Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD sub worth it for holiday roadtrips?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know the term "worth" is very subjective, but I wanted to ask to those who've tried out FSD on long road trips, is it any better than the standard AP? I'm planning on making 2x 1000 mile road trips in the next month, both falling within 30 days of each other, so I'm tempted to get the FSD subscription for 1 month to use on these trips to try it out.

Waste of $200? Or will its greatly improve my road trip experience compared to standard AP?

2021 Model Y LR, Vision only

(this was meant to be posted in the FSD section, sorry mods can you move?)

I know the term "worth" is very subjective, but I wanted to ask to those who've tried out FSD on long road trips, is it any better than the standard AP? I'm planning on making 2x 1000 mile road trips in the next month, both falling within 30 days of each other, so I'm tempted to get the FSD subscription for 1 month to use on these trips to try it out.

Waste of $200? Or will its greatly improve my road trip experience compared to standard AP?

2021 Model Y LR, Vision only

(this was meant to be posted in the FSD section, sorry mods can you move?)

Is having the car change lanes automatically worth $200? I don't think so. Is spending $200 vs $10000 to try out FSD just for fun? Probably, yes. But, are you willing to rip your hair out to attain the safety score required to use the beta?

Reactions: Ramphex
After going on a trip with it and then another trip without it, I would say it isn't worth it. Like the other posters said, it's fun to try out the features but it's definitely not worth $200 a month for auto lane change.

Hey, I really appreciate your response. This is exactly the replies I hoped to get, real world experience and not baseless opinions.. thank you!

I guess I'm just too used to the hostility of tesla reddit threads.

Reactions: Skione65
I subscribed for a month when it became available and plan on doing another month when I go from North Carolina to Texas for the holidays. Are the capabilities mind blowing? In my opinion they are not. Am I going to rip my hair out trying to get a good safety score so I can get the beta? Nope. Do I think it will be fun to do and enhance the experience of traveling halfway across the country? Yep. Good luck with your decision 👍

Reactions: mlkmade
I'm traveling from San Diego to Tahoe and once I get out of Socal, it will mostly be 4 lane highways on scenic routes..I did this trip 3x now, but with an M3 SR+ w/ radar and standard AP and it was amazing every time. This will be my first time doing this long of a trip in my new LR Y...530ish miles each way. I'm excited...but also having driven both a vision+radar car and now a vision only, I feel a substantial difference in capability and smoothness of the AP. I love my Y, it was meant to be, but I definitely miss radar, that's for sure.

With all that being said, I think I may pass on a FSD sub now that I've put some thought into the actual road I'll be traveling on, thanks to you all. Not knocking the value/experience, I just don't think for my particular trip it will be useful.

Appreciated!

I'm traveling from San Diego to Tahoe and once I get out of Socal, it will mostly be 4 lane highways on scenic routes..I did this trip 3x now, but with an M3 SR+ w/ radar and standard AP and it was amazing every time. This will be my first time doing this long of a trip in my new LR Y...530ish miles each way. I'm excited...but also having driven both a vision+radar car and now a vision only, I feel a substantial difference in capability and smoothness of the AP. I love my Y, it was meant to be, but I definitely miss radar, that's for sure.

With all that being said, I think I may pass on a FSD sub now that I've put some thought into the actual road I'll be traveling on, thanks to you all. Not knocking the value/experience, I just don't think for my particular trip it will be useful.

Appreciated!
If you're going up the 395, there's so little traffic that auto lane change is not really useful. On the 5, it's a different discussion.

Reactions: mlkmade
It's probably just me being old school but I tried FSD for a month and sorry I waisted the $200. I found it hard to trust the FSD at all
and found it nerve racking to monitor it rather than just drive myself. I'm really surprised I didn't get reported as a drunk driver.
I felt it screwed with my basic auto pilot with the random braking for no reason.
I turned the FSD all off and it still messed with the basic auto pilot. Wish I could remove it all from my car before my month is up.
I love driving and everything else about my Tesla.

Appreciated!

I'd use AP on 5 up through most of 80, but there are some sections coming up from Auburn that I would feel uncomfortable with. Then again, it was dumping rain and was 1AM..sooo there's that. Nothing I can really think of that FSD would provide over AP.

I'd use AP on 5 up through most of 80, but there are some sections coming up from Auburn that I would feel uncomfortable with. Then again, it was dumping rain and was 1AM..sooo there's that. Nothing I can really think of that FSD would provide over AP.
I do the trip from the bay to the Sierra via 80 fairly often. I use AP pretty much all the way ecept for one or two quick takeovers.

It's probably just me being old school but I tried FSD for a month and sorry I waisted the $200. I found it hard to trust the FSD at all
and found it nerve racking to monitor it rather than just drive myself. I'm really surprised I didn't get reported as a drunk driver.
I felt it screwed with my basic auto pilot with the random braking for no reason.
I turned the FSD all off and it still messed with the basic auto pilot. Wish I could remove it all from my car before my month is up.
I love driving and everything else about my Tesla.
Phantom braking pisses off my woman and makes my friends think Tesla is retarded that it can’t even drive in a straight lane with regular cruise control. I kind of find it embarrassing considering I always try to say good things about Tesla cars (notice I said cars and not customer service, for a reason). At this point I pretty much use AP/FSD only when I’m alone. It all broke once they cut the radar and went full vision.

Value is hard. If FSD was FREE, most everybody would use it. Each individual needs some personal introspection to determing if the price provides value.
They should’ve done a 30 day free trial so everyone can try and experience it. But then again, could be a double edged sword from the business perspective. If I got to test it for 30 days, I wouldn’t have paid 10k for it.

Reactions: sjg98 and leenanj