Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD not activating after 2022.20.18 update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Last night my car updated to 2022.20.18. When I got in to drive 400 miles home, FSD will not activate. No visualizations. No cruise control. I have rebooted the car multiple times. I have powered off the car. I have charged the car. Not sure what to do.

Sounds like a bug. When you say “powered off”, do you mean you got out, no sentry mode nor 3rd party apps polling/waking the car, no tesla app for at least 20 mins so that the car sleeps? If not, try that. Also check autopilot menu section for any messages or indications of why it’s not functioning. Like maybe cameras require recalibration, or settings switched off/reset after the update?

2022.20.17. I have been using FSD fine with no problems for a couple of weeks now I use it all day yesterday without a problem.
Ok. Check the settings under Autopilot, make sure it is still active under your driver profile. Mine worked fine jumping between 20.17 and 20.18 on my 2022, but something is not set on yours. I suppose a reboot might help, although I didn't have to do that to mine either.

I finally got FSD and visualizations to come back. When I stopped in Lake Charles, LA, at the Supercharger, after I got the car charging, I went into SAFETY settings and powered the car off while it was charging. Charging completed in a little over 15 minutes. When I got back in the car and woke it up. I held down the brake and held down the 2 buttons on the steering wheel while the car rebooted. Once the screen came back up and took a few minutes for the mobile LTE to reconnect, etc., I set my destination for home. When I put the car in drive, FSD visualizations came back up. Since I had already rebooted the car 6 times previously in the last 2 hours, I assume the "sleep" for 15 minutes was the reason the FSD computer came back on. The only thing that was different about this reboot was that I held down the brake while holding down the 2 steering wheel buttons. While I was waiting for the charge, I saw a video that said there was a difference between just holding down the 2 buttons to reboot, and holding down the brake and the 2 buttons at the same time to reboot. I had not heard that before but I was desperate so I tried it. It worked and in the end that is all I care about. The almost 2 hours I drove without cruise control was highly annoying but at least I had it for the last 2.5 hours of the drive.

• Informative
Reactions: TresLA
After install: My backup camera doesn’t work ever (side repeaters show after loading for ~10 seconds). Never had this issue before.

Also: TACC/AP/FSD won’t activate at all every other drive (have only done 2 short round trips since install). FSD visualization will sometimes show even if I can’t activate Cruise/AP/FSD.

Cool :/

I have a 30 mile each way commute each day, of which a long stretch of 26 miles is on a 3-lane toll road. FSD has 2022.20.17 did good on it but I can see a noticeable improvement in 2022.20.18. It's more responsive and smoother in more cases. Today after work I had to go from the office to an appointment 34 miles away. Everything was going great with FSD. Drove smoothly on the Sam Houston Tollway. FSD even had great handling on the flyover to I-10 and exited on to the frontage road...AND THEN the FSD computer had a malfunction. I got the klaxon warning and the RED steering wheel to "take over immediately". The visualization screen was going bezerk. Then a banner that FSD had malfunctioned. But in about a minute it all came back. I did a hard reboot once I was parked (brake + 2 buttons). No issues on the drive home in heavy traffic. Obviously some bugs to work out.

Anyone else had this lock out their FSD/AP/CC?

It tells me it’s not available, no visualizations, nothing….
Sounds like you're having a hardware issue with the cameras. I had one of the blind spot (repeater) cameras go out on me once. The only way to bring it back up was to power off the car completely.

Try taking your car home, and disable Sentry Mode. This will let the car go into a deep sleep, disconnecting the main battery pack. Wait a few hours (I left mine overnight), and when you boot the car back up, see if the cameras start working correctly.

If not, open a service ticket with Tesla and let them know your cameras are not working.

I've been reading that reinstalling the firmware fixes this issue. You have to put the car in service mode first. Go to the menu > Software> long press your Model [x] logo for 3 sec. enter "service" when prompted. Once in service mode, there's a button to reinstall firmware.

On the same screen, there's a button to exit service mode.

Thanks for everyone for the suggestions (sleeping the car; service mode). I have since tried them all.

Current summary... I have now:
* recalibrated AP cameras - this was completed, but did not change car's functioning
* de-selected AP/FSD/Betas/etc & re-selected them: these toggled successfully, but did not change car's functioning
* gone into Service mode and re-installed current firmware: no improvement

Bigger issue now my Charging Port locking pin is permanently up. Manual release in trunk will not move it. It appears the car tries to lower the pin every ~3-4 seconds when the charge port is opened. Even shows "unlock port" on the screen for a second or two, every 3-4. Nothing seems to work! (Screen, charge cable, iOS app, nothing)

My car is sitting my garage with ~25%SoC, and it takes 22% to get to the local Service Center at 15-mph under the speed limit. This should be fun.

This could all be a coincidence, but ALL these problems started after 2022.20.18. Seems to have possibly really screwed up the functioning my car. Not happy about it, needless to say. I have an appointment for mid-week, but will try to limp the car there today as I'm worried phantom drain will sap the energy I need to successfully drive there. (trying to avoid a flatbed for numerous reasons).

I have had this issue for few weeks now. It started early November - now almost 6 weeks. I tried all the reboots and reinstalls - the issue is very consistent - works for 20 min the. Goes off until I do an overnight charge then we are back at it again for 20 min. I had an appointment for mid December - Tesla moved it to January because it was not critical… total BS. Also the TPM system now does not work - I think this is all related to either new build and incompatible hardware or some memory leak but it is totally useless. I forever FSD 98% of the time and not having it is very very annoying since I am fully depended on the main selling point of Tesla bs any other electric vehicle.

I have had this issue for few weeks now. It started early November - now almost 6 weeks. I tried all the reboots and reinstalls - the issue is very consistent - works for 20 min the. Goes off until I do an overnight charge then we are back at it again for 20 min. I had an appointment for mid December - Tesla moved it to January because it was not critical… total BS. Also the TPM system now does not work - I think this is all related to either new build and incompatible hardware or some memory leak but it is totally useless. I forever FSD 98% of the time and not having it is very very annoying since I am fully depended on the main selling point of Tesla bs any other electric vehicle.
When was your car built? My last update appears to have broke my car too. This isn’t the first time my autopilot quit working after an update. The other four times a fix was pushed to my car fairly quickly. This time the service rep I have doesn’t seem like he’s trying to help much. I’ve canceled the appointment twice trying to get someone different but I keep getting the same guy. He says I have to bring it in and sent me an estimate for $1800 for a new FSD computer. I had a hardware three computer installed a couple of years ago with my FSD purchase. I don’t trust this guy.

Reactions: markn455
Sounds like I have a similar, but maybe more weird issue...

FSD will work fine for some time after I start the drive (time varies, between 5 - 60 min as I have observed so far), then after one disengagement, it won't let me engage again if speed is over 28 km/h (17 mph), consistently for the rest of the trip. The grey steering week and speed limit sign will not appear. And if I try to engage, it gives me warning that "Autosteer temporarily unavailable". It would allow me to engage FSD when speed goes lower than 28 km/h, but FSD will behave weried - when it try to make a lane change to follow route, it will turn on turn signal but won't make the actual lane change completely; it drives super slow for no reason... Basically not usable.

When the issue happens, FSD visualization was fine, and I could also engage regular Autopilot by disabling FSD in menu.

I checked in Service Mode, the FSD cameras and sensors are all showing as in Green status. The only alerts I saw was "PM_w041_dasMIA" and "THC_w0122_condLeftShutrNoFeedbk".

The issue would go away if I left the car parking for sometime, then it might come back again randomly in next drive. It's been doing this for last couple weeks.

I have tried the following but no avail:
- Restart car
- Recalibrate camera (car was fine for 2 days, then bad again)
- Reinstall software in service mode
- Reset DAS in service mode (car was fine for 2 days, then bad again)

My car is 2017 Model S, originally with HW2.5 (now with MCU 2 upgrade and HW3 upgrade)
Current FSD version: 2022.44.30.5

Last edited:
Have had similar issues since gaining access to FSD Beta last year. The issues seems to be intermittent for me. Sometimes it will work appropriately, then other times all autopilot functions (autosteer, tacc, fsd) will be disabled. Does not seem to be any rhyme or reason for when it will or won't work. We have taken the car into the service center maybe 2 or 3 times for this issue and it always takes them forever to address. They try to claim they can't recreate the issue since it happens sporadically and we tell them to just keep trying because we're not picking it up until it's fixed. They also try to give an exorbitantly high estimate to fix which we have gotten them to remove by complaining that we paid for FSD and this issue is persistent and we shouldn't have to keep paying for them to fix it every few months. They do get it functioning again whenever we get the car back, but it just ends up happening again after a few months. We've gotten to the point where we're so tired of dealing with the service center that we just deal with it and are happy when fsd is working. Definitely not ideal and extremely frustrating since even regular TACC and autosteer won't work when the issue occurs, but nice to see the issue seems more widespread. Never had this issue before joining the FSD beta program. Hopefully this will get better with time.

2017 Model X on v 2022.44.25.5

Have had similar issues since gaining access to FSD Beta last year. The issues seems to be intermittent for me. Sometimes it will work appropriately, then other times all autopilot functions (autosteer, tacc, fsd) will be disabled. Does not seem to be any rhyme or reason for when it will or won't work. We have taken the car into the service center maybe 2 or 3 times for this issue and it always takes them forever to address. They try to claim they can't recreate the issue since it happens sporadically and we tell them to just keep trying because we're not picking it up until it's fixed. They also try to give an exorbitantly high estimate to fix which we have gotten them to remove by complaining that we paid for FSD and this issue is persistent and we shouldn't have to keep paying for them to fix it every few months. They do get it functioning again whenever we get the car back, but it just ends up happening again after a few months. We've gotten to the point where we're so tired of dealing with the service center that we just deal with it and are happy when fsd is working. Definitely not ideal and extremely frustrating since even regular TACC and autosteer won't work when the issue occurs, but nice to see the issue seems more widespread. Never had this issue before joining the FSD beta program. Hopefully this will get better with time.

2017 Model X on v 2022.44.25.5
Double check your tire pressure. I noticed by always keeping tire pressure at the suggested level, it helps reduces the probability of the FSD issue occurring in my car.