Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD is worth the price. Change my mind.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So that when I'm intentionally changing lanes, I don't have to jerk the wheel to the side to disengage autosteer. As it stands, it's an unnecessarily jerkyt maneuver.

Ah, makes sense. My AP1 will lane change when I signal, so not really something I've thought about. Though, when I want to disengage I just hit the AP stalk. Hasn't really ever bothered me.

Tesla exploits its sheep-like customers. I can't think of any other company that would be able to sell a service that does not exist based on a representation that it is "coming soon" or whatever. Not even Apple. Reasonably thinking people would just say: I'll buy it when it's out and I can check the reviews. There is no good-faith reason for Tesla to be selling FSD when it's not ready. I can't think of a single argument for why it makes sense. Anybody want to provide an explanation for why Tesla shouldn't wait until FSD is ready before selling it?

Tesla exploits its sheep-like customers. I can't think of any other company that would be able to sell a service that does not exist based on a representation that it is "coming soon" or whatever. Not even Apple. Reasonably thinking people would just say: I'll buy it when it's out and I can check the reviews. There is no good-faith reason for Tesla to be selling FSD when it's not ready. I can't think of a single argument for why it makes sense. Anybody want to provide an explanation for why Tesla shouldn't wait until FSD is ready before selling it?
Er, for the money? All they have to do is deliver something that the tax authorities like to recognize that as revenue.

There is no good-faith reason for Tesla to be selling FSD when it's not ready. I can't think of a single argument for why it makes sense. Anybody want to provide an explanation for why Tesla shouldn't wait until FSD is ready before selling it?
So says someone who joined TMC this year.

Without selling FSD in the past, Tesla may have gone bankrupt. Remember just 2 years back Tesla almost went bankrupt - and Musk wanted to sell Tesla to Apple. But Tim Cook wouldn't take the call.

Without selling FSD in the past, Tesla may have gone bankrupt. Remember just 2 years back Tesla almost went bankrupt - and Musk wanted to sell Tesla to Apple. But Tim Cook wouldn't take the call.
I don’t think this is true. If the product isn’t delivered Tesla cannot recognize the revenue for FSD sales and as far as I know they still can’t today though that may change shortly. I really don’t think FSD sales saved Tesla from bankruptcy but you may have more details than I.

I don’t think this is true. If the product isn’t delivered Tesla cannot recognize the revenue for FSD sales and as far as I know they still can’t today though that may change shortly. I really don’t think FSD sales saved Tesla from bankruptcy but you may have more details than I.
You really have no idea - do you ?

Problem is cash. Not profits.

Reactions: t3sl4drvr
Yes, Tesla's FSD tech has always been a selling point, however, I thought the founders of Google had an outstanding offer to buy Tesla from Elon and then there was the Saudis (and $420). I wonder who else was sniffing around Tesla.

Elon might have wanted to talk to Tim Apple, but who knows if he would have actually sold. Tim's done incredibly well heading Apple, but it might be one of those Yahoo passing on Google for $1M moments.

In any case, Tesla has hit escape velocity and revenues won't be a problem. I think even TSLAQ has retired their imminent bankwuptcy meme.

Elon might have wanted to talk to Tim Apple, but who knows if he would have actually sold. Tim's done incredibly well heading Apple, but it might be one of those Yahoo passing on Google for $1M moments.
Yes - my guess is Elon was kind of "ok" having Apple invest - but would have wanted to retain control etc. Either way - he probably thought Apple 's product philosophy matched Tesla's (afterall Tesla has essentially used Job's playbook).

Reactions: mark95476
Yup. There's absolutely no way Elon was giving up control.

An Apple investment, or even a strong rumor, probably would have sent TSLA stock skyrocketing. Just imagine where Tesla would be now if they had Apple's resources and expertise on the ASIC/chip, TSMC allocation and process, SW, and IT infrastructure.

That's assuming they had isolated/silo'd to mitigate any culture clash. Of course, it'd be a very Silicon Valley thing if something like this absolutely cratered Tesla.

Yes - my guess is Elon was kind of "ok" having Apple invest - but would have wanted to retain control etc. Either way - he probably thought Apple 's product philosophy matched Tesla's (afterall Tesla has essentially used Job's playbook).

So I pick up MYLR in 5 days and it has FSD. I'm really wondering whether I am wasting 10k. Trying to do some research on what I get for the $. The wife really wants all the autonomous capability available as she will be primary driver. But if they aren't offering it right now, why pay the 10k? Not even sure I can remove it at this point. Maybe b/c just software I'm told. But have a tough (or easy) decision to make in the coming days. Thank you all for the responses. Great info on this site. Learning a lot. If I didn't have FSD can I add it down the road if it gets better? I've heard about the monthly subscription, but have not seen it anywhere official. Is that a real thing? $200/month for FSD? So, in 4+ years, I'd hit the 10k mark if I paid monthly.

So I pick up MYLR in 5 days and it has FSD. I'm really wondering whether I am wasting 10k. Trying to do some research on what I get for the $. The wife really wants all the autonomous capability available as she will be primary driver. But if they aren't offering it right now, why pay the 10k? Not even sure I can remove it at this point.

Speaking from first hand experience, you will get little or no return to your 10k. I would advice to do whatever it takes to cancel the purchase.

Subscribe after FSD is generally available (likely will take years).

My question stems from a somewhat off-topic discussion in the "Model X Refresh Waiting Room" thread that many seem to have strong opinions on one way or another. I wanted to break this off into a separate discussion to stay on topic.

In my opinion, FSD is worth the price you pay for the Model X. (Specifically the X)

I don't believe it is accurate to look at FSD as full autonomy, or assume you will ever obtain it in the lifetime of the car. Look at it from the perspective of paying $10,000 to add a feature set:
  • Lane changes on highway (overtake slower cars)
  • On and Off ramps for highway
  • App summoning features - drive/navigate through a parking lot
  • Use the key fob to drive the car forwards and backwards (useful for tight spaces or when over a deep puddle)
  • Autopark
  • Stop sign and stop light aware stopping
  • Future release - additional options at a later date (likely more within your span of ownership)
  • Raised value - Remember when FSD was $5,000 in May of 2019? In under 3 years I added $5k of value to my 2017 X (market inflation set aside)
For me, considering the already overly-elaborate car we are buying.. adding this set of features for less than 9% of my car's configuration is an easy decision to make.

Don't think of FSD as full autonomy - otherwise you will be disappointed and disgruntled. Maybe it is better renamed "Premium Autonomous Features".

People seem to have some compelling arguments in both directions. I am curious to hear. :)
It's essentially enhanced autopilot. Musk mislabeled it FSD and over-promised, as he often does. If I have to keep my hands on or near the wheel, it's not worth the price to me.

Reactions: dbldwn02
Speaking from first hand experience, you will get little or no return to your 10k. I would advice to do whatever it takes to cancel the purchase.

Subscribe after FSD is generally available (likely will take years).
I think she will love the added features of FSD. Make sure you have the insurance score set up on your app. Doing so will allow you to request the beta version of FSD (City Streets), if you can maintain a score of 98 or better. Check out some videos of FSD on YouTube. AIDRIVR (this is not misspelled) is particularly good.