Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD or Solar

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Payback for solar varies greatly by state. I'm sure AZ is great for solar. IL .... not so sure. Seattle, definitely not.
In AZ you actually get a double benefit - not only do you get electricity but you also shield your roof and get lower solar heat gain, reducing your energy bills. Honestly, solar in AZ, NM and S Cal is a no brainer.

We got an estimate for solar several months ago. The payback in MN was roughly 15 years, still not too bad. We checked into Tesla's solar roof and it would have been $100k to do our roof in it (plus they require you to buy a PowerWall on top of that.) I think that would put the payback around 50 years. I don't know how they expect to sell any at that price.

Payback for solar varies greatly by state. I'm sure AZ is great for solar. IL .... not so sure. Seattle, definitely not.
Yes AZ is a no brainer for solar. I put my 30K system in over 11 years ago. Utility paid 50% of cost and federal and state had another 20% rebate. Out of pocket 9K. Payback was 6 years.
Like I said a no brainer. Also grandfathered in for new line charges Utilities are charging now for solar installs.
Don't need any stinkin FSD, I can drive my own car!

Reactions: 2101Guy
Definitely solar. With inflation rising it won't be long before our utility companies will start the steady rate ramp up and who knows how available solar panels etc will be in the future. Plus the federal tax credit is 26% this year. I think it drops to 22% next year. I'm in the process of having solar panels installed now and anticipate breaking even in 5 years.

In AZ you actually get a double benefit - not only do you get electricity but you also shield your roof and get lower solar heat gain, reducing your energy bills. Honestly, solar in AZ, NM and S Cal is a no brainer.

We got an estimate for solar several months ago. The payback in MN was roughly 15 years, still not too bad. We checked into Tesla's solar roof and it would have been $100k to do our roof in it (plus they require you to buy a PowerWall on top of that.) I think that would put the payback around 50 years. I don't know how they expect to sell any at that price.

Solar roof is for people who aren’t worried about the payback and will say anything for the asthetics. Tesla panels though look nicer that the competition to me. The trim they put around them really adds to the apparance. With the other installers in my area they leave the racks visible… ugly.

Solar roof is for people who aren’t worried about the payback and will say anything for the asthetics. Tesla panels though look nicer that the competition to me. The trim they put around them really adds to the apparance. With the other installers in my area they leave the racks visible… ugly.
That depends on your installer and what panels they use. The installers we looked at do a similar job to Tesla. They also have the option of all black vs traditional panels.

Unfortunately our HOA refuses to allow solar panels so it doesn't matter what our payback time would be. (I might be able to convince them of the solar roof, but I'm not willing to pay triple the cost. That would put the payback out ....well, I suppose It would help pay off my grave site.

No way, by that time the price of land will be too high to be buried. You're gettin' flushed dude.
At the risk of being too morbid for a family forum - there are companies that will compost human remains. That seems like the most environmentally friendly/sensible option to me. What’s the point of taking up a 10’ x 4’ plot of land for the next x hundred years?

That depends on your installer and what panels they use. The installers we looked at do a similar job to Tesla. They also have the option of all black vs traditional panels.

Unfortunately our HOA refuses to allow solar panels so it doesn't matter what our payback time would be. (I might be able to convince them of the solar roof, but I'm not willing to pay triple the cost. That would put the payback out ....well, I suppose It would help pay off my grave site.

I haven’t seen any panels installed with the trim prices other than Tesla.

I thought that HOAs not allowing panels was against the law ?