Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD Beta in the UK?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had two AP1 cars and now on my second Tesla HW3 cars. I would say there was a lot right with AP1 for how I used it, lane changes worked, it followed the road, it could get confused in the rain, but as a driver aid on undemanding roads it worked really well. I've driven to the south of France and it just worked

I've never been a fan on any of the systems in busy traffic, say driving through the Birmingham motorway network, and I personally don't trust either enough. So in my case they're much of a muchness on the roads I would be tempted to use either.

The advantage AP1 had was the headllights auto dipped better, the autowipers worked better, lane change and summon was standard (albeit part of the then optional extra), Basic AP doesn't give those, and the uplift to EAP feels like daylight robbery for what you actually get.

referring back to Elon's "EU in summer 2022, Right hand drive markets a few months later"
I guess this means that there is no point hoping for FSD in UK until EU have it, after which we have to wait a few (Elon) months for the UK.

In the meantime the best we can hope for is the single stack software builds that should at least substantially improve the current mostly useless functionality.

Having driven Teslas since 2015, hand on heart I can say that the mobileye based AP1 is better (even if arguably less capable) to use than my current car with FSD is today. And for sure this is really very disappointing.

I need to change my car, and for the first time in years I am undecided (not the least that I couldn't even buy another model S in the UK now if I wanted to). Most perplexing.
I don't anticipate us getting the equivalent of FSD beta for several years. That'll probably be the case for Europe as well.

The UK isn't deviating from UNECE, and Tesla aren't interested in parallel development of FSD for markets have different rules to the US. One can argue either way about the "fairness" of that, but I can understand why Tesla wouldn't be interested in doing this.

All of that is to say that we'll get FSD beta at such point as its possible to comply with relaxed UNECE regulations with minimal effort, rather than because Tesla have developed a UNECE-compliant FSD beta in parallel to the US version.

Only thing that might change that is if we get a particularly motivated Transport Secretary, but even if that were the case the wheels of politics turn so slowly that I still think it would be years before anything changes (assuming a replacement government doesn't unwind it).

Reactions: Tomnook
All of that is to say that we'll get FSD beta at such point as its possible to comply with relaxed UNECE regulations with minimal effort, rather than because Tesla have developed a UNECE-compliant FSD beta in parallel to the US version.
The new UNECE DCAS regulation (dynamic control assistance system) that they're working on is basically UNECE's FSD Beta regulation. Might only be a year or so off, now, I think.

EDIT: Still very much a work in progress, but the latest draft DCAS regulation is here, if anyone is interested: https://wiki.unece.org/download/att...(Secretary) Draft Master Document.docx?api=v2

Last edited:
UNECE works like any committee.. a year off is optimistic. Any objections by any representative and it's pushed off to the next session whilst it's investigated. For something as complex as DAS I'd add at least another year to that.

The increased times for lane change still haven't been implemented and those were in the works before covid..

UNECE works like any committee.. a year off is optimistic. Any objections by any representative and it's pushed off to the next session whilst it's investigated. For something as complex as DAS I'd add at least another year to that.

The increased times for lane change still haven't been implemented and those were in the works before covid..
Fair point. And even if the DCAS regulation is finalised within a year, you can probably add another year for them to finalise the test procedure for validating that a car complies with the DCAS regulation - before which no cars can be approved for use anyway.

Reactions: CWT3LR
Well I think this piece of news throws the cat amongst the pigeons. I’m hoping Tesla might be getting this sorted. I really wouldn’t mind the ability to let go of the wheel, even if only on motorways.

Interesting that Ford have invested in whatever testing, is required, conversion to RHD, etc for a car that is not exactly a massive seller. And that they see no profit in pursuing level 4 or 5 ADAS. Level "2+" like this or level 3 seems to be the goal. Tesla might be playing catchup with the volume brands sooner than we think.

Hearing that government was cancelling smart motorways was a head-slap moment for me, as the data remains clear that they result in fewer (yet different) KSIs, yet it appears they have collapsed under public pressure. Of course it didn’t help that they weren’t set up with adequate monitoring.
Having swerved around a stationary car in lane 1 of a ‘smart’ motorway with no gantry signs illuminated I am happy the .gov have put a stop to the nonsense. M6 around Birmingham has a surprising number of bends. Hard shoulder’s provide a relatively safe space and I’ll take that over nothing. The cynic in me says they waited until they had done most of the main trunks anyway.

I bought a M3 LR at the weekend from a dealer who didn't know much about Teslas. Turns out it has FSD option included and so I thought I'd won the lottery having a £6,800 worth option for free, but reading these threads it seems that it is barely worth having for free, nevermind as a paid addition.

• Funny
Reactions: SteveH13 and goRt
Are you sure you have the FSD software and not just the FSD computer? Everyone in the UK has the FSD computer. Summon and Navigate on Autopilot are the way to tell.
Well not quite! Only if the car has USS. Cars without USS but with FSD paid for do not currently have summon. NoA though yes.
I guess if we assume that a used car is a bit older and likely to have USS then yes. :)

Reactions: NewbieT
Are you sure you have the FSD software and not just the FSD computer? Everyone in the UK has the FSD computer. Summon and Navigate on Autopilot are the way to tell.
339509652_933637761205941_8016034221490892291_n.jpg

Likely to have value when you sell the car (although previous owner presumably didn't push for that!), and if you own it for a while possible that FSD-abilities will come to UK shores.

The previous owner was a leasing company which I found odd because either they or the leasee must have paid for the option.

I can't use autopilot/FSD at the moment though as one of the cameras does not work - I just get a black screen from the offside repeater.

Likely to have value when you sell the car (although previous owner presumably didn't push for that!), and if you own it for a while possible that FSD-abilities will come to UK shores.
It seems that FSD adds virtually nothing to resale values, even if you sell your car back to Tesla.

I’ve had my M3P for almost four years now, and in that time there’s been no meaningful improvement in FSD. It’s still barely Level 2 automation and still needs hands on the wheel. Tesla seem completely uninterested in the UK market. I certainly wouldn’t waste my money on it again. Vapourware in permanent beta.