday service appointment. Hopefully they will just force another OTA by morning and not drag this till Friday :(. Sucks… I was really excited to see the FSD

Add me as well.

Got a message for new software 2021.36.8.6 (for the refreshed model s). No fsd beta email.

Software screen shows FSD Beta 10.4. But in autopilot setting I’m still in the queue for fsd beta.

Also safety score disappeared in the app. Now I don’t know should I keep the grandma driving style or not…..

Add me as well.

Got a message for new software 2021.36.8.6 (for the refreshed model s). No fsd beta email.

Software screen shows FSD Beta 10.4. But in autopilot setting I’m still in the queue for fsd beta.

Also safety score disappeared in the app. Now I don’t know should I keep the grandma driving style or not…..
😂… true about driving … and everything you said is exactly the same here. I didn’t realize that safety score had disappeared!

1637210944991.png

Looks like they’re adding more and more people to 10.4

• Informative
Reactions: Phlier
I don't know how useful it is to report duplicate bugs.
First, how would you know it was a duplicate? Second, Tesla can use the duplicate count to judge the frequency of an issue arising. Third, FSD is subtle, and can behave quite differently on the same road at different times (weather, lighting, cars etc all factor in). So duplicate reports help to weed out the underling cause by eliminating variables.

Reactions: K5TRX and Ramphex
I don't know how useful it is to report duplicate bugs.
I would guess it falls under the rule of squeaky wheel gets oiled. The more a problem is reported, the more likely the coders will look to fix it.
there is a difference between what you (and most of us) expect should have been delivered by now,
Please don't confuse me with those who expect FSD-beta in the city to be as flawless as TACC. I'm the one of several who don't expect this FSD in city streets to get that good until all human controlled cars are gone from the road unless a reasonable number of accidents are tolerated and every single Tesla accident is no longer headline news. I'm not impatient for this to be perfect in the march of 9's. I, like some, volunteered to add to the data for Tesla's experiment. That's all.

To be honest, I don't expect to use FSD off the highway much even if released to Level 3 or 4 autonomy. Much of my off highway driving is 2-5 mile trips and until I can spend that trip time not supervising the driving in FSD, it's just easier to drive myself. For me- long road trips on the interstate highways are where I use FSD and where I do expect it to be 99.9999% perfect. I think we're there now.

Make sure FSD Beta is enabled in the Autopilot settings

I may have the same problem! Installed 10.4 (2021.36.8.5) , but controls>autopilot menu still shows “request full self driving beta”. I don’t see an option to turn on FSD BETA.
Same here. I was on 2021.36.5.1 and yesterday downloaded and installed 2021.36.8.5. Release notes explained all about 10.4 FSD beta and all but no difference in display. Can't engage FSD beta. I still see the option to request "Full self driving beta" available although my safety score disappeared from the app. Don't know what to do other than to wait for another update to appear to hopefully fix this.

YouTuber "Dirty Tesla" may have solved the erratic behaviors mentioned hear by calibrating the cameras. Will try tomorrow. If this works there may be a software calibration error in 10.4 and camera recalibration may be necessary for 10.5.
Yea watch this too and it did seem better. I always hate getting to excited about what could be the placebo effect (like people thinking NOA Stack drives better in Beta) but worth a shot and will give it a try today. Nothing to lose except a few miles of STRESSFUL driving :oops::oops:🤣.