Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD now $99 a month

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

boonedocks

MS LR Blk/Blk 19”
May 1, 2015
Gainesville GA
Well I guess I’ll have to subscribe now since I have been bitc&$ing about it being too high.

I kept saying “I would pay $99 a month” and now it is 🤷🏻‍♂️

IMG_1599.png

This will be like Starlink. Low entry price, then they will raise it over time.

If you want the locked in price, you buy it but at this new monthly pricing and the fact that FSD doesn't follow you from car to car makes buying it a losing proposition for now.

Reactions: fholbert
Who would ever buy it for $12k when you can subscribe for $99 monthly? $12k is like prepaying for 10 years worth of subscription pricing.

The fundamental difference between an outright purchase and a subscription is that the price of the subscription can change anytime. An outright purchase is basically a hedge against future price increases. If FSD keeps improving, I expect the subscription price to go back up, nudging users to go the purchase route. For now, a subscription obviously makes way more sense.

The inability to use TACC alone makes this a non-starter for me. Yes, this can be gotten around using two profiles. And while that is fine when evaluating it is not a good option for mainstream use.
I have enjoyed good’ole tried true AutoPilot so much on my 2021 S that I may not do it either after trying out V12.X. I have been able to cover my interior camera with electrical tape and not be nagged every time I look at the MCU.

I would actually pay $99 a month for none of those nags 😂🤣

• Funny
Reactions: ATPMSD
An outright purchase is basically a hedge against future price increases.

The real decision point is how long will you keep the car? The break even point when it was $199 / month (at $12,000 for FSD) was 5-years, at $99 / month it is now 10-years. So yes, Tesla can raise the price, but unless someone plans to keep the car 5+ years it really does not appear to make sense to buy FSD.

The real decision point is how long will you keep the car? The break even point when it was $199 / month (at $12,000 for FSD) was 5-years, at $99 / month it is now 10-years. So yes, Tesla can raise the price, but unless someone plans to keep the car 5+ years it really does not appear to make sense to buy FSD.

I think you should also include the re-sale value of FSD. Even if you keep the car for less than 5 years, it's not like when you sell the car back FSD doesn't add anything. Theoretically, the break-even period should be approximately the lifetime of the vehicle which is at least 10 years. If we believe Elon Musk's claims, the lifetime of a modern Tesla can be 30 years.

I think you should also include the re-sale value of FSD. Even if you keep the car for less than 5 years, it's not like when you sell the car back FSD doesn't add anything. Theoretically, the break-even period should be approximately the lifetime of the vehicle which is at least 10 years. If we believe Elon Musk's claims, the lifetime of a modern Tesla can be 30 years.

You may want to check with people who bought FSD and then sold their car back to Tesla.

Word is Tesla was/is valuing FSD at basically $0 on trade-in.