Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD price to be reduced to $3K for EAP owners

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I bit the bullet and bought it this morning, scheduled the HW3 retrofit for the 3rd of July for my May 2018 Model 3 LR. Here are a few of my thoughts:
- I had the money now
- Lowest it will be ever again (or tied with it I assume) since the price will go up to $5k in July (and probably discounted to $4k at some point in the future)
- I love playing with new AP features
- New AP computer would be nice for object recognition fun
- I plan on keeping my Model 3 for the long haul, might as well have all of the bells and whistles to play with along the way

I still think it's a huge waste of money practically, but I like Tesla and I like playing around with new features (read: beta testing buggy software) that is on the edge of becoming something bigger.

I bit the bullet and bought it this morning, scheduled the HW3 retrofit for the 3rd of July for my May 2018 Model 3 LR. Here are a few of my thoughts:
- I had the money now
- Lowest it will be ever again (or tied with it I assume) since the price will go up to $5k in July (and probably discounted to $4k at some point in the future)
- I love playing with new AP features
- New AP computer would be nice for object recognition fun
- I plan on keeping my Model 3 for the long haul, might as well have all of the bells and whistles to play with along the way

I still think it's a huge waste of money practically, but I like Tesla and I like playing around with new features (read: beta testing buggy software) that is on the edge of becoming something bigger.

Pretty much thinking the same.

That said my car is old (Dec. 2016 MS) and the "FSD" computer also gives me dashcam/sentry recording functionality.

I doubt we'll see anything close to FSD, but I'm sure we'll get some exciting new HW3 features over the next year, such as speed sign recognition. Also, they are supposed to be rewriting the code for HW3 so hopefully we'll even see an actual improvement to highway NoA too.

Reactions: pilotSteve
I have a service appointment to fix the EAP features that quit working. Like it will go into a lane to pass but won’t leave it. It did it for almost a year then suddenly stopped. I’m just under 50k miles so I’m dropping it off and not picking it up till it’s fixed. If their solution is to upgrade the computer I’ll give in for $1500 (the price of a good graphics cards and install). Anything more than that I will leave the car there until they figure out how to fix my EAP. As far as I’m concerned the car is broken. There has been over a dozen updates that haven’t fixed it

• Disagree
Reactions: mikes_fsd
I have a service appointment to fix the EAP features that quit working. Like it will go into a lane to pass but won’t leave it. It did it for almost a year then suddenly stopped. I’m just under 50k miles so I’m dropping it off and not picking it up till it’s fixed. If their solution is to upgrade the computer I’ll give in for $1500 (the price of a good graphics cards and install). Anything more than that I will leave the car there until they figure out how to fix my EAP. As far as I’m concerned the car is broken. There has been over a dozen updates that haven’t fixed it

How do you expect they will fix it?

It's been like this for a while and this is the new behavior in new firmware.

For $3K you are getting not just the hardware but a lifetime subscription to the software as well.

That said my car is old (Dec. 2016 MS) and the "FSD" computer also gives me dashcam/sentry recording functionality.

I doubt we'll see anything close to FSD, but I'm sure we'll get some exciting new HW3 features over the next year, such as speed sign recognition. Also, they are supposed to be rewriting the code for HW3 so hopefully we'll even see an actual improvement to highway NoA too.
Are you sure the autopilot Hw3 computer upgrade will give your Model S sentry and dashcam features? I thought those were dependent on the speed of the MCU, not the autopilot computer. They’re separate.

There are some reports that HW3 upgrade to MCU 1 slows things to a crawl. You might have to pony up another $2500 for MCU 2 upgrade after that.

I think I am going to take the plunge - I'm glad I looked one last time at the 'Upgrades' section of the app or I would have missed this. For some reason, I was not interested at $4000, but now I am at $3000. I am just enough interested to pull the trigger. My thoughts are, if I don't upgrade and I stick with my HW2.5, when (hopefully) the FSD comes as a subscription service, I will not be able to fully use the features of FSD or not be capable at all.

This is an expensive move but my wife and I love the car and plan to keep it for a long time. The updates and tech is what will keep me holding on to the car for many years to come.

Did it myself. Also, since its going to $5k next month, I figure it will add at least 2.5k to resale value of the car on the used market. Making my $3k really only a $500 "spend" at most, over the long run.

Also, on ICE cars? I easily spent $3k+ on various upgrades, modifications, tunes, etc...and most of those mods may REDUCE sale value.

So Im good with the 3k spend..

Anyone know when mcu2 came in? I have 2016 Model S bought December, delivered Jan 2017. Thinking of FSD update from EAP tomorrow. Thaanks...

MCU2 was introduced around March of 2018... Here's what you gain/lose if you want to do the $2500 upgrade from MCU1 to MCU2:
Infotainment Upgrade

From what many claim, MCU1 is slow, laggy, lacks features, etc...

Signs point to no, as EAP does everything I'll probably need.. Don't trust it enough to be driving on city streets,

Based on it being best to buy based on what it actually does today, EAP gets you most of the deal and hard to justify $3k for........

I have EAP and finding it hard to justify the cost to upgrade to FSD.

..... like they said..... ^^^

Oh we see traffic cones. Literally everything is a traffic cone on EAP.

With HW3 everything that isn't a traffic cone mostly becomes a trash bin. Worth $3k?

$3k TSLA stock likely a better deal.