Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD rewrite will go out on Oct 20 to limited beta

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Think most people are kinda scratching their heads here. Whats thr point of announcing a release that's going to employees or a set of individuals that strictly forbidden to share their experiences. Furthermore there is also zero information on what the details of the release. Kinda unfortunate for the people who have paid for this feature years in advance

I agree. I wish we had some info. Makes me wonder if the "FSD Beta" is not very reliable and they don't want the public to know yet.

The cynic might say Tesla is doing it just to claim FSD revenue since the Earnings Call is later today. Or at the very least, Elon wanted to be able to claim some progress on FSD during the Earnings Call.

Reactions: Nuclear Fusion
They'd only be able to claim revenue for the people who they've released it to. And the new quarter started 3 weeks ago, so it doesn't make much sense to claim revenue right now. It'd make more sense at the end of the quarter.

Thanks. So maybe it was just to claim some progress then? Elon has been talking about the rewrite. Now, he can say that the rewrite is out of the lab and into cars for real world testing.

Yeah, it is probably a very limited release. And I seem to remember that Early Access people are not supposed to be on 3rd party apps like teslafi. So the FSD beta is most likely going to employees or Early Access people who are not on teslafi, hence why it would not show up.

Ya not suprised. There was a developer not too long ago that had software that was able to create encrypted notices sent via email to customers. Whenever that said customer shared the notice to 3rd parties they were able to identify where the notice originated. They were able to do this as every notice was special and coded by unique spacing between the letters. One would assume Tesla could be identifying leaks with the same technology

Whispers on reddit that a video leak might happen tonight.

y3MOi9N.png

https://www.reddit.com/r/teslamotor...3?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x&context=3

Think most people are kinda scratching their heads here. Whats thr point of announcing a release that's going to employees or a set of individuals that are strictly forbidden to share their experiences. Furthermore there is also zero information on what the details of the release are. Kinda unfortunate for the people who have paid for this feature years in advance

No head scratching for me. The release is not beta quality. Waymo has an actual robotaxi. Mobileye announced a SuperVision deal. Tesla risks losing the perception for many that they are the autonomy leader. Observant people have noticed the lack of progress on key components of Tesla's software.

Many aspects of Tesla's business are going very well. They just need to give their uncritical supporters reasons to believe.

They could have a breakthrough, but that's not the reason they are claiming beta now.

Ok I didn't get it. Who got it? Someone said that some other guy got it, but then I heard from some other guy that was just a rumor. Elon promised that it was coming last night, so why didn't I get it? Hold on, I see above that some guy on Reddit was whispering on the internets that some guy got an e-mail that some other guy got it, and is posting a video about an upcoming live stream of that guy opening the e-mail. And some other guy got wind of that live stream and is going to live stream himself watching and commenting on the live stream of the email opening too. I think he is the guy who actually got it, but there is a conspiracy theory floating around that only Elon's brother got it, but some other guy said that Chinese hackers started that rumor to distract from the sea of Model 3's being shipped to Europe. Still, I can't figure out who got it. I didn't get it, that's for sure. And even if I did, an NDA would preclude me from speculating as to whether I got it, or whether some other guy got it, probably. If anyone hears any rumors about who got it, please update this thread ASAP, we gotta figure out who got it! Maybe those Model 3's in Sweden that burned up yesterday got it, but that's maybe just another conspiracy theory some other guy started. Anyway, FSD is a pipe dream in any case as stated uncategorically by some guys on the FSD thread, so could be this is all an elaborate hoax. Those analyst guys better make Elon come clean during the earnings call today! Hold his feet to the fire and cut off his microphone if he keeps interrupting...

M3E.jpg

BTW, apologies for the perceived slight of always using "some guys" versus the more gender neutral "some girls" or "some people" or "some lemurs", etc. But it always seems to be some guys that get the ball rolling...

P.S. Hold on, new update incoming. I think I'm getting it ! ! !

Riddle me this... Is it really a "release" if 0.00% (rounded) have received it?

or

If a Tesla self drives in the woods and there is no one there to see it, did it drive itself?

3 years and 10 months paid and waiting for self driving after seeing the video at that time "showing" Model S drive itself around Fremont. Fool me once!

Think most people are kinda scratching their heads here. Whats thr point of announcing a release that's going to employees or a set of individuals that are strictly forbidden to share their experiences.
Because releasing to them isn't about sharing their experiences with the general public! It's about them testing the software on a slightly larger subset of vehicles and drivers. You can't go super fast releasing this tech...it isn't like releasing Priority Bluetooth in that if it fails, who cares? If it fails, it fails super bad and people possibly die. You have to roll it out at speeds similar to how we're doing COVID vaccine testing.

Reactions: RubberToe
As challenging as creating a COVID vaccine is, the creation of software and hardware that allows cars to drive themselves is orders of magnitude more challenging. You might not like the speed it's being done at, but you could argue it too is being done a "record pace" since literally no one else has ever done what Tesla is attempting (FSD via cameras and radar only).

• Funny
Reactions: Daniel in SD
As challenging as creating a COVID vaccine is, the creation of software and hardware that allows cars to drive themselves is orders of magnitude more challenging. You might not like the speed it's being done at, but you could argue it too is being done a "record pace" since literally no one else has ever done what Tesla is attempting (FSD via cameras and radar only).
Mobileye has demonstrated way more impressive FSD using cameras only. I do agree that designing autonomous vehicles is one of the most difficult engineering problems ever attempted. We'll probably see commercial fusion reactors before Level 5 vehicles.

Mobileye has demonstrated way more impressive FSD using cameras only. I do agree that designing autonomous vehicles is one of the most difficult engineering problems ever attempted. We'll probably see commercial fusion reactors before Level 5 vehicles.
Ok well I'm not aware of Mobileeye rolling out its tech to a larger group of drivers than Tesla is doing here. I see this article from earlier in the year and many questions remain about how general this tech is: Watch Mobileye’s self-driving car drive through Jerusalem using only cameras

"Of course, there’s a lot we don’t know about this drive, such as how many times Mobileye has driven this exact route and what, if any, remote assistance is being offered."​

Tesla is offering up a completely generalized solution. But don't get me wrong: I'd love for Mobileeye to kick ass in this space...more cars need computers driving them and fewer humans driving them, because humans suck.

It’s good to know the new FSD has gone into limited Beta. Hopefully it means they are on track to roll it out in the US by Christmas. Elon says it works. I refuse to get over-excited as he has over promised on FSD before. Patience is a virtue. So I’m told. I’m in the U.K. so we must be ages away still.

Full disclosure- I'm a brand new Tesla owner. (2 months today) That said, I totally understand the slow approach in releasing the FSD rewrite beta. Don't discount how much these autopilot accidents (and death) hurt Tesla. When talking with friends and family about my new car and autopilot/FSD, the first thing most of them ask is "haven't a lot of people gotten killed using that?"

Every time there's a bad accident with a Tesla that was on AP, it makes the news. The perception among the masses is it is unsafe. My wife doesn't feel comfortable when I engage AP. My mother-in-law outright asked me NOT to use it while she was in the car. This- even with my hands on the wheel and eyes on the road.

So even though Tesla is not liable, imagine if there was even a small issue that led to an uptick in accidents. It would most certainly be all over the news. (If Elon sneezes, it makes the news) While they wouldn't be held liable, it would still hurt the brand, possibly severely. There is no upside in a quick release, only downsides. The limited release makes perfect sense from a good business strategy standpoint, as well as moral/safety reasons.

I wish I'd been chosen. I drive like a granny.

Reactions: byeLT4
Nah. I doubt that Elon cares about upstaging GM's reveal of the Hummer EV. I think it has more to do with Tesla's Q3 earnings call being Oct 21. It gives Tesla something big to announce during the earnings call. Not to mention, Tesla can probably claim more FSD revenue.
Yeap - very likely. And Tesla need to deliver it this year - otherwise it would be the second time they miss the “by end of year” deadline. Personally it would have gone a long way for me if Elon had provided a tiny apology or acknowledgement that this was due by end 2019, and bla bla bla happened and now we are happy to share it with you fans... etc.