Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD Beta Attempts to Kill Me; Causes Accident

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Long time lurker, first time poster. I have been trying to work with Tesla to resolve this issue out of the public domain, but they have been characteristically terrible and honestly don't seem to care. Over the last 3 weeks, I have sent multiple emails, followed up via phone calls, escalated through my local service center, and nobody from Tesla corporate has even emailed or called to say they are looking into this. One of my local service center technicians opened a case with engineering, which she said would take 90 days to review. I find that absurd, especially when Tesla is releasing new versions every 2 weeks. I think it's important for people to be extra cautious about which roads they engage FSD beta on, especially since Tesla seems to be ignoring my report entirely.

49548280121_4d220fbae7_c.jpg

This incident happened almost 3 weeks ago on Monday, November 22nd at around 6:15 in the evening, just shortly after the sun had set. I was driving my Tesla Model Y on a two-lane rural road and had FSD engaged. The car was still on version 10.4 at the time. It was a clear night, no rain or adverse weather conditions. Everything was going fine, and I had previously used FSD beta on this stretch of road before without a problem. There was some occasional phantom braking, but that had been sort of common with 10.4.

A right banked curve in this two lane road came up with a vehicle coming around the curve the opposite direction. The Model Y slowed slightly and began making the turn properly and without cause for concern. Suddenly, about 40% of the way through the turn, the Model Y straightened the wheel and crossed over the center line into the direct path of the oncoming vehicle. I reacted as quickly as I could, trying to pull the vehicle back into the lane. I really did not have a lot of time to react, so chose to override FSD by turning the steering wheel since my hands were already on the wheel and I felt this would be the fastest way to avoid a front overlap collision with the oncoming vehicle. When I attempted to pull the vehicle back into my lane, I lost control and skidded off into a ditch and through the woods.

I was pretty shaken up and the car was in pieces. I called for a tow, but I live in a pretty rural area and could not find a tow truck driver who would touch a Tesla. I tried moving the car and heard underbody shields and covers rubbing against the moving wheels. I ended up getting out with a utility knife, climbing under the car, and cutting out several shields, wheel well liners, and other plastic bits that were lodged into the wheels. Surprisingly, the car was drivable and I was able to drive it to the body shop.

Right after the accident, I made the mistake of putting it in park and getting out of the vehicle first to check the situation before I hit the dashcam save button. The drive to the body shop was over an hour long, so the footage was overridden. Luckily, I was able to use some forensic file recovery software to recover the footage off the external hard drive I had plugged in.

In the footage, you can see the vehicle leave the lane, and within about 10 frames, I had already begun pulling back into the lane before losing control and skidding off the road. Since Teslacam records at about 36 frames per second, this would mean I reacted within about 360ms of the lane departure. I understand it is my responsibility to pay attention and maintain control of the vehicle, which I agreed to when I enrolled in FSD beta. I was paying attention, but human reaction does not get much faster than this and I am not sure how I could have otherwise avoided this incident. The speed limit on this road is 55mph. I would estimate FSD was probably going about 45-50mph, but have no way to confirm. I think the corrective steering I applied was too sharp given the speed the vehicle was going, and I lost grip with the pavement. On the 40% speed slowed down version of the clip, you can sort of see the back end of the car break loose in the way the front end starts to wiggle as the mailbox makes its way to the left side of the frame.

Surprisingly, I somehow managed to steer this flying car through a mini-forest, avoiding several trees (although I did knock off the driver's side mirror). There is no side panel damage whatsoever. The bumper cover is ruined and the car sustained fairly severe structural/suspension damage, both front and rear suspension components.

Luckily, nobody was hurt (except my poor car). I could not imagine the weight on my conscience if I had been too slow to intervene and ended up striking that oncoming vehicle. Front overlap collisions are some of the most deadly ways to crash a car, and bodily injury would have been very likely.

I have a perfect driving record and have never had an at-fault accident in the over 10 years I have been licensed. The thought of filing an insurance claim and increasing my premiums over this incident makes me sick. I am considering legal action against Tesla, but I'm not going to get into that here. Just wanted to make everyone aware and hyper-vigilant about FSD. I thought I was, but then this happened. I am going to be much more careful about the situations in which I decide to engage it. There is too much at stake, it is not mature enough, and frankly, Tesla's apathy and lack of communication around this incident really concerns me, as both an owner and a road-user.

tl;dr: Be careful with FSD, folks. And if you get into an accident, hit the dashcam save button or honk your horn before you put it in park.

Display of a Tesla car on autopilot mode showing current speed, remaining estimated range, speed limit and presence of vehicles on motorway lanes” by Marco Verch is licensed under CC BY 2.0.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ah yes, the owner begging Tesla not to kick him out of FSD, and his heavily clipped response video. Top notch work.

The problem with the fanbase is they can't accept obvious criticism, so instead of pushing Tesla to get better they just push an obviously wrong narrative. Meanwhile, Mercedes has been permitted to have highway L3 ADAS in Germany. Tesla's struggling to make L2 that won't crash into emergency vehicles, and Mercedes is going to be selling L3.

When someone dies "testing" FSD, it's going to catch the attention not only of US regulatory agencies but agencies worldwide. Good luck getting FSD in Canada or the EU anytime soon.
The obvious thing that the bears can't accept is the reality that Tesla is leading in both the EVs and autonomous driving software. I lol-ed at the MB PR stunt, Tesla could get L3 certification similar to the one by MB like 3 years ago but that would mean that they have to freeze the development

I've had this happen to me twice. Luckily I was able to correct it and not crash. On both occasions my GPS location was off-center on the car. I believe the car was trying to center itself back in the lane that it thought it was supposed to be in. Have you had any GPS location issues on your car? Tesla told me it was a known issue and there was nothing they could do to fix it in FSD beta , I would have to wait for an update. And for the record I think it's terrible that Tesla isn't working with you to fix whatever this issue was and at least acknowledge it, for the safety of all of their FSD beta drivers. The people that are talking about zero or few disengagements, have no idea of some of the other problems that people are having for whatever reasons, and can be condescending like you don't know how to use it or something. They literally have no clue. It's absolutely dangerous, and the people that have been in these situations know it.
After getting the FSD beta I have this issue with the GPS that the location is off by a mile or so in the beginning of the drive when leaving my garage. It seems the car does not "remember" where it was parked ... even though it is correctly posts its location on the phone app. As you can see here, the car is nowhere near a hospital parking lot, and this is after about a minute of driving.
IMG_20211207_084719179_HDR.jpg

• Funny
Reactions: DrDabbles
gps not showing your location when you cold start the car is just that, a cold start to gps. gps has 2 startup times, one if its seen the sky very recently and one where it does not have a cache. with no cache it can take minutes to get a 3d lock. this is how gps works.

Reactions: EVNow
Reading this thread, seeing the evidence and the following smoke screens, whataboutisms, diversions and attacks on the victims, I find it necessary to quote Nobel peace prize winner Maria Ressa: "Without facts, you can’t have truth. Without truth, you can’t have trust. Without trust, we have no shared reality, no democracy, and it becomes impossible to deal with our world’s existential problems:"

I think we should test who is to blame for the accident. It was an accident, the OP’s car was damaged, somebody’s personal property was damaged. Hell, do we even know if the on coming driver also didn’t over react and end up in a ditch a few hundred yards in the opposite direction?
So the police could or should have been called. When the police officer asks, who was driving the Tesla? will the OP say, Mr E Musk? Because I am sure that it’s more likely that the OP would be breathalysed. And who would have been charged with driving without due care and attention.
And then would the judge throw out the case because the car was self driving ? Sure, if a wheel fell off the judge might find that it’s the manufacturers fault. But self driving ? On a road that the judge’s nearest and dearests might be using to come home from school ?
Anyhow, after those tests I think the OP should then think about telling Tesla who’s fault it was.
However, if the OP’s main gripe is about how little Tesla seemed concerned with the feedback (and I think that may be the OP’s main point) then he is right. The company should accept the data and include it in its future analyses

The obvious thing that the bears can't accept is the reality that Tesla is leading in both the EVs and autonomous driving software.

Bears? Dude. I've been holding TSLA since 2016, I own the most expensive Model 3 config that existed, I reserved it pre-event. It's hilarious that you've run out of ability to misrepresent videos created by actual Tesla superfans and now you're on to "you must not be financially vested in Tesla if you don't believe them". Which, on its face is a laughable argument to attempt.

Tesla could get L3 certification

Well not according to Tesla or the SAE requirements for L3 since, as you can see in the footage I provided above, Tesla has a problem trying to crash head-on with other vehicles.

So the police could or should have been called. When the police officer asks, who was driving the Tesla? will the OP say, Mr E Musk? Because I am sure that it’s more likely that the OP would be breathalysed. And who would have been charged with driving without due care and attention.
Exactly. I do want to see the police report. I want to understand what the logs say i.e. get Tesla's side of the story before jumping to conclusions like the haters do here.

All too often when a tesla is involved in a crash we have seen over the years, the initial report always comes from the person involved in the crash - and almost never stands up to scrutiny. That is a good reason to wait before making any judgements - and to ask tough questions to both Tesla and to the crash survivors.

Anyone too eager to blame one side or the other are being too biased.

My dad always used to say it’s better to run over a dog than a child. Despite us being a family of dog lovers without much time for children. But the idea is that in that rare moment when they are your only two choices, you don’t kill a person. But what does Tesla’s neural networks do when confronted by a King Solomon’s decision ?
Did the OP’s car think (mistakenly) there’s a person in the road, my choice is a head-on collision ?

Last edited:
Looks like the Tesla did a pretty bad job on autopilot (crossing the middle line and seemingly proceeding to a head on collision). Looks like driver did a bad job too. Tesla should be better though, I expect more from them.
We don't know what the car actually did. Don't jump to conclusions like that police officer did in that Texas crash.

The thread title ensures that the conversation will turn the way it already is, and likely will continue in that vein

I said this in post #13 in this thread, and it has proven to be 100% correct. The thread title chosen invited a certain type of conversation. This thread was always going to turn out exactly how it has (which is, frankly how most of these threads turn out here on TMC in this subform... with a "conversation" between people who are firmly entrenched on both sides of this discussion).

I said this in post #13 in this thread, and it has proven to be 100% correct. The thread title chosen invited a certain type of conversation. This thread was always going to turn out exactly how it has (which is, frankly how most of these threads turn out here on TMC in this subform... with a "conversation" between people who are firmly entrenched on both sides of this discussion).
Usually - the crashes are reported in the media and picked up here. This is a rare case where the person starts the post - but doesn't participate in the thread anymore - and deletes the video too.

Unfortunatley this sub-forum is hardly moderated. So, someone can just throw an inflammatory title and just disappear. If this person had started the exact same thread in the investor section - it would have been firmly dealt with by the mods.

Reading this thread, seeing the evidence and the following smoke screens, whataboutisms, diversions and attacks on the victims, I find it necessary to quote Nobel peace prize winner Maria Ressa: "Without facts, you can’t have truth. Without truth, you can’t have trust. Without trust, we have no shared reality, no democracy, and it becomes impossible to deal with our world’s existential problems:"
There is no "truth".

Exactly - we have not established fact - so not sure why everyone is jumping to conclusions - including saying things like "seeing the evidence and the following smoke screens, whataboutisms, diversions and attacks on the victims". We only have one message by an unknown person with zero history on this forum who wrote something and then disappeared, removed the video from Youtube.

The only "fact" we know of is after starting this thread OP is absconding. He visited the forum "Yesterday at 7:56 AM" - but didn't add any comments.

Reactions: bhzmark
What title would you recommend? It is o.k. to have different opinions. Sometimes I'll play the role of the devil's advocate to keep the conversation interesting.

What title would you recommend? It is o.k. to have different opinions. Sometimes I'll play the role of the devil's advocate to keep the conversation interesting.

Thats something I personally hate (posts made just to "keep the conversation interesting".... and thats "hate" with a capital HHHHAAAAATTTTTTTEEEEE), and see as trolling, but thats from a personal level. From a moderation perspective, it usually isnt trolling.

A Lot of people in this specific subforum seem to do exactly what you just said which is why I tend to avoid it, for the most part. As for 'what title would I recommend, I see this question as a "keep conversation going" one, and am going to bow out of that part of the conversation.

Thats something I personally hate (posts made just to "keep the conversation interesting".... and thats "hate" with a capital HHHHAAAAATTTTTTTEEEEE), and see as trolling, but thats from a personal level.
+1. This is exactly what brings down the SNR.

BTW, it is perfectly fine to play "devil's advocate". I'd just state it so clearly - so that we can discuss rationally and not just stir the pot.

Reactions: alexgr
Exactly - we have not established fact - so not sure why everyone is jumping to conclusions - including saying things like "seeing the evidence and the following smoke screens, whataboutisms, diversions and attacks on the victims". We only have one message by an unknown person with zero history on this forum who wrote something and then disappeared, removed the video from Youtube.

The only "fact" we know of is after starting this thread OP is absconding. He visited the forum "Yesterday at 7:56 AM" - but didn't add any comments.
We have quite a lot of evidence that FSD suddenly can't stay in lane or also steer towards oncoming traffic.

The consistent denial of FSD and AP shortcomings reminds me of the culture shown in "Chernobyl". It is disconcerting.