Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD Beta Videos (and questions for FSD Beta drivers)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Dan D. is one of those cancel culture types. One fatality with Autopilot, ban it.

We understand your concern, but your solution isn't practical.

And yes, Tesla is taking a (calculated) risk here. Time will tell if they've correctly assessed it.

Nope, I'm a mechanical design engineer on our Quality & Safety team. I don't work on autonomous software though. AFAIK there have not been any fatalities with FSD and I'm not saying ban it. (yes Autopilot has had its share of accidents but I have made no comments regarding anything other than FSD)

My suggestions are to recognize risks and mitigate them where practical.

Nobody agrees to be hit by a drunk driver but it happens, perhaps every night. Nobody agrees to be a victim of road rage, but it happens.
Driving is dangerous. You can't remove the danger for the most part.
Driverless promises many advantages. To take the ultra paranoid approach that, oh my gosh somebody could die, even though it is a unlikely, is ridiculous. People are dying everyday. We should take steps to accelerate this technology, not slow it down as your posts suggest.

Read the NTSB report on the Uber crash:
https://ntsb.gov/investigations/AccidentReports/Reports/HAR1903.pdf
If you work backward by implementing the safety recommendations first there would have been no accident nor fatality. Uber failed to enforce a safety culture and committed many foreseeable faults. The fact they agreed with the NTSB report and implemented the changes post-accident shows their safety culture improved. Too late for Elaine.

If Tesla and others proved a stronger safety culture I would not be commenting.

Remember it took just one fatality to shut Uber down for a good long time. Tesla should implement real-time driver monitoring, long distance & persistent high-speed vehicle tracking for starters. Prove they have the split-second reactions then move on to lesser issues.

edit: added last sentence

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: WattPwr
...If Tesla and others proved a stronger safety culture I would not be commenting.
Tesla will have plenty of egg on their face with their claim safety is number one priority.
Q3 2018 Vehicle Safety Report
Tesla said:
...the safety of our customers is our top priority, ...
https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1329266129949380608?lang=en
Elon said:
Safety is our primary design goal
There has to be a balance for testing life saving technology and the risk that brings with testing that technology. If we are too slow, it costs lives, if we are too fast it costs lives. Testing on public roads with real people, collecting lots of data is the right balance.
I've been inside of Waymo and know what it means to have a safety culture. It means much less gets accomplished.

Last edited:
FSD beta 7 handling wet roads like a champ
Tesla Owners Silicon Valley

Runs a couple of red lights and doesn't use turn signal on at least 1 turn. Lots of herky-jerky moves too.

If going to try and go through a Yellow it should do what humans do and at least speed up a little through the light.

Screen Shot 2020-12-14 at 8.08.22 AM.png

This one is JUST bad.

Screen Shot 2020-12-14 at 8.09.17 AM.png

Last edited:

Runs a couple of red lights and doesn't use turn signal on at least 1 turn. Lots of herky-jerky moves too.

If going to try and go through a Yellow it should do what humans do and at least speed up a little through the light.

View attachment 617568

This one is JUST bad.

View attachment 617567
I definitely would’ve gone through that yellow as well with wet roads. The screenshot you took was a little misleading. The car entered the intersection with a yellow light. There was zero risk by going through that yellow. If anything, in my experience, there’s a great deal of risk to try and rapidly stop, especially if someone’s behind you and planning to run through as well.

The second red light was bad, but I’d be willing to bet he pushed the car through as he was annoyed with the busy intersection coming off the highway. The car even started to slow/stop. I wish he would’ve commented on it, but he typically doesn’t.

The video I watched showed a very functional version of Tesla FSD beta. Of course, there is work to be done.

Last edited:
After watching over two dozen videos, the results are in (in my mind):

- On city streets in slow moving conditions (less than 45 mph) it handles most situations like a champ. The perception and situational awareness is really good for slow speeds. Stop signs, red lights, right turns, protected left turns, round abouts, lane changes, parking lot maneuvers, passing parked cars, congested narrow streets - I would give it a B+. Unprotected left turns I would give a C- at low speed conditions (barely passing grade).

- Anything over 45 mph, things get a little iffy. Right turns get a passing grade only 50% of the time. Unprotected left turns simply doesn't work with fast cross traffic. Lane changes are not confident. I would give it a D- failing grade.

Now it is not clear to me whether the hardware can even see fast moving cross traffic in either directions at a fair distance, can judge the speed and has the processing power to take the right decision. Nothing that I have seen so far gives me the confidence. We will see.

• Informative
Reactions: heltok and Dan D.
I definitely would’ve gone through that yellow as well with wet roads. The screenshot you took was a little misleading. The car entered the intersection with a yellow light. There was zero risk by going through that yellow. If anything, in my experience, there’s a great deal of risk to try and rapidly stop, especially if someone’s behind you and planning to run through as well.

The second red light was bad, but I’d be willing to bet he pushed the car through as he was annoyed with the busy intersection coming off the highway. The car even started to slow/stop. I wish he would’ve commented on it, but he typically doesn’t.

The video I watched showed a very functional version of Tesla FSD beta. Of course, there is work to be done.
As I stated the first light was iffy and I would have gone BUT would have accelerated some so as not to get caught in red. The light turned red while the car WAS still in the intersection. That is technically running a light so you can be ticketed.

On the second light I must assume he didn't hit the accelerator since it did stay about the same speed and he did say it was "very good....left turn" post. It also did a "goofy" lane change right before the turn across a solid Line in a dangerous spot that is also technically illegal.

Not being overly critical since it was a little too passive in the early builds. Just pointing out what needs more "fine tuning".

• Disagree
I would have gone BUT would have accelerated some so as not to get caught in red… That is technically running a light so you can be ticketed.
It's amusing to me to see people make decisions balancing different levels of acceptable as technically speeding is also illegal. A couple different examples that are similar and different in various ways to the one here: sometimes people make a legal right turn then illegal U-turn then legal right turn to avoid waiting/running a red light or cutting through a corner parking lot to evade a no-right-on-red light (which is illegal in some places).

I would guess people are balancing what they perceive as likeliness-to-be-ticketed behaviors especially if "many others do it" although things like red light cameras can push people to feel like being even a little bit in the intersection when the light turns red is totally illegal.

So some people are more okay and others less okay, and it'll be an interesting problem for Autopilot coding in these policies worldwide. We've already seen special behaviors for "California Stops," where the threshold seems to be slowing down to 5mph if there are no other vehicles, and yes technically that would be illegal for not completely stopping.

It's amusing to me to see people make decisions balancing different levels of acceptable as technically speeding is also illegal......
Let me try to be more clear. Technically Tesla should not run red lights so it should have stopped for that light since it did NOT make it through. I was simply stated that if I was driving I would use some Tesla torque to get through it.

Last edited:
Technically Tesla should not run red lights so it should have stopped for that light since it did NOT make it through.
I would think Tesla is already trying to do that, but the tricky part is that yellow lights are not always the same amount of time. I believe officially in the US, the yellows should be between 3 to 6 seconds, so maybe Tesla just took the middle at 4.5 seconds. This particular yellow light was exactly 4 seconds, so half a second longer, Autopilot would have made the correct decision to maintain its speed through the intersection.

Even if we say Tesla reduced the expected yellow light duration to 4 seconds, there could be dynamic errors, e.g., intersection size is larger than predicted or current speed could not be maintained.

Have there been videos of what FSD beta does for a busy traffic light intersection where it enters on a green but traffic isn't moving, so the car ends up in the middle of the intersection through a yellow and red light. Some places there are signs explicitly saying not to block the intersection or only enter when clear, which could make the behavior more (? ;)) illegal than usual.

View attachment 617568

This one is JUST bad.

View attachment 617567

I disagreed with this post and then I saw that you randomly found some of my old comments in other threads about Premium Connectivity in Canada and you disagreed with them. Maybe you thought my disagreement with you was unfair and you sought retribution. Therefore, I will clarify and you can feel free to disagree with this post. I think the first picture you posted shows the car already within the junction before the light turns red. This is correct driving. The light corresponds to the stop line and not a vehicle already within the junction. In fact, if a vehicle is within the junction when a light turns red, the vehicle should leave the junction, if safe to do so. This is why I disagreed with you.

Edit: Congratulations. You have now found all of my other comments and disagreed with them.

Last edited:
Youtuber says that FSD beta does a much better job than regular autopilot on curvy twisty hilly road. I wonder if regular autopilot will get this improvement?
I'm hoping that us mere mortals will get a form of FSD soon that gives us all these benefits but then requires confirmation (via stalk or pedal) in order to make turns.

FSD is clearly better at general driving than AP so hopefully we see it very soon.