Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD transfer: What's the current installation rate of HW4 on Model Y?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Attachments

• IMG_2050.jpeg
    IMG_2050.jpeg
    507.8 KB · Views: 155
Reactions: Jaymc5
I went for a test drive yesterday (in SoCal) and the sales rep asked his manager and then said like “90%” of their model Ys are coming with HW4. The car I test drove had 40 miles on it and was HW4.
The people doing FSD transfer should automatically get HW4 on new Tesla. The primary purpose of FSD transfer is to upgrade, it would be pointless if new Tesla didnt have upgraded HW
I picked up my inventory Y for FSD transfer on Monday and it has HW4 and matrix lights. It was built in Fremont in July of 2023 and has an 844XXX VIN.
Ya !!!! I hope mine does too!!

I just took delivery of an inventory MYP for FSD transfer. I wanted HW4 and matrix lights. I used Tesla-Info.com to check inventory cars in California and Nevada. 90% of the cars I checked were built in Austin (no matrix lights). Seems weird Tesla is sending Austin cars to the west coast. All the cars I looked at when picking up my car were HW4 from Austin without matrix lights. My car is white and has paint issues, but Tesla is going to fix it for free. I got a $3300 discount for inventory car. FSD was transferred to new car, but doesn’t activate.

I'm currently in FSD beta (11.4.4) and I assume HW4 is also compatible with the beta, right?

As far as I can tell, reading online, V11.4.4 is not compatible with HW4, or at least you can't get it on a new car. The V11.4.4 build is part of a firmware release that's older than what's currently shipping. You can't move backwards in firmware. Musk said V11.4.7 will start rolling out next week, and one hopes that the general firmware release it's in will be what's currently shipping, but we may have to wait. My Model Y is coming in a couple of weeks. I don't know what I'll get; it could be V11.3.6.

Current state of the world as of this post:

1)Any new build from Fremont or Austin will have HW4....you would have to find a very old build (May for Fremont, June for Austin) to get HW3.

2)Fremont will have Matrix lights. Austin will have non-matrix lights.

3)If you transfer FSD, buy FSD, subscribe to FSD or get a 3 month trial of FSD on a new HW4 car you won't have access to FSD Beta. You will only have access to regular FSD which is EAP features plus the ability for the car to stop at red lights and stop signs.

All new cars ship with base FW that includes FSD Beta version 11.3.6 which doesn't work on HW4. FSD Beta version 11.4.X works on HW4 but is being kept back on an old base FW (2023.7.X). The only people that have 11.4.X are employees and early beta testers (influencers) but only a few of those have it on a HW4 car because most influencers have HW3 cars. Only when Tesla releases a base FW greater than 11.26.8 that also includes FSD Beta 11.4.X or higher will the new purchasers of FSD on HW4 cars get access to FSDBeta. If you are on a free 3 month trial your trial may well run out before that happens. You will be able to try out the EAP and FSD (non-beta) features but not FSDBeta (ie Navigate on City Streets).

• Informative
Reactions: GoodManFrank