Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD Beta 10.69

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I started using the Chill mode few days ago, and first thing I noticed is that the car doesn't switch to the left lane at every opportunity anymore. I can actually cruise with FSD enabled on the right lane when no cars are in front of me. This is on a local road, not highway.

Is this "Chill" behaviour or did it change for all modes of FSD? So far, I like the Chill mode.

I started using the Chill mode few days ago, and first thing I noticed is that the car doesn't switch to the left lane at every opportunity anymore. I can actually cruise with FSD enabled on the right lane when no cars are in front of me. This is on a local road, not highway.

Is this "Chill" behaviour or did it change for all modes of FSD? So far, I like the Chill mode.
I agree, I started using "chill" a couple of weeks ago and the lane changing behavior, while not perfect, is much better in the FSD mode. Just to add my own observation, if I put the car into the left lane it will not try to get into the right lane and vice versa for no obvious reason. It also seems to get into the correct lane sooner when an upcoming left or right turn is coming.

I agree, I started using "chill" a couple of weeks ago and the lane changing behavior, while not perfect, is much better in the FSD mode. Just to add my own observation, if I put the car into the left lane it will not try to get into the right lane and vice versa for no obvious reason. It also seems to get into the correct lane sooner when an upcoming left or right turn is coming.
While several disagree these changes make a difference I personally have found them to help. I use chill, moved mad max lane change to regular, and even disabled forward collision for a period as I “suspected” it was doubling the caution on regular drives with FSDb fighting it. Again, My Opinion nothing more granted I rarely see Phantom braking or overly crazy lane changes so I am sticking with it.

While several disagree these changes make a difference I personally have found them to help. I use chill, moved mad max lane change to regular, and even disabled forward collision for a period as I “suspected” it was doubling the caution on regular drives with FSDb fighting it. Again, My Opinion nothing more granted I rarely see Phantom braking or overly crazy lane changes so I am sticking with it.
While I have my doubts I going to give it a try. Might as well since V11 is ALWAYS a week or so away. Could pretend it is 10.69.25.2.420 so I can at least "feel" like we are getting updates. 🤣

I started using the Chill mode few days ago, and first thing I noticed is that the car doesn't switch to the left lane at every opportunity.
My comments about undesirable changes are on the Chill mode. I haven't even tried the more aggressive modes since getting FSDb in December. I'd agree it doesn't happen at every opportunity, but more often than I'd like.

If I'm on a decent stretch and not close to an intersection, sometimes I'll let it go ahead and change. But even on Chill, it's been too anxious to signal a change just as the queue is building at a red light, or sometimes just as the traffic is starting up after a new green light.

So I'm looking forward to v11 for improvement.

My comments about undesirable changes are on the Chill mode. I haven't even tried the more aggressive modes since getting FSDb in December. I'd agree it doesn't happen at every opportunity, but more often than I'd like.

If I'm on a decent stretch and not close to an intersection, sometimes I'll let it go ahead and change. But even on Chill, it's been too anxious to signal a change just as the queue is building at a red light, or sometimes just as the traffic is starting up after a new green light.

So I'm looking forward to v11 for improvement.
It finally happened to me - under Chill mode, it switched a lane on a spot when I didn't want it to. But that part of the road is really messed up - two lanes split into 4, and the left 2 turns left. You have to stay on the right lane to go straight (and also right).

When I first came to this town, I made the same mistake few times. Other than this one, so far, so good.

I wonder, how well the current FSD drives compare to myself on roads I've never been before? I do tend to drive much worse on new towns, especially the complex ones.

Reactions: JHCCAZ
Same settings I have used for a long time.

When I first came to this town, I made the same mistake few times. Other than this one, so far, so good.

I wonder, how well the current FSD drives compare to myself on roads I've never been before? I do tend to drive much worse on new towns, especially the complex ones.
That's why I think better maps, and an evolving Tesla network/database of traveled roads, could be a very useful enhancement. Right now, the car is basically experiencing every route as an unfamiliar one, and does no memory imprinting on an individual basis. On a fleet basis, you could say the disengagements will eventually train out some of the mistakes, but traveled-road familiarity is not a primary goal of the training. In one of his last presentations for Tesla, Karpathy did allude to the concept of a virtual whole-earth map being effectively trained into the neural network, but I don't think Tesla has been moving purposefully towards this kind of thing.

In the meantime, I'm hoping the new Chill setting will help in the places where it makes unwanted lane changes - but if there's lane assignment confusion due to ambiguous markings, coupled with the "every drive is my first drive" syndrome, there may not be much difference.

Reactions: VanFriscia
That's why I think better maps, and an evolving Tesla network/database of traveled roads, could be a very useful enhancement. Right now, the car is basically experiencing every route as an unfamiliar one, and does no memory imprinting on an individual basis. On a fleet basis, you could say the disengagements will eventually train out some of the mistakes, but traveled-road familiarity is not a primary goal of the training. In one of his last presentations for Tesla, Karpathy did allude to the concept of a virtual whole-earth map being effectively trained into the neural network, but I don't think Tesla has been moving purposefully towards this kind of thing.

In the meantime, I'm hoping the new Chill setting will help in the places where it makes unwanted lane changes - but if there's lane assignment confusion due to ambiguous markings, coupled with the "every drive is my first drive" syndrome, there may not be much difference.

Let’s first master starting, stopping, and turning. It’s amazing how bad it is at turning.

Two nights ago, since there was no one around, I let it come to a complete halt in the middle of the road, to make this right.

Inexplicable. It is usually quite bad at this turn, but this was special.

Let’s first master starting, stopping, and turning. It’s amazing how bad it is at turning.

Two nights ago, since there was no one around, I let it come to a complete halt in the middle of the road, to make this right.

Inexplicable. It is usually quite bad at this turn, but this was special.

Probably stopped for that weird little green sign. Edge case.

• Helpful
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
Probably stopped for that weird little green sign. Edge case.
Could be. I think this type of intersection is a challenge for FSD right now if I recall from other users. It is quite tricky I guess - just tough to know where to go with no markings! Sometimes it has tried to go to the next turn, in the past.

Not sure if we should focus on this or focus on maps. Maybe it needs to be mapped better?

Heck, why not both?

However, it is very safe, because it has not driven through the fence on the other side of the road, which is what humans sometimes do. So it may be ready, and perhaps immoral to not release to the public.

Could be. I think this type of intersection is a challenge for FSD right now if I recall from other users. It is quite tricky I guess. Sometimes it has tried to go to the next turn, in the past.

Not sure if we should focus on this or focus on maps. Maybe it needs to be mapped better?
It's all of the above, if the goal is to work out the bugs and the kinks and to provide both safety and a smooth experience.

Details of the FSD Beta recall on a new Tesla page: Update Vehicle Firmware to Improve Certain FSD Beta Driving Operations | Tesla Support

Some highlights:
  1. Will the OTA software remedy for this recall remove FSD Beta from my vehicle? No, the software remedy will improve how FSD Beta negotiates certain driving maneuvers during specific conditions described above.
  2. Will owners continue to receive FSD Beta?Until the software version containing the fix is available, we have paused the rollout of FSD Beta to all who have opted-in but have not yet received a software version containing FSD Beta.

Details of the FSD Beta recall on a new Tesla page: Update Vehicle Firmware to Improve Certain FSD Beta Driving Operations | Tesla Support

Some highlights:
  1. Will the OTA software remedy for this recall remove FSD Beta from my vehicle? No, the software remedy will improve how FSD Beta negotiates certain driving maneuvers during specific conditions described above.
  2. Will owners continue to receive FSD Beta?Until the software version containing the fix is available, we have paused the rollout of FSD Beta to all who have opted-in but have not yet received a software version containing FSD Beta.
Sure it has been discussed, but not even sure what this means:

The perceived duration of the vehicle’s static position at certain intersections with a stop sign, particularly when the intersection is clear of any other road users.

Is it saying the duration is too long or too short? Why do they say perceived duration? Who cares what is perceived?
Why would this one matter I wonder since it applies when no one is around? (Maybe they are worried about the situations where there are other vehicles, though.)

Anyway, Chuck is disappointed. Apparently he still really believes in Robotaxis!

Reactions: FSDtester#1
Is it saying the duration is too long or too short? Why do they say perceived duration? Who cares what is perceived?
Why would this one matter I wonder since it applies when no one is around? (Maybe they are worried about the situations where there are other vehicles, though.)

It's stopping too short. On the summary of the recall here: 2021 TESLA MODEL 3 4 DR RWD | NHTSA

They phrase it as:

"entering a stop sign-controlled intersection without coming to a complete stop"

So I'm guessing this is one of the things that Tesla disagreed with NHTSA over. Tesla can probably show FSDb's exact stopping profile, and it may have been coming to a complete stop for a fraction of a second. But evidently the perception of that fraction of a second was insufficient for NHTSA.

2018 Model 3, Dual Motor, FSD Beta, ver: 2023.2.12, 143K miles

For the past 8 months the FSD Beta has a problem with the stop sign at top of residential street. Prior to the 8 months the car would stop for the sign, short of it but stopped. Now it actually accelerates at it, then last minute recognizes the sign, brakes very hard, ends up in middle of intersection, then goes again. With every beta update I test it to see if it has been fixed. I've experienced it at other intersections also, I end up having to intervene, especially when I am not familiar with the intersection. I would estimate it works fine 98-99% of the time with residential stop signs. Back when we had the report button I sent it in several times after each update to no avail.

Other issue with this release is at residential 4 way intersections, if a vehicle is to my right and they take their turn and make a left turn, their car is highlighted blue and is tracked through the turn. Problem is the car has not completely cleared the front of my car and my car proceeds forward. I have to immediately brake else I will collide with the back corner of their car. I’ve had drivers throw me the face when my car starts to proceed into them.

I hope this delay will not impact those of us waiting on V11.3.