Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD Beta Videos (and questions for FSD Beta drivers)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Boy Tesla needs to really work on Signal Lights. Chuck you look like grandma :eek: when "you" turn on the left signal right after entering the construction site. Not only is the left lane coned off but it is also Yellow striped and you are driving with the signal on. Of course it does cut off when you start to enter the actual left turn lane.o_O And then cuts back on again.
Yea, the signals are all boinked up at the moment (and have been since the earliest FSD release). The seemingly simplest things always seem to represent some of the more difficult challenges when it comes to stuff like this.

Yea, the signals are all boinked up at the moment (and have been since the earliest FSD release). The seemingly simplest things always seem to represent some of the more difficult challenges when it comes to stuff like this.

Yea.. that darn signal keeps coming on an off for me in this build. I let it do what it does. If i turn it off each time you see it come on.. you would not be able to see what it was doing. So I let it ride.

#FSDBeta 6 2020.44.15.4
These are my own thoughts on what the FSD Beta is doing with the settings behind the scenes in light of the new information shared by @greentheonly on Twitter. I am not a ML or NN expert.
Interesting thought that the weights of each individual’s beta could be different. It would be one possible explanation in addition to or in lieu of different/better map data for why performance of the beta varies from person to person.

#FSDBeta 6 2020.44.15.4
These are my own thoughts on what the FSD Beta is doing with the settings behind the scenes in light of the new information shared by @greentheonly on Twitter. I am not a ML or NN expert.
While we don't know the answers your thoughts are very interesting.

I couldn't help but laugh when I applied your thoughts to the experience of other beta testers (and to you). We know that Elon has a sense of humor. Perhaps they will leave Brandon's 'lane meander' setting the same until the final release just to watch him twist in the wind. Dirty Tesla may be stuck with stopping at yield signs until the very end. Chuck, unfortunately you may be destined for 'left turns from hell' until all of us have the final release :).

Last edited:
I don’t think each driver get different weights or settings. I think the settings are for their own employees who test out different features during development. Once a features is deemed to be good enough it might be pushed out to all new releases. Some features might never be pushed out, they were just a try to see if it could work or if it was a bad idea.

As for the lane meandering it is not super clear what is the correct way ofdriving. Assume the lane is wide, where do you drive? To the left, to the right, in the middle? Safest is in the middle, so that is what the computer chooses to drive. Then a parked car is to the right, it decides to move to the left. Then again it is faced with the choice of where to drive. It again chooses the safest, in the middle. How fast should you correct this? Assume that a parked car happens every 10km, 1km, 100m or 10m. For the first 2 you would instantly go back and think it’s natural, for the latter two you would stay I assume. The computer seems to go back for the third also.

It is a trade off safety vs comfort. And during the beta the setting might be weighted towards safety rather than comfort. Thus a human feels the car drives unlike humans as a human would not care about safety that much. But it is not clear what is the correct way of doing it, there is no rule for how it should be done. Over time as the car decides that it can downprioritize safety and still be safe enough it will start to act more comfortable and might not meander for 500m or some other figure.

Last edited:
Navigating around garbage truck near stop sign - 2020.44.15.4 - 9 Dec 2020 - 0:34 - James Locke
** Very short video but I'll bet there will be varying opinions on how FSD handled this. **
Clearly FSD recognized that there was one more garbage can to pick up so it could safely go around. Amazing! :p
The only question is whether it would have gone around if the second bin had been blue?

Last edited:
Navigating around garbage truck near stop sign - 2020.44.15.4 - 9 Dec 2020 - 0:34 - James Locke
** Very short video but I'll bet there will be varying opinions on how FSD handled this. **

My interpretation is that the car saw that the garbage truck had hazards on, so it immediately went around it.

The way it interpreted the situation was very human-like, although that may have been by coincidence? It had to judge that the truck wasn't blocking the stop sign ahead, giving it enough room to turn back into the lane and stop at the sign.

My interpretation is that the car saw that the garbage truck had hazards on, so it immediately went around it.

The way it interpreted the situation was very human-like, although that may have been by coincidence? It had to judge that the truck wasn't blocking the stop sign ahead, giving it enough room to turn back into the lane and stop at the sign.

Yeah, I think it was just lucky here. The truck could have been just about to move and it would have gotten caught out. We saw the arm extending thus knowing the truck would be there a little bit longer. Do you think FSD knew?

You're not allowed to pass that close to an intersection either. It got away with it, but I don't think it really considered all the options. But yes, it did a good job in a questionable way.

Reactions: Electroman
Clearly FSD recognized that there was one more garbage can to pick up so it could safely go around. Amazing! :p
The only question is whether it would have gone around if the second bin had been blue?

It was definitely keeping track! It STILL KNEW after they were out of sight!!! Tricky problem; my yard debris bin is black too, but picked up by a different truck. I am confident that FSD will be able to handle the logic here. The perception is perfect. It will learn the standard San Diego garbage bin from the other bins, and adroitly choose the right maneuver. Amazing stuff. It can also use inference by checking the open/close status of other bins by type on the street. Will probably learn to do this itself.

;)

Last edited:
FSDBeta - U Turn
Lisa

Maybe a new Beta tester (and female too) and their first (short) video. Shows an X making U-turn. Not sure if using Navigation and not much narration or info. Hope to see more from this new??? tester.

Also looks like it was posted a few days ago (Dec 5) and only a few views.

Reactions: GlmnAlyAirCar
My interpretation is that the car saw that the garbage truck had hazards on, so it immediately went around it.....
This is a question I have been pondering. Does FSD actually take taillights, signal lights, brake lights and emergency flashers into account?

Also very likely the truck just rides through the neighborhood with them on and not an indication it is stopped and not about to start moving any second.

The garbage truck overtake was way too fast and should have been more cautious. FSD clearly treats the garbage truck like a parked car without consideration of addional hazard. If someone had stepped out from in front of the truck they wouldn't have stood a chance.

There's a whole category of vehicle where extra caution is needed when passing, and right at the top of that list is "any vehicle with active hazard lights"...

• Disagree
Reactions: wjax and powertoold
Dangerous Roundabout, Speed Bumps, Downtown, and more! FSD Beta 6 - 18:25 - Dirty Tesla

dirty Tesla has time stamps in his videos, so just going to mark down stuff that he didn’t mark.

5:35 - phantom braking event. Dropped from 35 to about 20 rapidly. Overridden by driver.

5:47 - car enters roundabout properly without coming to an unnecessary complete stop. Then it cuts from the wrong lane across to another improperly.

6:42 - tries to enter the center (non-driving) lane before reaching the roundabout. Disengage.

7:51 - either map data or gps was wrong and car struggled to resolve the difference. Disengage.

9:24 - car turns from the wrong lane.

11:22 - phantom braking event (car possibly saw the stop sign of a merging street?). Overridden.

12:05 - car comes to almost a complete stop after completing a right turn for no apparent reason. Overridden.

13:05 - timestamped in video already, but I wanted to mark this to see. Really good left turn at a stop sign where it saw the crossing cars before the driver did.

Dangerous Roundabout, Speed Bumps, Downtown, and more! FSD Beta 6 - 18:25 - Dirty Tesla
@DirtyT3sla If you're curious why FSD Beta got in the wrong lane here at 7th and Pauline, based on what we've learned from green's videos including the routing planner relying on map lane data:
pauline left.jpg
osm pauline.png

Here map data indicates there's only 2 lanes for this portion of 7th, and for most of the segment it is indeed 2 lanes except at the intersection where there's 2 for this direction and 1 for the oncoming traffic. So FSD beta's planning probably expected 1 lane, and given the odd sizing of the right lane sharing with the bike lane, the neural network predicting the most common straight path picked the wider left lane.

Whereas navigation (and FSD beta routing) knows to get in the right lane to continue left/straight-ish at 7th and Huron:
huron right.jpg
osm huron.png

Notice for the Huron intersection, OSM indicates not only there's 2 lanes in your direction ("backward" because the line internally has an orientation pointing south), it knows the left lane is for a "left" turn while the right lane is to go "through" and "right" turn.

So currently it seems like the road marking on the ground with arrows are visualized but not used for route planning. Even more complicated would be to understand the signs with lane arrows especially the odd one at Huron.

• Informative
Reactions: DirtyT3sla