Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD: To Buy or Not to Buy--the $7000 question.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
With the "regular / baae" AP that comes with new cars, I appreciate that the car won't change lanes even when you manually select the turn signal indicator, but does it drop out of AP, every time you change lanes, and then you have to re-engage when you pass and get back in the middle lane?
Good question, would like to know the answer. My Leaf will just pick up auto steer again a little while after a lane change (so did my BMW).

With the "regular / baae" AP that comes with new cars, I appreciate that the car won't change lanes even when you manually select the turn signal indicator, but does it drop out of AP, every time you change lanes, and then you have to re-engage when you pass and get back in the middle lane?

In my car, with legacy EAP, it takes a fair bit of resistance to disengage by pulling on the wheel. I read somewhere that with AP, it is "easier / requires less effort" to move the wheel to change lanes while on AP.

Correct?
The base AP disengagement effort force requirement drops significantly as soon as the blinker is pressed. I find it is extremely easy and smooth to change lanes and then a double click on the drive stalk and it’s right back on AP. I’m a bit impatient and don’t like to wait for the FSD to try to find the room to change lanes on its own in normal busy traffic. On an empty highway the FSD can handle lane changes without any delay but add some traffic and the AP manual lane changes are far better, quickly becoming second nature and less annoying than dealing with what I refer to as FSD’s "nearsighted amateur driver abilities"

In my case, it would be paying $7k + tax for the ability to keep the autosteer on after a lane change.
I will admit I miss that feature, my other cars have it. But seems to be a poor value, especially since the car is not hands-free autosteering.

You are paying 7k now for the cumulative use of features of FSD starting now, those a year from now, those two years out, or five, etc until you sell the car.
The question is not is it worth it today, it is do you believe the FSD of 2022 is worth 7k.
Think of those who got it for 5k.

If they could get FSD working, it would be worth tens of thousands. I personally don't think Tesla can get it working. Auto park, auto wipers, advanced summon, auto high beams are craptacular. Tesla tends to do a poor implementation of a feature with few updates. Auto park has been around for 5 years without any updates on a barely passable implementation.

I’m glad I didn’t buy it. I rarely use auto steer because it’s annoying. You have to not only have your hands on the wheel, but just enough pressure for it to no alarm. At that point it’s easier to just steer lol it’s a cool feature to show your friends and family tho

Reactions: Reeler
Sorry for reviving this thread. I have been considering FSD daily. I ordered my Model Y a long time ago so I am locked into some cheaper pricing and I ordered FSD. I am just considering if it is truly worth it. The minor changes from autopilot does not seem to be significant until it is fully implemented. I have already completed my loan information, am I able to remove FSD without incurring vehicle price adjustments?

Sorry for reviving this thread. I have been considering FSD daily. I ordered my Model Y a long time ago so I am locked into some cheaper pricing and I ordered FSD. I am just considering if it is truly worth it. The minor changes from autopilot does not seem to be significant until it is fully implemented. I have already completed my loan information, am I able to remove FSD without incurring vehicle price adjustments?
I look at it this way: Reduce the cost of the car by omitting FSD and your annual registration fees and purchase sales tax will be lower.
Buy FSD and put it on a credit card that has perks (e.g., miles or rebate) and get something you would not get if bundled with the car.

The wildcard? Pricing of FSD after 7/1. Elon has promised a price increase on that date.

I just got my VIN today and canceled the FSD option moments ago. Why?
1. Because the purchase price is $7k higher, my insurance goes up $68 / year - a penalty I don't pay if I buy it right after I get the car. (State Farm still covers post purchase upgrades.)
2. While currently out of money, MD will give a $3k excise tax cut, but I lose that with FSD (pushes the car price above the $60k limit)
3. I can buy it with the app right after if I so choose (probably will) without these two financial hits.

For me, delaying FSD is a clear winner.

@MY-Y how did you go about doing this? Was your loan already secured with tesla and they adjusted the loan to a lower price no problem?

everything @rxlawdude says is exactly my concerns. I can have lower insurance, lower registration and lower sales tax due to the "value" of the car being lower. And whenever I want to buy it I would pay credit.

But the biggest concern is pricing, I believe when I purchased it FSD was worth 6k, so would my purchase price simply drop by 6k?

@MY-Y how did you go about doing this? Was your loan already secured with tesla and they adjusted the loan to a lower price no problem?

everything @rxlawdude says is exactly my concerns. I can have lower insurance, lower registration and lower sales tax due to the "value" of the car being lower. And whenever I want to buy it I would pay credit.

But the biggest concern is pricing, I believe when I purchased it FSD was worth 6k, so would my purchase price simply drop by 6k?

I didn't use their finance, so I just clicked the option on my order to clear it.

If it's true that post delivery FSD doesn't give the same HW upgrades in the future, that'll save me $7000.

But it doesn't matter when it was purchased.
A co worker has a model S. It was made quite clear back then if you did not order FSD with the car, you did NOT get the free hardware upgrade. So I think when you buy FSD did matter. Does it still matter? I really wish I knew. I have FSD on my order, and it would be nice to be able to get upgrades if I canceled it and then re-ordered it.

@MY-Y did you get any weird price adjustments since when you ordered or the FSD price simply chopped off?

@Ghanziang that is concerning. I will hunt the forums to see if it makes a difference. Now that I think about it...it should be WITH order right? Logically if rumors start swirling of HW4 coming out then a bunch of people will hop on their phones and purchase FSD upgrade and say "Hey I want the free hardware upgrade I have FSD" even though they just got it a week earlier.