Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD Beta Videos (and questions for FSD Beta drivers)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would think Tesla is already trying to do that, but the tricky part is that yellow lights are not always the same amount of time. I believe officially in the US, the yellows should be between 3 to 6 seconds, so maybe Tesla just took the middle at 4.5 seconds. This particular yellow light was exactly 4 seconds, so half a second longer, Autopilot would have made the correct decision to maintain its speed through the intersection.

Even if we say Tesla reduced the expected yellow light duration to 4 seconds, there could be dynamic errors, e.g., intersection size is larger than predicted or current speed could not be maintained.

Have there been videos of what FSD beta does for a busy traffic light intersection where it enters on a green but traffic isn't moving, so the car ends up in the middle of the intersection through a yellow and red light. Some places there are signs explicitly saying not to block the intersection or only enter when clear, which could make the behavior more (? ;)) illegal than usual.

It could be running yellows based on a deceleration limit. I don't see a lot of hard stops at lights - which is very good that FSD keeps rolling rather than panic-stopping to avoid getting rear-ended. Most drivers would hit the gas then, to make it through. That isn't necessarily good as you might now be considered speeding or driving dangerously. It's a tricky balance for FSD and at the moment it seems to be aiming to avoid getting rear-ended, can't fault it for that.

Because it continues through at its cautious speed it's just drawing attention to the late yellow. I'm sure they will alter the balance a bit. Definitely it could stop for late yellows more.

Aside: If it tried this in Quebec you'd get creamed as the green light often has NO delay when the red light turns for the other direction. Don't ask me why.

It's amusing to me to see people make decisions balancing different levels of acceptable as technically speeding is also illegal. A couple different examples that are similar and different in various ways to the one here: sometimes people make a legal right turn then illegal U-turn then legal right turn to avoid waiting/running a red light or cutting through a corner parking lot to evade a no-right-on-red light (which is illegal in some places).

I would guess people are balancing what they perceive as likeliness-to-be-ticketed behaviors especially if "many others do it" although things like red light cameras can push people to feel like being even a little bit in the intersection when the light turns red is totally illegal.

So some people are more okay and others less okay, and it'll be an interesting problem for Autopilot coding in these policies worldwide. We've already seen special behaviors for "California Stops," where the threshold seems to be slowing down to 5mph if there are no other vehicles, and yes technically that would be illegal for not completely stopping.

It's amusing that they would have California Stops in the first place in a new piece of software they are trying to get regulators to like. When we all did our driving tests did you get a sense that the examiner was a fun person who enjoyed a good joke?

To the point that every single one of your posts bash FSD.

Yeah sorry.
FSD knocks it out of the park on unmapped roads. That's amazing stuff.
UI and giving constant updates are also impressive to the customer experience.
Pulling all the driving decisions from visual & radar sensors, and ultrasonic for the close stuff is also well done.
So yeah, I admire the tech and the daring. Keep it safe.

....I think the first picture you posted shows the car already within the junction before the light turns red. This is correct driving.....
Obviously you failed to read what I wrote. Here is every word about the first picture I wrote.

"If going to try and go through a Yellow it should do what humans do and at least speed up a little through the light."

While it may or may not have technically been a violation (bet a red light camera would have snapped it) and probably not likely to get pulled over the 2ed light is very clear. So saying you only really ran one red light on a drive is still not a good brag.

Clearly needs more fine tuning and not ready for wide release.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: serendipitous
Let me try to be more clear. Technically Tesla should not run red lights so it should have stopped for that light since it did NOT make it through. I was simply stated that if I was driving I would use some Tesla torque to get through it.
Ummm.... it was pointed on this thread or one of the related threads, that in many jurisdictions , if you are even one foot into the intersection when the light turns red, you are legal and cross traffic just has to deal with it. Didn’t know that, but apparently correct.

Beta 7 Update Brings Improvements FSD Beta! Downtown, Parking Lots, Roundabouts - 16:58 - Dirty Tesla
Amazing at residential streets (2020.48.10.1) - 9:06 - oisiaa
Some reason I really enjoyed these videos where new nearby random destinations are selected after completing the previous ~1mile trip. That behavior tends to result in more turns at intersections per distance traveled, so I suppose the concentration of interesting situations should be higher. Or maybe it's more of the driver intentionally "playing with" / pushing FSD beta to do more complicated tasks than mostly lane keeping to go straight (which is generally how roads / navigation routes are optimized for).

Not everyone has the opportunity or makes the effort to drive around without needing to get to some destination as quickly as possible, so it's nice to have this variety. Perhaps it's also the fact that DirtyTesla speeds up the video even for things like roundabouts now as FSD beta has improved so much that these "simple" cases are somewhat expected to be successful already.

Obviously you failed to read what I wrote. Here is every word about the first picture I wrote.

"If going to try and go through a Yellow it should do what humans do and at least speed up a little through the light."

While it may or may not have technically been a violation (bet a red light camera would have snapped it) and probably not likely to get pulled over the 2ed light is very clear. So saying you only really ran one red light on a drive is still not a good brag.

Clearly needs more fine tuning and not ready for wide release.

You have accused me of failing to read what you wrote. So, please humor me while I confirm the situation as the following:

1. Your photo is of the vehicle within the intersection after the light turned red.
2. You admit it may not have been "technically" a violation.
3. You want the vehicle to suddenly accelerate through the intersection because that is the way you drive.
4. You are worried about the safety of Tesla FSD but you ignore your own glaring bad driving habits.
5. If someone dares to disagree with you, you exact retribution by finding all of their posts and disagreeing with them.

OK. Now I fully understand.

Thank you so much to all of the FSD Beta testers and the Tesla team who don't think like this. Thanks to everyone who understands that the risk of not attempting these new technologies is far greater than the risk of attempting them.

Humanity really needs Mars.

Reactions: serendipitous
You have accused me of failing to read what you wrote. So, please humor me while I confirm the situation as the following:

1. Your photo is of the vehicle within the intersection after the light turned red.
2. You admit it may not have been "technically" a violation.
3. You want the vehicle to suddenly accelerate through the intersection because that is the way you drive.
4. You are worried about the safety of Tesla FSD but you ignore your own glaring bad driving habits.
5. If someone dares to disagree with you, you exact retribution by finding all of their posts and disagreeing with them.

OK. Now I fully understand.

Thank you so much to all of the FSD Beta testers and the Tesla team who don't think like this. Thanks to everyone who understands that the risk of not attempting these new technologies is far greater than the risk of attempting them.

Humanity really needs Mars.

1. I did not Photoshop or alter the pic. it is what happened and you can see it yourself by watching the video.
  2. Yes
  3. Yes or better yet for Tesla to stop
  4. Yes but we can't all be 100% perfect, 100% law abiding drivers.
  5. You may want to check that since the only Disagrees are from YOU.

Without the radar, I think FSD beta still has issues identifying oncoming cars, especially if they're partially occluded. It doesn't recognize the car on the left here:

Screen Shot 2020-12-14 at 8.47.33 PM.png

hmm, is that vehicle the field of view? maybe it got blinded. Also, I was very confused by this image, to me it looked like that vehicle was outside of the roadway.

I think Tesla's intention is to perceive all cars on the road with FSD beta, but the perception for oncoming cars isn't above "human" level yet, a reason why unprotected lefts with cross traffic is still bad:

Screen Shot 2020-12-14 at 9.07.18 PM.png

Quick Target Run TESLA FSDBETA 2020.48.10.1 - 10:32 - Brandonee916

9:57 - pedestrian hidden behind some objects on the sidewalk suddenly appears as the car turns right. Honestly not sure what the car should have done. Slamming on the brake (the car did see the pedestrian) might have caused a rear ender and it did look like the car had the space even if it probably scared the pedestrian a bit. Can’t really blame the car here since the pedestrian was so hidden until the last second as the car was actually turning that Brandon didn’t even see him.

Reactions: n.one.one