Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD Runs Yellow Lights

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Even saying it "runs yellow lights" is misleading, It runs green lights as well. Both are legal and equally potentially dangerous.
Yes and it's not FSD either since it's FDS Beta, but the thread had already been made so retitling is problematic for the Mods. More accurate title might be "How FSD Beta handles Yellow lights?".

IRIONY: While it might be uncomfortable going through a Yellow it is likely statistically the safest time to be in an intersection.

Last edited:
Yes it is ONLY running a red light if the light turns red BEFORE you pass the stop line and enter the intersection.

Also FSD Beta DOSN'T run red lights, the DRIVER does. FSD Beta is an L2 system and legally and technically the driver is in control of the car. You MUST maintain control and if you see Beta is doing something you are not comfortable with you disengage.
It will sometimes try to run red lights. One particular red light near me it always treats like a stop sign. It will stop but then tries to continue while the light is still red. Only at that one light will it do this but it does it every time.

It will sometimes try to run red lights. One particular red light near me it always treats like a stop sign. It will stop but then tries to continue while the light is still red. Only at that one light will it do this but it does it every time.
I'm an original Beta tester (Oct 21) so I know that and have experienced it. However the thread title was NOT based on it trying to run a Red Light and that was my reply you quoted.

it entered an intersection on yellow and proceeded slowly through it after the light turned red.
@tls , are you suggesting the car should stop in the middle of the intersection? The driver could've overrode by pressing the brake in the middle of the intersection. Or maybe the car should've sped up when the light turned red. Again driver could've pressed the accelerator to override. Or .... the attentive driver could've safely overrode by coming to a stop before entering the intersection. You should always stop on a yellow if it can be done safely. There should be a requirement to learn how to operate a car before you get behind the yoke.

Last edited:
@tls , are you suggesting the car should stop in the middle of the intersection? The driver could've overrode by pressing the brake in the middle of the intersection. Or maybe the car should've sped up when the light turned red. Again driver could've pressed the accelerator to override. Or .... the attentive driver could've safely overrode by coming to a stop before entering the intersection. You should always stop on a yellow if it can be done safely. There should be a requirement to learn how to operate a car before you get behind the yoke.
Legally, you can enter an intersection anytime you do not have a red light. One exception in places like NYC is that you should not enter an intersection unless there is room to exit the intersection. This is to avoid blocking cross traffic if you are stuck in the middle of the intersection. It would be a valid complaint had the OP stated that the car entered an intersection on any light color when the intended exit point was blocked by traffic. I don't recall anyone posting whether FSDb is smart enough to avoid this scenario. I've not encountered this situation with FSDb in my area.

Is this red light rendered as a flashing red on the screen? It's possible for this to happen if the red light is an LED with a relatively low pulse flicker rate, that can be aliased by the camera to look like a slow flash rate.

As a fellow NYer to the OP, I'd NEVER try to use FSD within the city. There is nothing "normal" about driving here, ever. And I'm not talking about the stereotypes either, just regular driving patterns. Maybe out in the far reaches of Queens or Staten Island it would be OK, maybe, but in Brooklyn, Manhattan or The Bronx, fahgedabouddit. Just here in Brooklyn, I have to be able to navigate Moscow, Kiev, Tashkent, Port-au-Prince, Lahore, Tel Aviv, Rome, San Juan, and Shanghai drivers and streets!