Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Update to an older version (2023.6.15) than is available for the car to download after FSD subscription

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey all,

I made newbie mistake in March and essentially subscribed to EAP because I was already on major version 2023. I've been eager to try FSD and it's now finally on 2023.6.15

I'm currently on 2023.6.11

Prior to re-subscribing two nights ago, the car was already telling me it was ready to install 2023.12. The car has _not_ started downloading that version, and I can be sure of that because I have to manually connect it to my hotspot

Can the car change the upgrade path to one with FSD beta now that I'm eligible for it? Or am I stuck with having to download 2023.12? has anyone gone through this before or have anything to share?

Worse case was factory resetting the car

Don’t listen to people who say they don’t know when more testers will get in. If your current version is behind the current FSD beta version, you can get in. I did. Just opt in to the FSD beta queue under the autopilot settings and make sure your update mode is on beta.

That said, the current version of FSD beta is 2022.45.15. That version you referenced is only available on employee cars right now I think. You can keep ignoring the update until they release it but it could be a while.

Upvote 0
There is not "In" to the FSD beta program anymore, it's open to everyone.

But, we have two different forks in software right now, the FSD and non-FSD. The non-FSD has a 2023 date and the FSD has a 2022 date. So AFAIK, at this point, you really can't go from non-FSD to FSD.
You'll need to wait for the FSD branch to catch up, which is hopefully soon. It's taking time to merge things.

Upvote 0

But, we have two different forks in software right now, the FSD and non-FSD. The non-FSD has a 2023 date and the FSD has a 2022 date. So AFAIK, at this point, you really can't go from non-FSD to FSD.
You'll need to wait for the FSD branch to catch up, which is hopefully soon. It's taking time to merge things.
You can if your car hasn’t been updated in a long time. As long as your current version is behind FSD version you can get in. I realize that’s unusual, but that’s exactly what this thread is about so to tell OP they’re not accepting new people is incorrect. For example, I bought my car used and it hadn’t been updated in a while and I was able to get in.

Upvote 0
You can if your car hasn’t been updated in a long time. As long as your current version is behind FSD version you can get in. I realize that’s unusual, but that’s exactly what this thread is about so to tell OP they’re not accepting new people is incorrect. For example, I bought my car used and it hadn’t been updated in a while and I was able to get in.
I think that's what he is saying. In other words: there is no more "waiting list / selection" to get into the beta program. If you want in...you are in. The only sticking point is what is the current software branch that you are on. If you are currently on 2023.x branch, even if you opt in...you will need to wait until the FSD branch catches up and is compatible.

• Helpful
Reactions: 02bluesuperroo
Upvote 0

This is kind of a half truth. Tesla is intentionally making it to where new testers cannot get into Beta due to the recall. They've stated this publicly and they are doing this by intentionally keeping it behind the main branch of software, but even when users had "old" software, there was a multiple month period where they couldn't download Beta because of the recall.

As they've always done in the past when ready for an influx of new testers, they will release a version that is inline with the majority of non-Beta testers, then let it fall back again. That could be 11.4.X, but no one knows.

Reactions: zazim
Upvote 0
I think that's what he is saying. In other words: there is no more "waiting list / selection" to get into the beta program. If you want in...you are in. The only sticking point is what is the current software branch that you are on. If you are currently on 2023.x branch, even if you opt in...you will need to wait until the FSD branch catches up and is compatible.
Yes, for the most part we're saying the same thing. It's simply the definition of what it means to be "in" the beta. They won't present your car with the FSD beta version just because you subscribed to FSD. You have to opt in to the FSD beta list. After you do that, you won't get the new version for a couple of days. When you do get the new version on your car, I consider that being let "in" the beta.

Upvote 0
This is kind of a half truth. Tesla is intentionally making it to where new testers cannot get into Beta due to the recall. They've stated this publicly and they are doing this by intentionally keeping it behind the main branch of software, but even when users had "old" software, there was a multiple month period where they couldn't download Beta because of the recall.

As they've always done in the past when ready for an influx of new testers, they will release a version that is inline with the majority of non-Beta testers, then let it fall back again. That could be 11.4.X, but no one knows.
V11.3.1 and above has release notes regarding the recall and its resolution and the wider releases including the current 11.3.6 all resolve the recall. Those releases date back to early March, so the recall hasn't been a thing for several months.
I'm pretty sure they haven't been using the influx of new tester method in a while. Folks can just choose to join and get the beta presuming their car can get it.
Here is a quick grab from from TeslaFi just now that shows Time, New Version, Old Version
Screenshot 2023-05-09 at 16.27.19.png

Very interestingly - I spotted this one which was very unexpected. Current thinking on TMC is that this isn't possible...
Screenshot 2023-05-09 at 16.27.23.png

Upvote 0
V11.3.1 and above has release notes regarding the recall and its resolution and the wider releases including the current 11.3.6 all resolve the recall. Those releases date back to early March, so the recall hasn't been a thing for several months.
I'm pretty sure they haven't been using the influx of new tester method in a while. Folks can just choose to join and get the beta presuming their car can get it.
Here is a quick grab from from TeslaFi just now that shows Time, New Version, Old Version
View attachment 936272

Very interestingly - I spotted this one which was very unexpected. Current thinking on TMC is that this isn't possible...
View attachment 936273
It's always been possible under special circumstances. There are 1 or 2 for every update, but the next rumored release is 2023.6.X, which is still behind the current majority.

I was just saying that's Tesla's way of limiting new testers.

Upvote 0

It's really a different thing.

Tesla is not intentionally making it harder. It's just a matter of timing.
Tesla had to get the NTSB recall out the door, as well as support for the removal of the ultrasonic sensors. They were in the middle of updating FSD and it wasn't ready for prime time. So they decided to take the non-FSD branch, update it and push it out to make the vast majority of owners happy.
Then the FSD branch became stable enough to ship, but it doesn't have the new stuff in it, but being about 6 months later than expected, it had to go out the door.

So now we are waiting for the branches to get merged again.

It's not really anyone's fault or intention, it's just reality kicking in.

This has NOTHING to do with the number of testers.

Reactions: 02bluesuperroo
Upvote 0