Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Don’t be obtuse. The difference is the pedestrian has the right of way. Also the pedestrian has a better view of cars coming.

Nah I think it's unsafe and bad driving practice to stop for a PED to cross a multilane road without a crosswalk, who seems like they're waiting for traffic to clear to cross. But this just shows you that there are big differences in driving behavior and perspectives

Yea it was an unnecessary and poor decision
Yes, lots of risk of a rear-end collision here. About 0.4g average with a higher peak, 18mph in about 2 seconds. That’s a fast stop. Maybe it’ll be fine when everyone has FCW.

It looks possible that there was no one immediately behind here - though at least two cars were very likely behind in that lane. Wonder whether that impacted decision-making at all? Probably not.

I do like how Edge Case 411 is maximizing his opportunity to monetize this. And the more “edge cases” he shows the longer his exclusivity will last!

I don’t think I would pay for that ride though. I think someone would have to pay me. I only trust myself with FSD Beta.
Yep. Now that I think about it more this is clearly engagement bait. His post will probably get a huge number of people arguing in the comments earning him some nice creator revenue.

Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
Yep. Now that I think about it more this is clearly engagement bait. His post will probably get a huge number of people arguing in the comments earning him some nice creator revenue.

I can also see what he means by baby agi. It seems V12 made a decision and remembered its decision through 5-10 seconds, which is pretty good lol, it was a dumb decision but a decision nevertheless

I can also see what he means by baby agi. It seems V12 made a decision and remembered its decision through 5-10 seconds, which is pretty good lol, it was a dumb decision but a decision nevertheless
But only dumb because the lead car ended up moving further down the lane. All cars were braking through the keep clear area with red traffic lights ahead.
Yeah, it could also have continued after there was space, but the turning vehicle had also started moving.
SmartSelect_20240227_190108_Firefox.jpg

Don’t be obtuse. The difference is the pedestrian has the right of way. Also the pedestrian has a better view of cars coming.

The situation in the video makes no sense since the car didn’t have to stop at all. You only stop if you can’t make it through the keep clear area.
Unless one is in CANADA, the pedestrian in the middle of the road and not at a crosswalk or intersection does NOT have right of way… that’s JAYWALKING… now, if you HIT them, you’re at fault for sure, but cars or drivers stopping randomly in the middle of a regular road, where there is NO intersection, NO crosswalk, NO zebra stripes, etc. for a pedestrian who decides to step off and cross a fluid bi-directional line of moving vehicles…. That’s just inviting other drivers to crash into cars, go AROUND - which is worse, etc.

But only dumb because the lead car ended up moving further down the lane. All cars were braking through the keep clear area with red traffic lights ahead.
Yeah, it could also have continued after there was space, but the turning vehicle had also started moving.
View attachment 1022712
But it knew there was tons of room ahead of the lead cars, so it made no sense. And the vehicle ahead was moving rapidly, at least 10-15mph, so it was clear that space would be available and there was no need to wait for it to open up.

Reactions: Daniel in SD
Unless one is in CANADA, the pedestrian in the middle of the road and not at a crosswalk or intersection does NOT have right of way… that’s JAYWALKING… now, if you HIT them, you’re at fault for sure, but cars or drivers stopping randomly in the middle of a regular road, where there is NO intersection, NO crosswalk, NO zebra stripes, etc. for a pedestrian who decides to step off and cross a fluid bi-directional line of moving vehicles…. That’s just inviting other drivers to crash into cars, go AROUND - which is worse, etc.
Oops, I was actually imagining a crosswalk or at an intersection. No crosswalk is a much more complicated case.

In Canada, there is no jaywalking, but there is interfering with traffic and pedestrians outside crosswalks don't have right of way.

Reactions: FSDtester#1
But it knew there was tons of room ahead of the lead cars, so it made no sense. And the vehicle ahead was moving rapidly, at least 10-15mph, so it was clear that space would be available and there was no need to wait for it to open up.
How did it know the amount of space in front of the box truck?
From the tentacle, it decided immediately upon seeingbl the line to stop there and stayed committed to that choice.

Start booking!

Can’t imagine there are many takers for his $150/hr FSD Demo.

But still pretty admirable. And you have helped drive his engagement which is good.

Last edited:
How did it know the amount of space in front of the box truck?
From the tentacle, it decided immediately upon seeingbl the line to stop there and stayed committed to that choice.
I don’t know, but it knew! (Excellent - and required of course.)

Not sure why the space in FRONT of the box truck was relevant. I assume you mean behind the truck.

Anyway it was something like 100-150 feet to the truck from the border of the keep clear zone closer to the intersection. Someone can find the location and provide the measurements. But it is a huge space, obviously.

Last edited:
In Canada, there is no jaywalking, but there is interfering with traffic and pedestrians outside crosswalks don't have right of way.
I’m not sure what this is saying, but in CA when a pedestrian steps off the curb, and NOT only at an intersection or crosswalk even, vehicles are supposed to come to a stop. Maybe that has changed in the last 24 years since I lived there, but it was VERY different than anywhere in the USA.

Last edited:
If car maintained lane, would be in outside lane on turn. This would conflict with Tesla’s/FSD’s path.
If oncoming car cut lane to inside turn lane, then final FSD position and car’s final position would conflict.
Reviewing the path changes, perhaps 12.2.1 basically did consider what you described for both the right turn lane selection and subsequent lane change maneuvers. 1) Initially it correctly detected a gap in the outside lane to turn into with the long blue path into the right lane. 2) However, some reason it then decided it should wait for oncoming vehicles for it to turn directly into the left lane -- perhaps it saw the queue and determined there wouldn't be enough space to make the right then immediate lane change. (There's been various other videos of 12.x smoothly crossing multiple lanes immediately after a right turn, so presumably it would have done the same if there was no oncoming traffic.) 3) Seems like once it noticed the last oncoming left turn vehicle was approaching, it decided to abort waiting and just continue into the right lane.

12.2.1 right selection.jpg

After this sequence, end-to-end immediately noticed the honking vehicle had slowed down enough for it to complete the lane change. This all was complicated by both the oncoming vehicle and 12.x being impatient, but the quick decisions after getting itself into the situation seemed reasonable.

Has there been any news/updates since the release of 12.2.1 (on 2/18) that fixes the auto speed issues and deployment will continue soon?
I see videos of other drives providing feedback so I wonder if there are other concerns they are addressing before the next version/deployment.
Wish there was some communication from Tesla rather than complete silence.

• Funny
Reactions: jebinc
I’m not sure what this is saying, but in CA when a pedestrian steps off the curb, and NOT only at an intersection or crosswalk even, vehicles are supposed to come to a stop. Maybe that has changed in the last 24 years since I lived there, but it was VERY different than anywhere in the USA.
Based on my Google results, it has changed from that.
(CA meaning Canada, not California)
Local US city ordinance calls for stopping if they are just standing on the sidewalk at a crossing.

• Informative
Reactions: FSDtester#1