Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD Beta Videos (and questions for FSD Beta drivers)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
#FSDBeta 8 2020.48.12.15
Christmas morning drive with commentary. The FSDBeta team is not getting the push of the current Christmas build (2020.48.26) that is going out now.

Increasing frustration on my part as I don’t see the FSD beta expanding at all. The 2020.48.26 is IMO just fluff not improved driving skills.

We’ve been teased with V11 and FSD in 2020. I may have to stop reading the forums since it increases expectations that don’t get resolved.

So far Pandemic Christmas is not improved with Tesla updates.

Unless there ARE more FSD beta testers this week?

Two steps forward, one step backwards. That’s the dance of beta testing. Some fixes are more data, some fixes are bugfixes, some fixes are new control policy, some fixes are labelling instructions. Expect it to be messy, but also expect progress over time...
Not seeing much, if any progress on unprotected lefts with any kind of traffic. It screws those up in many, varied ways, some more dangerous than others (waits too long - which is the safest option, but majorly annoying to drivers behind, goes when there isn’t gap - dangerous, goes but then hesitates and slows to a crawl or stops entirely in the intersection - dangerous). Rapidly losing hope for a general release anytime soon, unless Tesla is just addressing other issues and hasn’t been working on those yet and we see a sudden major improvement when Tesla starts. Or Tesla has the general release require confirmation from the driver for unprotected lefts, or even goes the UPS route and changes their FSD nav software to try to eliminate left turns entirely.

I would be ecstatic if two steps forward one step back was the norm. That would at least be consistent forward progress. From the vids I’ve seen, it’s more one step forward, two steps back, then two steps forward, one step back, or two steps forward on and a half step back. It looks like they’ve really started spinning their wheels recently. Hopefully future vids with a slightly larger user base show some nice leaps.

#FSDBeta 8 2020.48.12.15
Christmas morning drive with commentary. The FSDBeta team is not getting the push of the current Christmas build (2020.48.26) that is going out now.

12:35 - car completely misses a knocked over trash can in the middle of the turn lane and starts changing lanes straight at it. Not really directly dangerous, I guess, since a plastic trash can isn’t life threatening to the occupant of the car, but certainly could indirectly cause a major accident if the car hit the trash can and spun it into the middle of the intersection and scared an oncoming driver into a major swerve and then over correction.

Increasing frustration on my part as I don’t see the FSD beta expanding at all. The 2020.48.26 is IMO just fluff not improved driving skills.

We’ve been teased with V11 and FSD in 2020. I may have to stop reading the forums since it increases expectations that don’t get resolved.

So far Pandemic Christmas is not improved with Tesla updates.

Unless there ARE more FSD beta testers this week?

At least one person on reddit got added to the beta, but that person is banging someone at Tesla and has a new Model 3. Those of us who paid years ago and don't have connections at Tesla continue to be treated like the suckers we are.

At least one person on reddit got added to the beta, but that person is banging someone at Tesla and has a new Model 3. Those of us who paid years ago and don't have connections at Tesla continue to be treated like the suckers we are.
FSD isn’t ready to be released, period. Tesla isn’t gating this just to be mean, they’re gating it because if they didn’t, property would be damaged and worst case people would die and Tesla would catch all of the flack. The risk then would be the government stripping not only FSD but even current AP from our cars, IMO.

FSD isn’t ready to be released, period. Tesla isn’t gating this just to be mean, they’re gating it because if they didn’t, property would be damaged and worst case people would die and Tesla would catch all of the flack. The risk then would be the government stripping not only FSD but even current AP from our cars, IMO.

perhaps so, but the fact of the matter is that adding new customers to the beta instead of finding testers in the large pool of those who paid years ago is an absolute slap in the face. Tesla made the DECISION to use new customers. They made the DECISION to allow those customers to show off the beta instead of keeping it quiet, and that showing off is just rubbing it in the faces of those who paid for FSD over *four years ago*!

Tesla’s contempt for their most loyal customers is sad... and it is their DECISION, so we shouldn’t cut them even the tiniest bit of slack.

Seriously? You are assuming the triggers can match specific FSDBeta testing. No way. Even in these handful of videos we are seeing 100s of variables from angles of the intersect to trees+bushes to speed of traffic+congestion in certain areas. There are 1000s and 1000s of corner cases that make them unique.

The ideal test are letting FSDBeta incrementally get better while comparing what the "FSD system" is doing/want_to_do compared to what the actual human thinks should be done in those 1000s of unique cases. Human overrides and/or just provides feedback with a push of the button.

What I am saying is that almost every unprotected left turn results in the car slowing down and nearly stopping 20% through the turn and in the lane of traffic. They are not corner cases—it happens almost everywhere.

Tesla should be addressing that kind of stuff before opening the beta up to people outside Tesla.

Reactions: Matias and DanCar
Are you saying we can't trust people to monitor the car? What if we Tesla makes people who want to activate it, sign a liability waiver? Would that make a difference?

perhaps so, but the fact of the matter is that adding new customers to the beta instead of finding testers in the large pool of those who paid years ago is an absolute slap in the face. Tesla made the DECISION to use new customers. They made the DECISION to allow those customers to show off the beta instead of keeping it quiet, and that showing off is just rubbing it in the faces of those who paid for FSD over *four years ago*!

Tesla’s contempt for their most loyal customers is sad... and it is their DECISION, so we shouldn’t cut them even the tiniest bit of slack.

Pretty much this.

Remember when papa Elon said everyone who paid for FSD early will be part of EAP?

How's that working out?

#FSDBeta 8 version 2020.48.12.15
This is another drive with a second GoPro mounted on the B Pillar showing the viewing angles in addition to the BirdsEye render of oncoming traffic and intersection mapping.

Thanks for all the thought and effort you've put into these videos.

Do you happen to know what the field of view is for the gopro you are using to simulate the b-pillar camera? And have you tried to angle it forward as the b-pillar camera is? It seems to be angled 20 degrees forward.

Last edited:
Reactions: n.one.one
View attachment 620779

Distance is ~21.6m = ~70.9ft
Assume car is going to stop in the safe spot to wait for a merging opportunity (worst case)
Assume constant acceleration at 2.9/2 seconds then constant deceleration at 2.9/2 seconds to make it simple.
Speed from rest to 70.9/2 ft in 2.9/2 seconds is 48.9 ft/s == 33.3mph
Acceleration from rest to 33.3mph in 1.45 seconds is 0.72g. Deceleration is also 0.72g

Any errors please let me know.

This is another drive with a second GoPro mounted on the B Pillar showing the viewing angles in addition to the BirdsEye render of oncoming traffic and intersection mapping.
Another well done and substantive video from @Chazman92 ...thanks Chuck.
@Dan D. - Any chance you could work your magic again based on this screenshot at 2:13? Would you be willing to:
  • Estimate the distance based on where the oncoming car is relative to the trees in the median (and allow the Tesla a few frames to calculate speed)
  • Calculate max speed needed and g force as you did before
Thanks to Chuck's testing there may be more hope for handling this type of edge case. While there are many minor items to rectify in FSD beta it has become clear from Chuck's work as well as drives by other testers that unprotected left turns appear to be the most prevalent, the most dangerous, as well as perhaps the most difficult to solve. @Dan D. I hope you have some promising news for us.
Screenshot Chuck B pillar distance 2020-12-26 125022.jpg

I took a snapshot from this video to see how far ahead of the B Pillar camera eye the human eye would be if you just turned your head to the left (without leaning forward). Looks like 1 ft to me.
At 262 ft (80 meters) I'm not sure how much this 1 ft matters tho.
https://i.imgur.com/deMVCT9.jpg
deMVCT9.jpg

Last edited: