Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki FSD Beta 10.4

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've got a 99 Safety score (up from recent 98 a few days ago) and am still with version 32.31since 11/06. Model 3 AWD. Am I in an outlier situation at this point, or are there others out there with similar circumstances still waiting for 36.8.5? Curious.

I've got a 99 Safety score (up from recent 98 a few days ago) and am still with version 32.31since 11/06. Model 3 AWD. Am I in an outlier situation at this point, or are there others out there with similar circumstances still waiting for 36.8.5? Curious.
I'm 32.31 as well... one of the few left on that, and was at 99 last week.

We won't be getting 36.8.5 for sure... hopefully we're getting 36.8.8. Right now all the deploys are to existing testers... nobody outside of existing testers have received it according to TeslaFi. I'd guess probably not today, but maybe later this week for a wider push to new 98+ folks.

Reactions: Darth Milo
I received 10.5 a couple of days ago after having 10.4 for only 2 or 3 days. I am not seeing much if any improvement on my 2 short drives with 10.5 through the neighborhood. It still has the problem of slowing down rapidly every so often at side streets for no apparent reason. Probably as often as every third or fourth street. It takes turns wide and has the jerky steering wheel action when stopped and creeping forward to make a turn. 10.5 seems a lot like 10.4 so far for me.

I received 10.5 a few days ago and found it to be significantly improved. Few if any nags and after several trips without intervention I am pleased by the continuous improvement. Perfect? No. But I have managed expectations of a Beta release. Never imagined a day when I would be just a passenger watching my car navigate to my destination. Impressive tech.

I wonder if I am really running 10.5. I loaded 10.5 successfully. The display in the car and on the Tesla app indicates 10.5 (2021.36.8.8). But so far my 10.5 operates very similar if not identical to 10.4. Previously when I loaded 10.4 the load was successful but 10.4 but it was not running on the car for several days. I did not have the switch to enable FSD and did not have the increased visualizations but the indicated software version number was for 10.4. It took about 3 day until the features of 10.4 were available. Maybe some Tesla shenanigans for 10.5 also :)

• Funny
Reactions: jebinc
*Cracks Knuckles* I apologize in advance for the incoming wall of text...

To start with, you should do as @GlmnAlyAirCar suggests in the quoted text below. I got the quotes out of order, and am too lazy to fix it, but yeah... take any information you get from this site with a large grain of salt. Most all of it is based on observations the Hive Mind here has made along the way, with a sprinkle of information added by Tesla when/if they feel like giving actual information.

According to what I've read here, as well as what a few SC technicians have told me, cars are delivered with what Tesla refers to as "Break in Firmware." This can be identified by the last three digits of the version installed in your car; break in firmware is designated with the ".1xx" version.

Supposedly, there are triggers set by Tesla that will determine when your car will get its first firmware update to the non-break in, public release firmware branch. What those triggers are has yet to be determined. It could be time, mileage, a combination thereof, or the position of the Sun and Venus that decides when your car will get the first update.

From what I've seen, it is a rare instance for guys to get an update within the first two weeks. Sometimes people will report getting an update within hours of delivering their cars, but in most instances, the update is simply an updated version of the break in firmware, with the odd case of receiving main stream firmware also reported.

It is also true that most updates only occur over WiFi, but if the update is deemed important enough by Tesla, they will also push it over the car's built in LTE.

A tech at the Las Vegas SC told me that Tesla uses this break in firmware to monitor certain vehicle systems to make sure that they stay within expected parameters during the car's initial usage. Unfortunately, he didn't have any idea what the trigger was for getting a non-break in firmware, nor would he expand on what parameters are monitored.

IMO (and again, take it with a large grain of salt), if a guy wanted to get his car off of break in firmware fast, he should put as many miles on the car in as many diverse driving situations as possible. But until the triggers are met, you are well and truly stuck on break in firmware, and there's nothing you can do about it, other than just driving the car and waiting for the Update Available message to pop up.

That's really good advice, especially keeping your car connected to a good WiFi signal as much as possible.

If that's not an option for you, you can always turn on the WiFi Hotspot on your phone, connect your Tesla to your phone's hotspot, and leave it that way overnight. Might not be an option for you unless you have unlimited free data on your cellphone plan, or at least a dataplan that isn't going to be a wallet breaker if you car downloads an update.

Yup.

There is a lot of good information on this site, but there's darn near just about as much bad information.

Back on topic for a sec...

Took beta FSD out for a bit of a drive yesterday. Since most all of the stuff it did has already been hashed and re-hashed here, I didn't bother saving any of the recordings I made.

One thing that I think guys might want to be aware of...

If you are on an unpainted road (especially in neighborhoods) and FSD is going to make a left turn, be extra careful; it loves to cut that turn in way too tight, then take off like a shot.

Again, all of the other stuff has been thoroughly discussed at this point, so I'm pretty much done with 10.4. Hopefully we'll get a new toy to play with sometime this weekend.
I got my update today. It was 13 days after I took delivery

• Informative
Reactions: Phlier
I'm 32.31 as well... one of the few left on that, and was at 99 last week.

We won't be getting 36.8.5 for sure... hopefully we're getting 36.8.8. Right now all the deploys are to existing testers... nobody outside of existing testers have received it according to TeslaFi. I'd guess probably not today, but maybe later this week for a wider push to new 98+ folks.
No change yet for me. Still 99 Safety and 32.31 (one of only 83 others per Teslafi). And looks like new 36.8.8 downloads have slowed to a trickle. Appears that they're waiting for next FSD iteration at this point before pushing to more folks that weren't already existing testers.

Add me as well.

Got a message for new software 2021.36.8.6 (for the refreshed model s). No fsd beta email.

Software screen shows FSD Beta 10.4. But in autopilot setting I’m still in the queue for fsd beta.

Also safety score disappeared in the app. Now I don’t know should I keep the grandma driving style or not…..
I only recently was approved for the beta after a Thanksgiving road trip, and I didn't get an email, it just accepted me into the beta with a software update, and no warning! I got the 2021.36.8.8 update, and our safety score disappeared from that vehicle, although it might look similar. I now am able to activate fsd beta. I never got the email, so I didn't really know about the 80 mph limit (and was promptly kicked out of FSD when I tried to accelerate past a semi that was trying to move over into my lane, due to an on-ramp he was passing), and I can't even find the FSD report "camera" icon in our 2021 Model S LR. What does it look like? The Model S doesn't have a row of icons at the top, like our Model 3. Do I have to swipe right to open the menus to find it? That would be a pain in the ... And don't get me started about the phantom braking problems!