Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD now $99 a month

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This will be like Starlink. Low entry price, then they will raise it over time.

If you want the locked in price, you buy it but at this new monthly pricing and the fact that FSD doesn't follow you from car to car makes buying it a losing proposition for now.
It's pretty obvious that Tesla are either going to have to (a) gradually raise the monthly fee or (b) drop the purchase price for FSD, since anyone can see that the purchase price simply doesnt make sense at the moment.

With Tesla claiming they have sunk $10 billion into developing FSD (to date) they are going to have to sell approx 1 million installs of FSD just to break even (assuming an averaged price of $10k). Of course, I'm sure the bet they are making is on some form of robotaxi, but that is over the horizon atm.

Reactions: Khashoggi
My take on this price reduction is that it's still part of the ploy to get more AI training data. Same reason they're giving everyone a free month. They need seventeen trillion miles of driving data.
My takeaway is TSLA stock is facing headwinds due to competition, aging designs, over capacity, surplus inventory, need for an M2 release date, FSD's broken promise, and Musk's sophomoric politics and eccentric behavior tarnishing TSLA's brand. The company needs definitive ways to boost its bottom line in 2024. FSD licensing may provide a stream that props the stock up in the near term. I'm more impressed by FSD than I expected but still consider it a novelty. I predicted TSLA would do this in another thread at $49 a month. I think the lower price would attract exponentially more subscriptions and revenue.

Last edited:
My takeaway is TSLA stock is facing headwinds due to competition, aging designs, over capacity, surplus inventory, need for an M2 release date, FSD's broken promise, and Musk's sophomoric politics and eccentric behavior tarnishing TSLA's brand. The company needs definitive ways to boost its bottom line in 2024. FSD licensing may provide a stream that props the stock up in the near term. I'm more impressed by FSD than I expected but still consider it a novelty. I predicted TSLA would do this in another thread at $49 a month. I think the lower price would attract exponentially more subscriptions and revenue.

The presentation of the Rivian R2 and R3 made really a big splash among the Tesla community.

I am sure that a large number of Tesla enthusiasts considering getting the Model 3 Highland
or the Model Y Juniper or even the Tesla 2 Redwood, might considere waiting a little bit more
until Rivian release those new R2 and R3 vehicles.

Tesla really need to expand its line up, there is a big price gap between the Model Y and the Model X.
Tesla should make an elongated model Y, maybe a little bit in the style of a shooting break, with real three-row seats.

The Cybertruck is certainly the most inovated vehicule that Tesla made, but is too big for what people need especially outside of the US.

And also people, especially in Europe and Asia, need a vehicle smaller and more partical than the Model 3.

Reactions: TSLY and OldManCan
The inability to use TACC alone makes this a non-starter for me. Yes, this can be gotten around using two profiles. And while that is fine when evaluating, it is not a good option for mainstream use.
FSD/AP is per profile. Create a new profile with FSD turned off and switch profile on the go. It sucks that getting out of FSD also disables TACC and hopefully this was an oversight and will be fixed but for now, that's an option.

Notateslaapp still shows almost 1/2 of their reporting fleet is on 2024,8.X.

When are we getting the love Tesla?

IMG_1603.png

Not a Kool-Aid drinker, I swear! Been using this new iteration of FSD for a couple of weeks now and it is very useful (driving around south of Tucson mostly). So, yeah, for me anyway it's worth $99 for a month's use on those occasions the system would be of utility, mostly on a road-trip.

Rich
Maybe it’s location dependent as I always need to take over. I like the tech but becomes more of a hassle for me to use.

I’m pretty darn happy about this as an owner and an investor. They’ve made it so much more attractive but I do think the price is still too expensive, at least for personal use.

Despite the price drop, it’s a difficult thing to justify on top of premium connectivity for a lot of owners that understandably have tighter budgets these days. It’s amazing technology but for the vast majority of my commuting it doesn’t bring 100/mo worth of value over basic AP (essentially making my turns for me). If I had a longer/more random daily drive or lived in an area with crazy traffic like DC/LA/etc I could see the justification.

I will definitely be subscribing for road trips and stuff like that!

Not super happy for myself. Happy for latecomers I guess. I've had a model x with AP1 which was forgotten and two FSD cars. It appears I bought tickets to Mars for future passengers...
The good news is that AP1 is still superior to the current cars' behavior on the highway where most of the value of ADAS exists. I'd retrofit AP1 in a heartbeat if it were possible to get back good following behavior, radar reassurance in poor visibility, and a radical reduction in nags.

Can you recount one time where it saved your life, thanks.
This morning-

On FSD 12
I was at a 2 lane left turn intersection with a large truck obscuring my vision to the left.

Light turned green the truck and I both started turning left and some dummy in a white car blew through his red light and just as emergency braking sounded I saw the car and the truck and I both slammed on our brakes and let the bozo conttinue on his way- the driver acted like he could care less or didn’t see us or was drunk or all of the above.

Good job FSD!

Reactions: JHCCAZ
So the choice is to buy FSD for a one time fee of $12,000, or pay $99/month. Let's see - $12,000 earning 5% provides $600/year in interest, or $50/month. So Tesla is saying that I can keep my $12,000 in the bank (or where ever I choose), currently earn 5% in an insured money market fund, and net pay $49 to have FSD, correct?

I feel badly for the early adapters who paid the full price, but on the other hand as a Tesla Model Y owner who has seen the price of my car now $16,000 less than the cost paid in 2022, it seems as if Tesla is trying to "give back" something to prior owners without addressing it directly.

I, for one, appreciate the gesture, and will subscribe going forward when my trial ends at the end of the month.
The interest earned is taxable as regular income so you likely won’t be clearing 600 year.

Whether or not you feel like Tesla is giving something or taking it away will depend on if you purchased FSD or not. If you already purchased FSD, it is now worth approximately half as much and that probably feels like a loss. If you don’t currently have FSD, the new price probably feels like a win.

I think with Tesla you need to be comfortable with the possibility of anything you buy from them can be worth 30-50 percent less in a few months.

Tesla should make an elongated model Y, maybe a little bit in the style of a shooting break, with real three-row seats.

I've always wondered why Tesla does not consider a station wagon version of the Model Y. Keep the vehicle exactly the same and just change the rear hatchback design to give us a more boxy rear with higher volume. I am considering getting an Rivian R2 in 2 years only to have access to larger cargo volume in more or less similar footprint to Model Y. This could be an easy hit for Tesla with minimal investment.

Reactions: father_of_6
If Tesla allows FSD license owners always keep the license with our profile for car transfers, the 12k becomes worth it. Especially if I could rent a Tesla and login with my profile to have FSD. (Even if Tesla just charged a transfer fee of like $25 or $50 for a rental and $500 for an ownership transfer to a new car. There are so many things Tesla could do for pricing to make it enticing like they just did for subscription.

I suspect something will change with the license ownership option. Also great for customer retention. You keep your license as long as you own at least one Tesla.

Last edited: