Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD Beta in the UK?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m surprised Tesla still get away with calling it FSD. it is not self driving now and whether it ever will be in the future has not been proved. Musk’s predictions and timelines have been disastrously wrong over and over again. To call vapourware that is apparently in permanent beta “full self driving “ is clearly farcical.

Reactions: Alwayshopeful
Especially when accompanied by that now infamous video.

I can't help but keep running Tesla's position through my head......

FSD, the whole concept of OTA updates, marketing by 'sound bite' / tweet / video clip and 3rd party inference especially when it relates to a pretty big divergence from normal cars is a scenario riddled with opportunity for constructive misdirection to Tesla's advantage.

I don't ever recall Tesla releasing a new (software) feature on the basis that it doesn't apply to cars prior to a certain date. Why would they, since it somewhat negates the OTA update message of 'always up to date'. Of course, the words are so ambiguous since they can be used to imply your car is kept in-line with current models, but if challenged, needs mean no more than 'your car has what it's entitled to' which is no different to most cars!

Since Tesla have complete control over OTA, while owners just 'accept on trust' it is far more useful for Tesla than guaranteed benefit to owners. Especially if you want to reach any kind of closure with purchased FSD. Almost the only sure thing you can cling to is that 'it' is called FSD!

The fact that OTA allows the time frame and obligations of 'delivery' to become so blurred that Tesla, left unchallenged, can act with impunity imo means that if they so chose, Tesla could kick the can down the road for a while then just claim 'that's it, you've got what you paid for'!

I'm not aware either of a location / market specific set of marketing claims. Only disclaimers. Disclaimers and small print are not the primary place to clearly set out what is being offered in a contract. So at the moment FSB's status and dicussion is often linked to the US only and based on US conventions.

Last edited:
I’m surprised Tesla still get away with calling it FSD...

I think thats the conclusion California have reached and why they're stopping them

I don't ever recall Tesla releasing a new (software) feature on the basis that it doesn't apply to cars prior to a certain date. Why would they, since it somewhat negates the OTA update message of 'always up to date'. Of course, the words are so ambiguous since they can be used to imply your car is kept in-line with current models, but if challenged, needs mean no more than 'your car has what it's entitled to' which is no different to most cars!
There are a few double negatives in your statement so not exactly sure which way you're leaning, but there are plenty of software updates that aren't in certain cars because of hardware limitations and where Tesla have chosen not to build for the older tech. While the cut off isn't an arbitary date, with the constant evolution of hardware there are plenty of effective cut over dates. It started with Sentry mode, but I'm fairly sure there have been a number since.

releasing a new (software) feature on the basis that it doesn't apply to cars prior to a certain date.

Sorry about multiple negatives!

Tesla don't say "latest remote viewing of video from app - only on cars post dd/mm/yy." They leave it to owners to guess what they might get and enthusiastic prospective owners to assume they get it all courtesy of OTA updates and endless misdirection.

Without OTA, the 'it's coming real soon' message isn't as plausible or alluring.

so not exactly sure which way you're leaning

Ahhh. The secret of relatively safe posting! ;)

Ambiguity is not the sole province of Tesla!

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: GeorgeSymonds
Some news today from
Elon via Twitter of course on Single stack in the EU :-
v11.3 (single stack) goes to limited beta this week. Probably 11.3.2 before wide release in North America.

Then we adapt for EU roads & submit to regulators. 90% of what we’ve done so far for NA applies WW.

Wonder what they have to submit.. what AP does on motorways is covered by existing legislation and we're a ways off something like FSD being allowed except for testing.
Maybe just improvements on EAP like auto lane change - it’s pretty shoddy at present with far too many suggested lane changes - I ignore most of them and stay in lane 3 of a 4 lane motorway (unless the inside lanes are really empty)

Reactions: Buzzliteyear
Some news today from
v11.3 (single stack) goes to limited beta this week. Probably 11.3.2 before wide release in North America.

Then we adapt for EU roads & submit to regulators. 90% of what we’ve done so far for NA applies WW.
I'm sure he promised "single stack" for wide release in NA 12 months ago

Some news today from

After years of Musk being disastrously wrong in his predictions and timelines for FSD does anyone believe or trust a word he says?

Wonder what they have to submit.. what AP does on motorways is covered by existing legislation and we're a ways off something like FSD being allowed except for testing.
Dunno. Maybe Type Approval? I guess if all our cars were no longer Type Approved as a result of OTA there would be issues? MOT failure? Insurance validity? If it no longer complied with its certificate of conformance Tesla might have a liability (think VW reprogramming and dieselgate).

Can someone please explain single stack here to a non software developer?

Im just a networking simpleton used to the OSI 7 layer model or “stack”🤣
At the moment in NA on FSDb they have one software stack in town and then that hands over to a different software stack on highways
The "plan" is to move the advanced town software to all roads, promised for early last year with 1 week of internal testing and one to the beta group - and here we are.

The single stack was originally known as Tesla vision, but that got used when he ran out of radars

I suspect they will need to apply to some government agency.

I worked on one of these sort of new parallel systems for the post Brexit world for licensing since you now need to do that kind of thing twice now, one for the EU and one for the UK.

A great money maker for me personally but I'll let you, as the tax payer, decide if it was a good use of public money or not...