Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD still has to be requested?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you paid 15K for the FSD when you bought the car does it come loaded, or do you just get into a queue as well?
You get FSD right away, but FSD Beta is an early access program that Tesla let's in new testers periodically. There was a short time period where it was "open", really semi-open as it always depends on your software level. If your software level is higher than FSD Beta, example the current main stream Beta is 2022.45.15 if you have any 2023 software you won't be able to get Beta. The new Beta is 2023.7.5, so anything lower than that like 2023.2.X would be eligible once they began accepting new users, but if you have a higher version like 2023.12.X, you won't be eligible.

You can also be suspended from the program for not paying attention, etc., but there's no guarantee you will just get in or receive Beta.

Reactions: E90alex
I bought FSD right after delivery, the day of (as I wanted to pay for it separately). That was 3 months ago. Still have not been enrolled but that's likely explained by the fact the car had a more current software version out of the gate than FSD.

That said, I really wish they'd find a better way to manage this. It's a big ticket item and it seems reasonable to expect something out of it right away.

I bought FSD right after delivery, the day of (as I wanted to pay for it separately). That was 3 months ago. Still have not been enrolled but that's likely explained by the fact the car had a more current software version out of the gate than FSD.

That said, I really wish they'd find a better way to manage this. It's a big ticket item and it seems reasonable to expect something out of it right away.
When they release the product, it will, but that's likely years away.

Yes, it will but in the meantime, when you've paid that much for something, you kinda expect something out of it. Beta would suffice for me but I don't even have that. And what's frustrating is that I had it on the Tesla I traded in!
You have FSD, prior to 2 years ago there was no Beta option for owners...FSD was what everyone received.

Prior to December, it was required you had to test to get Beta.

Beta is stopped right now due to a recall and who knows when they will allow new testers, but again, it's an early access program. I want to say this so you know, you didn't pay for Beta...you can also lose it if you don't follow the rules.

FSD Beta will be closed for the foreseeable future, the NHTSA recall hasn't been satisfied to my knowledge. New users haven't been added this year for that reason.
This was from Tesla:

FSD Beta version 11.3.1 or later includes the remedy that will improve how FSD Beta negotiates certain driving maneuvers during specific conditions. The updated FSD version began rolling out over-the-air (OTA) to affected vehicles beginning March 6, 2023.

Note: The remedy is not yet available for vehicles with NVIDIA® Tegra® and will deploy OTA once the software is available.

You have FSD, prior to 2 years ago there was no Beta option for owners...FSD was what everyone received.

Prior to December, it was required you had to test to get Beta.

Beta is stopped right now due to a recall and who knows when they will allow new testers, but again, it's an early access program. I want to say this so you know, you didn't pay for Beta...you can also lose it if you don't follow the rules.
Thanks for the clarifications.

I'm on 2023.2.10. Should I get off the Beta queue to get a more current firmware version until they reopen Beta or am I likely to receive a more current non Beta firmware version regardless of being in the queue or not?

Last edited:

I'm on 2023.2.10. Should I get off the Beat queue to get a more current firmware version until they reopen Beta or am I likely to receive a current firmware version regardless of being in the queue or not?
I'd wait to upgrade to anything until there are new testers getting it. The worst thing you could do is go to 2023.12.X and then Tesla doesn't take Beta to that level for several months.

I've definitely paid for it. By queue I meant the option in the car's UI to be in line to receive the beta. I'm debating getting off of it to enjoy the benefits of the more current firmware updates if it is going to be a while anyway before I get the beta.
The only thing you would get is the customized left scroll wheel and the location information on your S. The 3 would get font size change.

It depends on how important those features are for you.

The only thing you would get is the customized left scroll wheel and the location information on your S. The 3 would get font size change.

It depends on how important those features are for you.
There is also thew ability to control the passager seat from the rear screen, the car controls showing up on the Home Screen and auto heated steering wheel (though arguably not super needed in the coming months).

I'm on 2023.2.10. Should I get off the Beta queue to get a more current firmware version until they reopen Beta or am I likely to receive a more current non Beta firmware version regardless of being in the queue or not?
If you’re in the FSD queue I don’t think you’ll get pushed a newer non-FSD software version beyond the latest FSD build. I’d advise against leaving the queue as you’ll only set yourself back further as if you end up on 2023.12.x (latest regular non-FSD software) you won’t be able to move backwards to 2023.7.5 (latest FSD currently). That means you’ll be waiting for the next version, whenever that is. Tesla has been dropping the ball recently with merging these branches. In December of last year it felt like they might be trying to keep these better together but nope, back to massive disparities in build dates. Most FSD owners are on 2022.45.15, including myself.

If you’re in the FSD queue I don’t think you’ll get pushed a newer non-FSD software version beyond the latest FSD build. I’d advise against leaving the queue as you’ll only set yourself back further as if you end up on 2023.12.x (latest regular non-FSD software) you won’t be able to move backwards to 2023.7.5 (latest FSD currently). That means you’ll be waiting for the next version, whenever that is. Tesla has been dropping the ball recently with merging these branches. In December of last year it felt like they might be trying to keep these better together but nope, back to massive disparities in build dates. Most FSD owners are on 2022.45.15, including myself.
The last 2 Decembers they merged, it's a Holiday update thing. There was no evidence or indication that would stay.