Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

tevman

Nov Schmoz Kapop
Oct 14, 2021
Durango, CO
FSD Beta 10.69 mishandles intersections often. It moves out a little then hesitates and eventually gets through ok. Sometimes it does a great job and not just by following the car ahead. Other times it seems to get overwhelmed by complex movements of multiple objects like pedestrians walking near the curb on a sidewalk or cars on the other side facing the ego car but not moving. This may be a key situation class that needs the most work now that other much more complex road situations seem to be handled well. Any insights?

Reactions: beachmiles
Had been on an 11.3.6 for several months and while I had some weird quirks here and there and made mistakes it was a very consistent experience and I was able to confidently use it 98% of the time. 11.4.4 hit my car and since then which was two weeks ago it has tried to run red lights multiple times, Attempted to turn into intersections despite oncoming traffic, makes sudden turns that are incorrect and not even shown on the route planner, and has had more phantom brakes than ever before. That and its seemingly disregard for some stop signs as well as far worse unmarked road performance has led to me not wanting to use it at all. Very disappointed in this major regression and frankly would take 11.3.6 back in a heartbeat.

someone needs to tweet Elon and tell him to pull 4.4 or push a better update to the majority running it. It frankly makes FSD far more dangerous to use.

Curious if I’m an anomaly with this experience or others having similar?

Had been on an 11.3.6 for several months and while I had some weird quirks here and there and made mistakes it was a very consistent experience and I was able to confidently use it 98% of the time. 11.4.4 hit my car and since then which was two weeks ago it has tried to run red lights multiple times, Attempted to turn into intersections despite oncoming traffic, makes sudden turns that are incorrect and not even shown on the route planner, and has had more phantom brakes than ever before. That and its seemingly disregard for some stop signs as well as far worse unmarked road performance has led to me not wanting to use it at all. Very disappointed in this major regression and frankly would take 11.3.6 back in a heartbeat.

someone needs to tweet Elon and tell him to pull 4.4 or push a better update to the majority running it. It frankly makes FSD far more dangerous to use.

He's getting telemetry from the fleet, so he already knows. His own Livestream of V12 tried to run a red light.

If you're concerned, stop using it until the next release and then retest to see if you're more comfortable with it.

Reactions: fsb1
My FSD 11.4.4 went nuts shortly after I got it. Four days ago I got 11.4.7 and hoped for a fix, but it has been just as bad as 11.4.4.

I wonder if I might have an undiagnosed hardware problem. I think the FSD software team is all hands on deck trying to get FSD 12 ready to release and has not been able to devote any time to fixing current releases.

My FSD 11.4.4 went nuts shortly after I got it. Four days ago I got 11.4.7 and hoped for a fix, but it has been just as bad as 11.4.4.

I wonder if I might have an undiagnosed hardware problem. I think the FSD software team is all hands on deck trying to get FSD 12 ready to release and has not been able to devote any time to fixing current releases.
Likely hardware. Make sure your GPS is accurate. If so, when it freaks out, immediately press the voice button and say "bug report" then open a service request and reference the bug report. Techs will pull telemetry from your car and that may tell them what's going on.

I think it depends on the route. I have some routes where 11.4.4 works perfectly: no interventions at all, much better than 11.3.6! But I also have routes where it fails almost every time: takes wrong lanes, slows down for no reason, even fails to stop at a stop sign.

In my experience, 11.4.4 is much smoother than 11.3.6, but it does make some stupid mistakes from time to time and has some regressions compared to 11.3.6. Which one is safer, I think it depends on your route. Neither one is perfect, so stay alert!

11.4.x for me has a lot more highway phantom breaking and erroneous highway exiting. I don’t use it or any fsd on local streets due to its unreliable nature, but now the highway fsd seems unreliable too.

Our 2017 highlander had a better highway experience than this, as did our highway autopilot before radar was removed.

Let’s hope they better balance obstacle detection safety and phantom breaking in the next release, but I think the 1.2 megapixel cameras without radar will doom this generation of cars.

I just took back a loaner I had while my car was in service and the loaner had FSD on it. I was really glad to have FSD on the loaner to be able to see if it was just my car that was performing so badly in my area or if it's just the state of FSD around here because I thought my car might have an issue as well. Turns out in my case it's just that FSD is that bad around here so I guess at least I know there isn't something wrong with my car. I think v12 will be where I either see the potential or not. I've at least gotten to the point where I stopped having the cycle of being really excited for a big update and then feeling let down every time, now I just install the update whenever I have time instead of waiting in the middle of the night to get it and try it. Was kinda feeling like Charlie Brown with the football. At this point I would just be happy if it would stop at all the stops signs (have 5 that it will just blow through or try to stop at the last second). They have made a lot of progress though so hopefully v12 will be the big step change that they can then build from.

I don't know where you are in Michigan, but Dirty Tesla presents his experience around Ann Arbor. He gets pretty good behavior from it.
I have emailed him a couple times, we are actually pretty near to each other. I asked him about coming here and doing a drive, told him I'd buy lunch or something and that I wanted to see how his magic car did around here but he didn't respond to that one. I used to follow his videos and watch every one of them but I started to feel like (just my opinion) he has a pretty big bias sometimes at making excuses for the car and downplaying things, although I will say more recently he has called stuff out more. The more telling videos to me are ones that have his wife's opinion.

One of the intersections that it would run the stop sign it used to stop at fine then hesitate way too long to go but then randomly started running the stop sign after slowing a bit, then it would cross the intersection, then stop in the intersection before the crosswalk on the other side. This is on a 25mph road so it has plenty of time to see things coming. One intersection even has a blinking red light in addition to the stop sign which just boggles my mind why it can't handle this one (55mph road). One is a railroad crossing which the last time I tested it (55mph road) I slowed it to 35mph ahead of time to give it lots of time. It went past the stop sign and stopped directly on the tracks, middle of the car was on top of the tracks.

I still like to play with it and enjoy having it even though it can be really frustrating sometimes but again, I am not using it as something to take over driving from me, I'm basically enjoying it as a neat tech demo while it slowly progresses.

As a side note, I think it uses a lot of map data and it seems intersections that I'm guessing aren't mapped are the ones it has issues with. I tested this with 3 roads which cross the same RR tracks, the car won't stop for any of them, I reported 1 of the 3, the car now stops at that one but not the other 2.

I don't know where you are in Michigan, but Dirty Tesla presents his experience around Ann Arbor. He gets pretty good behavior from it.
Really? Watch his latest video today with his new Y on 11.4.4 bungling his Ann Arbor routes. He was reduced to laughing at how bad it was and mirrors my experience on Phoenix city streets with my new Y. City streets is a joke. Freeways are pretty good but basic AP or EAP are all you need for them.

Reactions: kabin

Not for me. 11.4.4 is different than 11.3.6 but does none of the actions are downright dangerous

Really? Watch his latest video today with his new Y on 11.4.4 bungling his Ann Arbor routes. He was reduced to laughing at how bad it was and mirrors my experience on Phoenix city streets with my new Y. City streets is a joke. Freeways are pretty good but basic AP or EAP are all you need for them.
Link to that video please.

I have emailed him a couple times, we are actually pretty near to each other. I asked him about coming here and doing a drive, told him I'd buy lunch or something and that I wanted to see how his magic car did around here but he didn't respond to that one. I used to follow his videos and watch every one of them but I started to feel like (just my opinion) he has a pretty big bias sometimes at making excuses for the car and downplaying things, although I will say more recently he has called stuff out more. The more telling videos to me are ones that have his wife's opinion.

One of the intersections that it would run the stop sign it used to stop at fine then hesitate way too long to go but then randomly started running the stop sign after slowing a bit, then it would cross the intersection, then stop in the intersection before the crosswalk on the other side. This is on a 25mph road so it has plenty of time to see things coming. One intersection even has a blinking red light in addition to the stop sign which just boggles my mind why it can't handle this one (55mph road). One is a railroad crossing which the last time I tested it (55mph road) I slowed it to 35mph ahead of time to give it lots of time. It went past the stop sign and stopped directly on the tracks, middle of the car was on top of the tracks.

I still like to play with it and enjoy having it even though it can be really frustrating sometimes but again, I am not using it as something to take over driving from me, I'm basically enjoying it as a neat tech demo while it slowly progresses.
LOL, yeah -- I simply don't believe these youtubers. Also, they have a super high tolerance for annoying the *sugar* out of all the other drivers on the road. Like you I don't really want something to take over driving from me, but I love testing it out as a super tech feature. I've played with it off and on over six months and my conclusion is that it's never going to be good enough with the current hardware or until roads are designed to help self-driving cars. Don't get me wrong, it can be really amazing to have the car drive you to point A to point B on it's own -- and it can kind of do it without traffic -- but once there are other cars around me, there's no way I'd use it. Honestly I can't drive it more than a couple minutes at a time without needing to intervene in traffic.

The worst part is that because of the focus on full self-driving, Tesla's auto-pilot is actually worse than almost every other new car where it actually matters -- highway driving. I'd much rather use my wife's ID4's travel assist features on a long trip that my Model Y's for example.

Reactions: Dan D. and kabin
During my FSD transfer period when replacing my Model Y I found AP/EAP had a number of deficiencies when I was unable to use FSD on the highway. I had forgotten how much better FSD improved over the last couple of years. Once I got FSD again highway driving was back to normal.

LOL, yeah -- I simply don't believe these youtubers. Also, they have a super high tolerance for annoying the *sugar* out of all the other drivers on the road. Like you I don't really want something to take over driving from me, but I love testing it out as a super tech feature. I've played with it off and on over six months and my conclusion is that it's never going to be good enough with the current hardware or until roads are designed to help self-driving cars. Don't get me wrong, it can be really amazing to have the car drive you to point A to point B on it's own -- and it can kind of do it without traffic -- but once there are other cars around me, there's no way I'd use it. Honestly I can't drive it more than a couple minutes at a time without needing to intervene in traffic.

The worst part is that because of the focus on full self-driving, Tesla's auto-pilot is actually worse than almost every other new car where it actually matters -- highway driving. I'd much rather use my wife's ID4's travel assist features on a long trip that my Model Y's for example.
Yeah the YouTubers have no qualms about holding up traffic to let FSD decide what to do. I also think they have their foot on the pedals to make it seem more decisive at times because FSD freaks out around people or narrow spaces when left alone.

2023 July Model Y long range from Fremont 11.4.4 software recently installed. City street, auto steer on: Approach intersection, turn on signal for a right turn. Disengage autosteer by touching break pedal because I know that auto steer cannot reliably make a right turn at an intersection. Light changes, but I cannot make the car move. Cars pile up behind me, turn on emergency flasher, finally put car in Park, then in drive and the car proceeds normally. No error signs on computer.
Ideas?

• Informative