Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD now $99 a month

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My takeaway is TSLA stock is facing headwinds due to competition, aging designs, over capacity, surplus inventory, need for an M2 release date, FSD's broken promise, and Musk's sophomoric politics and eccentric behavior tarnishing TSLA's brand. The company needs definitive ways to boost its bottom line in 2024. FSD licensing may provide a stream that props the stock up in the near term. I'm more impressed by FSD than I expected but still consider it a novelty. I predicted TSLA would do this in another thread at $49 a month. I think the lower price would attract exponentially more subscriptions and revenue.
There is also the issue of opening up the SC network, which dilutes one of the major selling points of Tesla compared to all other EV brands (though this is only on paper atm, until/if/when they retrofit them with NACS).

Reactions: TSLY
Maybe it’s location dependent as I always need to take over. I like the tech but becomes more of a hassle for me to use.
Location and build dependent. I have a 2024 MS and I'm on my 3 month trial. I'll say the visualization that you get with FSD is remarkable, even when I'm doing the driving. I'd probably pay for that view alone as an upgrade. Now FSD is super useful,but I may not ever let it completely drive me from point A to B. I'd say 80 to 90% of the ride on FSD is about what I'm experiencing. While I eat a meal, or answer a text, relax or just jam out in the car...yeah that may be worth the $99 subscription for me. I'm in Houston by the way...it takes 30 minutes to get to anyplace so I use it a lot.

I kind of compare it to when my wife or someone is driving and I'm a passenger. I probably take over FSD as much as I would if I could when the Mrs is behind the wheel...maybe less.

So the choice is to buy FSD for a one time fee of $12,000, or pay $99/month. Let's see - $12,000 earning 5% provides $600/year in interest, or $50/month. So Tesla is saying that I can keep my $12,000 in the bank (or where ever I choose), currently earn 5% in an insured money market fund, and net pay $49 to have FSD, correct?

I feel badly for the early adapters who paid the full price, but on the other hand as a Tesla Model Y owner who has seen the price of my car now $16,000 less than the cost paid in 2022, it seems as if Tesla is trying to "give back" something to prior owners without addressing it directly.

I, for one, appreciate the gesture, and will subscribe going forward when my trial ends at the end of the month.

The $99/mo will likely be temporary. If it was permanent they would have lowered the $12,000.

Location and build dependent. I have a 2024 MS and I'm on my 3 month trial. I'll say the visualization that you get with FSD is remarkable, even when I'm doing the driving. I'd probably pay for that view alone as an upgrade. Now FSD is super useful,but I may not ever let it completely drive me from point A to B. I'd say 80 to 90% of the ride on FSD is about what I'm experiencing. While I eat a meal, or answer a text, relax or just jam out in the car...yeah that may be worth the $99 subscription for me. I'm in Houston by the way...it takes 30 minutes to get to anyplace so I use it a lot.

I kind of compare it to when my wife or someone is driving and I'm a passenger. I probably take over FSD as much as I would if I could when the Mrs is behind the wheel...maybe less.
I agree on the visualization, that alone is nice to have and worth paying something.

I compare it to what I imagine a driving instructor must feel with a student driver. It is slow, timid, and makes a few mistakes, requiring you to constantly monitor and never really get to fully relax. I recently used it on a long road trip and that was nice for long stretches of expressway.

Reactions: syncword
What makes it worth it even at $99?
The fact that you're getting your own personal driver/chauffeur for $99/month is crazy think about. This used to be something only the super rich could afford, now basically anybody can have it.

Yeah it makes mistakes once in a while, but 90% of my drivers are now disengagement free, and that should get better over time.

The fact that you're getting your own personal driver/chauffeur for $99/month is crazy think about. This used to be something only the super rich could afford, now basically anybody can have it.

Yeah it makes mistakes once in a while, but 90% of my drivers are now disengagement free, and that should get better over time.
Yeah it is kinda nice but it is a 15 year old chauffeur want to be in training and you are in charge. 🤣

Thought that was like $5..

I went to Alberta and BC this past summer in the Tesla and FSD doesn't work as well in Canada so should make sense it's cheaper.
Well then you guys are really getting ripped off if it is only $5

Up until today, FSD was sold at the exchange rate, give or take. Not sure if V12 maybe brings it more on par between US and Canada?
I'm happy it is only $99/CAD....I only need it for 2 weeks in July and I actually only need EAP so I will subscribe for that month to get EAP. Don't really care what FSD can or can't do.

My takeaway is TSLA stock is facing headwinds due to competition, aging designs, over capacity, surplus inventory, need for an M2 release date, FSD's broken promise, and Musk's sophomoric politics and eccentric behavior tarnishing TSLA's brand. The company needs definitive ways to boost its bottom line in 2024. FSD licensing may provide a stream that props the stock up in the near term. I'm more impressed by FSD than I expected but still consider it a novelty. I predicted TSLA would do this in another thread at $49 a month. I think the lower price would attract exponentially more subscriptions and revenue.
I’ve seen this argument but in fact they dont need FSD installed to gather training data .. after all they want the DRIVER to be driving tha car. All they need is permission to send anonymous driving data from the car to the mother ship (and maybe not even that depending on which lawyer you talk to).